Help - any hack to increase scrolling speed?

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Hello to everyone. Long time AC user, but first post in the Optimus S forums.

I have an Optimus S, stock ROM. It does everything well except 1 thing: laggy browser scrolling. I've been getting this a lot, and it's surprisingly frustrating.

I intend to root eventually, but I don't have a desktop PC so I can't right now. Is there any way or hack to increase the browser scrolling speed? Should I be looking at other browsers to optimize performance?

I think the Optimus S lacks a GPU. Maybe the problem lies there?

Thanks for any help.

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
The Optimus S has a gpu, Adreno 200 I think. And to answer your question. Best bet for lag reduction in general is to root, rom, and overclock it. You wouldn't believe how much better the customs roms are.

Edit: reread your post and realized I missed the part about no pc, what baseband are you on? It's in the about phone screen. LS670ZVD can be rooted easily without a pc using gingerbreak.apk

Tapatalk'n it from my VM670 running OM-Mandylion on LS670ZVJ firmware

Last edited:

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
The Optimus S has a gpu, Adreno 200 I think. And to answer your question. Best bet for lag reduction in general is to root, rom, and overclock it. You wouldn't believe how much better the customs roms are.

Edit: reread your post and realized I missed the part about no pc, what baseband are you on? It's in the about phone screen. LS670ZVD can be rooted easily without a pc using gingerbreak.apk

It can also be noted that once you root on zvd baseband, you can install a custom recovery via terminal emulator (do not use rom manager!!!). And also if you are on the ZVJ baseband there are easy methods to roll back to the zvd baseband for that no PC root method.

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
My phone is ZVJ. I wanted to root my phone and I thought (or hoped) that rooting the S would be like rooting the V. But I was reading the forums and the most official threads said I needed to roll back the firmware first to ZVD for my phone.

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
My phone is ZVJ. I wanted to root my phone and I thought (or hoped) that rooting the S would be like rooting the V. But I was reading the forums and the most official threads said I needed to roll back the firmware first to ZVD for my phone.

Zvd can be rooted the same as the V its h and j that need a pc

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Zvd can be rooted the same as the V its h and j that need a pc

Yep lol, I think that's my bad luck :p.

I'm curious about the firmware, was ZVD updated to ZVJ to stop rooting or something?

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Yep lol, I think that's my bad luck :p.

I'm curious about the firmware, was ZVD updated to ZVJ to stop rooting or something?

Zvd=froyo
zvh=borked gingerbread
zvj=fixed gingerbread

Each time they make a new version they close the old root exploit.

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Zvd=froyo
zvh=borked gingerbread
zvj=fixed gingerbread

Each time they make a new version they close the old root exploit.

Sweet, thanks for that info, very helpful.

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Sweet, thanks for that info, very helpful.

Np, you know since your not rooted you can just flash the official zvd update.zip to get to zvd right? No pc needed to revert.

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Np, you know since your not rooted you can just flash the official zvd update.zip to get to zvd right? No pc needed to revert.

I'm not following you. I have: ZVJ firmware, stock recovery and I'm not rooted. Therefore I'm supposed to follow these instructions, right? http://shop2.sprint.com/en/software_downloads/pda_smartphone/lg_optimus_s.shtml.

From what I see, I have to hook the Optimus up to a PC. Are you saying you can do the ZVD downgrade WITHOUT a PC???

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm not following you. I have: ZVJ firmware, stock recovery and I'm not rooted. Therefore I'm supposed to follow these instructions, right? http://shop2.sprint.com/en/software_downloads/pda_smartphone/lg_optimus_s.shtml.

From what I see, I have to hook the Optimus up to a PC. Are you saying you can do the ZVD downgrade WITHOUT a PC???

