Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By hlxanthus
  • 1 Post By hlxanthus
  • 1 Post By hlxanthus
  • 1 Post By hlxanthus
  • 1 Post By _alexkta
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    CM9-Oxygen

Default Unusual behavior with the Optimus...AGAIN!!

A little help here: when installing apps, I can't seem to get it done. I get oddball "unknown error during application install: -24" error messages, and in some cases, either "Package file is invalid" or out of space errors. Thing is, this ol' girl seems to have plenty of memory left (at least, those are the numbers as given by Titanium Backup), so there isn't much excuse for this happening. Here's my current setup: BobZhome CM10 with Sprint patch, System ROM: 166MB (12.2MB free), Internal RAM: 172MB (147MB free), SD: 14.8GB (5.04GB free), SD-EXT: 959MB (60.5MB free). I've tried battery pulls (whenever there weren't random automatic reboots), I've tried clearing cache/data from the Play Store & Google Services Framework, hell, I've even tried wiping cache from recovery...all to no avail. What in the lost galaxy is going on here, and what do I do about it?

Another thing: I'm considering getting another phone; I can't exactly afford much, but I've had my eye on a Nexus One that's pretty cheap on Amazon, and my fiance said she may get it for me. How is that phone compared to this old girl? Especially the battery life...(I don't particularly like HTC phones...their crappy battery life is a major deal-murderer.) I know there's plenty of info on rooting the Nexus One here and plenty of ROMs over on XDA, so if I wind up getting it (assuming it's worthwhile), I'd like to be prepared.

ROM
    Cold As Ice

Default Re: Unusual behavior with the Optimus...AGAIN!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shinkenred View Post
    System ROM: 166MB (12.2MB free),
    Try uninstalling some other apps. as you show us with only 12 mb you cant install anything.

ROM
    RasbeanJelly/DanteRom v4

Dalvik2Dev Mod - provided by jstntp

[BOX=.]Jstntp originally made this for HydroRom, and has given me permission to release it here. This mod is necessary to correct the Play Store error "Package File Is Invalid." This happens due usually to a large number of user installed apps. All user apps load partially into the Dalvik Cache during first boot. But the Play Store also needs space there during app installation. So the result is that new apps fail during installation. By moving the Dalvik Cache instead to the Dev partition it eleviates that space. The drawback, is that it is wiped on every boot and regenerated, so boot times are a little longer with this mod in place, so only use if you are getting this error.[/BOX]

[BOX=Installation instructions]-Download - dalvik2dev-HydroRom-ZVJ.zip and place on the root of the SD Card.
    -Boot to recovery
    -Wipe Cache and Dalvik Cache
    -Flash dalvik2dev-HydroRom-ZVJ.zip
    -Reboot and enjoy![/BOX]
    Thanked by 2:
    On3wheels and Shinkenred like this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

ROM
    CM9-Oxygen

Thanks, hlxanthus.
    UPDATE: Uh-oh. May have spoke too soon. The error message "Unknown error during application install: -24" still shows up. Let's see...

I think, sonicbluemustang, that the System ROM is where the OS goes.
    Last edited by Shinkenred; 02-17-2013 at 01:39 PM.

ROM
    RasbeanJelly/DanteRom v4

Honestly, I would post over in that roms read. Perhaps it is a gapps issue that I don't know about. That would be my guess if the dalvik2dev did not fix the problem. When you set up your current rom, did you do a FULL wipe (a recovery factory reset, format system, format boot or you can flash zefies format all zip prior, I can post a link if you need it). Also make sure your wipes wiped the sd-ext as well. Also check if the format of your sd-ext matches those required by the a2sd mod the rom requires. Hope this helps and sorry we don't have better suggestions.

On a side note, the nexus one is older than the Optimus s even if its specs are a bit better, has only a small bit more internal storage (190 mb vs 155 or less on stock based roms on the optiS) and does have an sdcard, odd as that seems now in a nexus device. Oh, and it doesn't work on sprint, only a gsm device. Might not be the deal it seems.
    Thanked by:
    Shinkenred likes this.
    Racer of Elevators

Global Posts
    1,139 Global Posts
    ROM
    Paranoid Android / CM7

Too. Many. Apps.
    You have a limited system memory and <10% free on that and then you have filled up almost 1GB on an SD-EXT partition, so <10% remaining on that, too. Either you have a bunch of junk apps on this thing or your use cries for a device with more storage capabilities.
    If you are inclined to spend a lot of money and want a pretty trophy with which to pass the next few years of your life that talks to you in a condescending voice, can't navigate to save its life, expects full control over all you do, demands $13 for a $3 purchase, allegedly has a single recessed button, needs an expensive computer and a credit card to do anything, hates your music and has purses designed just for it...

Get married to someone you hate... or get an iPhone.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    New to LG's premium Android phone? Check out the Optimus S Welcome Guide.
    Used ROM Mangler on your Optimus S and having problems? Try this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

ROM
    CM9-Oxygen

Quote Originally Posted by epidenimus View Post
    Too. Many. Apps.
    You have a limited system memory and <10% free on that and then you have filled up almost 1GB on an SD-EXT partition, so <10% remaining on that, too. Either you have a bunch of junk apps on this thing or your use cries for a device with more storage capabilities.
    So apps actually ARE stored in System Memory and the Internal Memory has nothing to do with it? Oh, wow...strange considering that both the phone's readout (under the Storage section of the Settings Menu) AND the readout in TB both say that there's around 141MB to work with. If that's the case, just out of curiosity, then what exactly is the Internal Memory used for with the Optimus S?

ROM
    RasbeanJelly/DanteRom v4

When you have a bunch of apps loaded, you fill up the dalvik cache with bits and pieces of them. When a new app is choosen to install, it will verify there is enough space left in dalvik to install and run. If not, you get the package invalid error. On the Optimus s you are seeing that even if you trick the phone into having more internal storage, you are over taxing the dalvik virtual machine that runs your apks and stores its info within the dalvik cache. You also go to remember, Bobzhomes likely had to do many other trickery to get his jellybean to boot and run. Could be you have just reached the limitation of what that rom can do.

Edit http://forums.androidcentral.com/and...tall-24-a.html

Looks like the error code 24 is thought to be caused by not doing a full wipe of your data partition when installing your rom, and happens more specifically on jellybean roms.
    Thanked by:
    Shinkenred likes this.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

ROM
    CM9-Oxygen

Quote Originally Posted by hlxanthus View Post
    When you have a bunch of apps loaded, you fill up the dalvik cache with bits and pieces of them. When a new app is choosen to install, it will verify there is enough space left in dalvik to install and run. If not, you get the package invalid error. On the Optimus s you are seeing that even if you trick the phone into having more internal storage, you are over taxing the dalvik virtual machine that runs your apks and stores its info within the dalvik cache. You also go to remember, Bobzhomes likely had to do many other trickery to get his jellybean to boot and run. Could be you have just reached the limitation of what that rom can do.

Edit http://forums.androidcentral.com/and...tall-24-a.html

Looks like the error code 24 is thought to be caused by not doing a full wipe of your data partition when installing your rom, and happens more specifically on jellybean roms.
    Hmmm...interesting. I had performed a full wipe when I had first installed the rom. Perhaps for now, I should do a full wipe again (twice, for good measure) and try reinstalling the rom outright?

Oh, and as for this...
    Quote Originally Posted by hlxanthus
    On a side note, the nexus one is older than the Optimus s even if its specs are a bit better, has only a small bit more internal storage (190 mb vs 155 or less on stock based roms on the optiS) and does have an sdcard, odd as that seems now in a nexus device. Oh, and it doesn't work on sprint, only a gsm device. Might not be the deal it seems.
    Well, I wasn't planning on going back to Sprint anyway. I can't really afford something more recent like the Galaxy Nexus or GS2 or even current stuff like the GS3 at this time, anyway, so I'm stuck with looking at older things like the Nexus One or maybe the Nexus S. (Doesn't the Nexus One take up to 32GB cards like the OptiS?)
    Last edited by Shinkenred; 02-20-2013 at 04:36 PM.

ROM
    RasbeanJelly/DanteRom v4

I have the nexus s 4g and love it if you discount sprints horrible service. I would go that route if it was me, but no sdcard slot. But I honestly don't miss it, and I love the plethora of roms available for me.
    Thanked by:
    Shinkenred likes this.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

ROM
    CM9-Oxygen

Quote Originally Posted by hlxanthus View Post
    I have the nexus s 4g and love it if you discount sprints horrible service. I would go that route if it was me, but no sdcard slot. But I honestly don't miss it, and I love the plethora of roms available for me.
    Still not planning on going back to Sprint. Maybe I'll find a GSM-based Nexus S for cheap (I've seen a couple of them) and go with Straight Talk or Simple Mobile.

ROM
    RasbeanJelly/DanteRom v4

the nexus s IS gsm and not a bad idea.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

ROM
    CM9-Oxygen

So noted. Now, back to the Optimus: I've gotten rid of quite a few apps...but it still is acting screwy with installing apps. (No more "Package File is invalid", but plenty of the "Unknown error code during application install: -24" if I go through the Play Store, and *still* plenty of "Out of Space" if I go through App Installer. I wonder how many apps at most the ol' girl can REALLY handle having...and if perhaps I need to dump some MORE apps...hmmm...)

ROM
    MIUI GB

I got a problem, but I really don't wanna start a new thread for it.
    My sister has the optimus S and its missing some file, its not saying anymore
    It would boot straight into recovery and I can't access it with adb, and now its just bootlooping
    Does anyone have a stock update.zip I can use?
    Or even a custom recovery that uses update.zip to install, rather than adb

ROM
    RasbeanJelly/DanteRom v4

Are you getting into a stock recovery or is it a custom one? Makes a difference on how to proceed.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinkenred View Post
    So noted. Now, back to the Optimus: I've gotten rid of quite a few apps...but it still is acting screwy with installing apps. (No more "Package File is invalid", but plenty of the "Unknown error code during application install: -24" if I go through the Play Store, and *still* plenty of "Out of Space" if I go through App Installer. I wonder how many apps at most the ol' girl can REALLY handle having...and if perhaps I need to dump some MORE apps...hmmm...)
    I've had that error before to fix it I just logged out from my Gmail account in accounts & sync in the settings menu and logged back in

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    Shinkenred likes this.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

ROM
    CM9-Oxygen

Wow. This is annoying. I've downloaded several games that simply WON'T work. This hasn't exactly been a problem per se, but what's going on now is just bizarre. Here's the rundown...
    Sonic 4 Episode II & Candy Crush Saga: Crashes EVERY SINGLE TIME the moment the screen goes dark after touching the icon to boot up the game. And I've downloaded BOTH apks from three different locations each online!!
    MapleStory Live Deluxe: It looks like it'll start up, until it shoots an ANR error and then going on to say "The game will shut down due to a certification error", so it doesn't even make it to where you have to download the extra data.
    Final Fantasy Dimensions: This one I understand least of all. I followed the installation directions to the letter (copy the three files in the RAR to Titanium Backup, go into TB and Restore App+Data, copy the file com.square_enix.android.googleplay.ffl_gp to the folder Android/obb, and then run the game)...but it crashes, for no apparent reason other than "An error has occurred."
    Dark Summoner: A perfect download fresh from the Play Store...yet it JUST caused the Optimus to reboot itself for no apparent reason.
    Tiny Tower: STILL won't install. And this is the FIFTH apk from a FIFTH location. So you mean to tell me that a 21MB apk file WILL NOT install at all when I've had LARGER ones install JUST FINE!? (By comparison, I got the 38MB Power Rangers Card Scanner app from the Play Store with NO problem...and it CAN'T be moved to SD, either. The current version of Candy Crush is 32MB, and it downloads and installs just fine...even though it won't actually WORK.)

Hey guys am a total noob but am facing the same problem with plants vs zombies and wild blood game just crash on start i have a samsung galaxy s3
    android 4.1.2 and downloaded them from many different sites including the aptoid app
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

ROM
    CM9-Oxygen

Okay...thinking that now it may be time for a different ROM altogether. The App Manager in the Settings menu has a bad habit of crashing on its own, it has an even harder time than ever with downloads, it now gives App Not Responding errors A LOT, and it's gotten to where it will actually freeze up outright for no apparent reason. (It still has a habit of random reboots, too.)

Any time I get this error or any playstore error on any phone or any rom I boot to recovery, wipe cache wipe dalvik cache, reboot...then log into/accept terms for play store if it makes u, then close play store by pressing back til out. Then make sure auto sync set up in settings, and don't touch play store for 30mins to an hour...if u need certain apps so bad save apks on SD card or make titanium backup zip to flash in recovery so u can restore backed up apps...every time this happens its because time enough wasn't given to finish updating...also u must have at least 27mb free in system to download apps from playstore, unless u use link2sd or similar method to put playstore on ext partition...

I should take a bath in tomato juice cuz I always smell like skunk
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

ROM
    CM9-Oxygen

Yeah...that doesn't work anymore. Not for me, anyway.

ROM
    kravenParanoid test39 ZVJ

Well, while I don't fully understand the specifics of it... those older versions of a2sd do come with a warning that seems to be left out most of the time:

[SCRIPTS]CronMod-INT2EXT (updated 02/28) - xda-developers
    -100mb internal is needed for every 500mb sd-ext
    Which would seem to imply to me that at 959 MB on sd-ext you are well beyond capacity...

If you feel like taking things apart and trying again from a clean build... I've been using (slightly modified) versions of obijohn's int2ext script for awhile, and managed to get some pretty heavily loaded test setups (I got up to around ~1.4GB on my 2GB sd-ext at one point iirc) - but I was using the plus version and manually linking several of my cache folders to keep my data partition from overflowing with cache too so... your mileage may vary, I suppose?

Also if you want to use obijohn's scripts you need a working rsync binary - JBC/PAC includes one, but for most other roms you'll want a statically compiled one... I've been using this one: rsync your Android [asksven]
    (only binary I could find that actually runs properly on my phone, newer static binaries from debian site fail to run for me)
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

ROM
    CM9-Oxygen

Quote Originally Posted by vector84an View Post
    Well, while I don't fully understand the specifics of it... those older versions of a2sd do come with a warning that seems to be left out most of the time:

[SCRIPTS]CronMod-INT2EXT (updated 02/28) - xda-developers

Which would seem to imply to me that at 959 MB on sd-ext you are well beyond capacity...

If you feel like taking things apart and trying again from a clean build... I've been using (slightly modified) versions of obijohn's int2ext script for awhile, and managed to get some pretty heavily loaded test setups (I got up to around ~1.4GB on my 2GB sd-ext at one point iirc) - but I was using the plus version and manually linking several of my cache folders to keep my data partition from overflowing with cache too so... your mileage may vary, I suppose?

Also if you want to use obijohn's scripts you need a working rsync binary - JBC/PAC includes one, but for most other roms you'll want a statically compiled one... I've been using this one: rsync your Android [asksven]
    (only binary I could find that actually runs properly on my phone, newer static binaries from debian site fail to run for me)
    Interesting. It doesn't particularly say if that applies to A2SD/A2SD+/A2SD++ - the script I was running is A2SD++ - but it seems to apply to the INT2EXT scripts.

And I started fresh with a new ROM...but it's being problematic already.