That's exactly what I'm saying there's an official update.zip that can be flashed from stock recovery to downgrade to ZVD.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=123855

Edit: took a look at the link you posted and that's the update.zip I'm talking about and those directions are correct if you download it via a pc. If you can get on a decent wifi connection you can download it directly via your phone and place it on the top level of your sdcard with a file manager from the play store, then follow the non pc related directions

Last edited:

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Awwww yeah, this is awesome! I'm going to install the downgrade in recovery then since I have stock recovery. This will allow me to get rooted w/o a PC. I guess I was following the directions TOO closely, I didn't realize the PC part was really just putting the zip file on SD card! :D

Damn I love you now!! :p

*edit* I just did some research, seems I have to have a PC to root anyways. Ah well. Rooting is much simpler on the V than the S.

Last edited:

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Awwww yeah, this is awesome! I'm going to install the downgrade in recovery then since I have stock recovery. This will allow me to get rooted w/o a PC. I guess I was following the directions TOO closely, I didn't realize the PC part was really just putting the zip file on SD card! :D

Damn I love you now!! :p

*edit* I just did some research, seems I have to have a PC to root anyways. Ah well. Rooting is much simpler on the V than the S.

You dont need a pc to root zvd, it can be done with gingerbreak the same as an OV

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
You dont need a pc to root zvd, it can be done with gingerbreak the same as an OV

That's what I was thinking. But I wanted to do some research, just to make sure. http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...-does-gingerbreak-apk-work-2-3-optimus-s.html
Check post #15. It's dated 2011 though - outdated?

Hey, I have one more question. You've been so helpful catching me up with the S, I really and truly appreciate it. If the Gingerbreak APK does work, and I'm rooted, I can use the ZVJ radio patch and then run ZVJ ROMs. Is that right? I don't need to go through all that ZVJ update and manual root again.

You seem like you've experience with these issues, I can tell. Lol :)

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Never saw that post but i definitely rooted zvd with gingerbreak before and had no issues. And yes you can run zvj roms on zvd radio with the zvj-zvd patch.

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Never saw that post but i definitely rooted zvd with gingerbreak before and had no issues. And yes you can run zvj roms on zvd radio with the zvj-zvd patch.

Liked and thanked. Thank you friend.

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Once you are restored to zvd and you use the gingerbread exploit to gain root, then you are going to need to get a custom recovery in place. You want xionia (forums.androidcentral.com/lg-optimu...covery-xionia-clockwork-cwma-v1-2518-6-a.html ) and you will use an app called flash image GUI from the play store to install it. Just download the recovery image from the thread and use the flash image GUI to install it.

Edit: thewraith does know his stuff, and likely one of the most knowledgable for the Optimus v/s around that still offers help!! I will be honest I have never rooted without a PC so I am glad he was here to help you out.

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Once you are restored to zvd and you use the gingerbread exploit to gain root, then you are going to need to get a custom recovery in place. You want xionia, and you will use an app called flash image GUI from the play store to install it. Just download the recovery image from the thread and use the flash image GUI to install it.

I'd recommend Cannibal Open Touch, ZenGarden Touch Recovery or, TWRP all are more up to date then the aging xionia and their developers can be contacted for support.

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Once you are restored to zvd and you use the gingerbread exploit to gain root, then you are going to need to get a custom recovery in place. You want xionia (forums.androidcentral.com/lg-optimu...covery-xionia-clockwork-cwma-v1-2518-6-a.html ) and you will use an app called flash image GUI from the play store to install it. Just download the recovery image from the thread and use the flash image GUI to install it.

Thank you my friend. In fact, I was just installed the Xionia recovery, looking for a custom ROM. Do you have any suggestions? I'm on ZVD patching to ZVJ is possible if necessary ...

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Thank you my friend. In fact, I was just installed the Xionia recovery, looking for a custom ROM. Do you have any suggestions? I'm on ZVD patching to ZVJ is possible if necessary ...

My personal favorite is OM-Mandylion

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=157006

He supports the OS and OV
Really though it'll come to personal choice, make a backup with your recovery and try a few out.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar