Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Default Re: [ROM][MOD][THEME] Bean_Whiz-CM10 Updated 12/03/2013

Thank you AndyOpie for such a great ROM.

I followed the instructions but link2sd just kept giving me grief. It only moved part of the data on each app. I searched and played with different answers and found what i think is a better alternative: S2E.

a) i deleted/cleared everything on my phone
    b) i created a 1GB ext partition
    c) installed the ROM, the virgin fix, and the gapps then rebooted
    d) went to the Play store and installed S2E (Simple2Ext). This script mounts /data to /sd-ext. I have everything (paid apps, private apps, app data, dalvik cache) pointing to /sd-ext

Now i have about 60 apps using close to 750MB of space yet /data is only 3%:

[ROM][MOD][THEME] Bean_Whiz-CM10 Updated 05/02/2014-1387517302914.jpg

I don't have to worry about moving things back and forth, cleaning caches daily, etc. I just install any app i want and let it use as much cache as it needs. Android still sees the /data as being 179MB in size but reports a negative amount of usage space! The phone is fully functional and doesn't feel slow. It feels like the phone is brand new and modern. The only thing broken is the speakerphone.

If anybody has questions or needs helps i would be glad to assist.

Edwin
    Thanked by:
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #227  

ROM
    Bean_Whiz-CM10v2.2.2CX

Will have to check it out. Thanks.

Posted via Android Central App

I flashed with CronMod Int2Ext+ and haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary. 541MB free in internal, everything seems to run just fine. Apps are a little laggy sometimes, but that's probably more about the memory being dragged down by the OS.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #229  

ROM
    Bean_Whiz-CM10v2.2.2CX

Be very careful with the CronMod Int2Ext+ script. You can not download a terminal emulator with that script. It will auto install it to the ext partition on the sd card. If you try to flash a recovery with that terminal, it will bork your phones recovery partition so bad only fastboot commands will save it, and then only if you can boot into the bootloader.
    That is why I took the other version of Bean_Whiz with the sd ext script out of the first post.
    You would be better off with Link2SD which gives you more control over where an app goes.

Note: I still haven't seen a terminal emulator that will allow for it to be flashed in the ROM.zip without getting borked either.

ROM
    CM9-Oxygen

Gotcha...Will do when I get a chance.

Sent from my LG-LS670 using AC Forums mobile app

I flashed this on my spare phone and was surprised at how well it works! I haven't been able to test the radio because the phone is not activated but it's surprisingly fast and smooth. Nice work, Andy and Kraven! I used the recovery that you recommended and link2sd. /system is pretty full with 13% free and only a couple of apps installed and everything possible linked to sd.

And 4.4 will probably be even better, if you guys manage to work out the rest of the issues.

Here are a couple of things I noticed... MIT AI2 Companion crashes when I try to pair with the phone on this rom, but it works on mirage. The voice search seems to be working, but doesn't return the results for what was said. But if I use the voice input through touchpal, that seems to work. I did install the version of gapps that you recommended for voice search.

It's kind of nice having a spare Optimus V to experiment with! I contacted virgin and they said I can switch between phones myself online but if I have them do it for me, they charge $10. The ESN has been activated on a different virgin account previously, so I don't THINK it needs to be "activated" again - right? I think/hope I could switch between phones even though they are running cyanogenmod. Can anyone confirm this? Confirmed with virgin support - they said I can switch back and forth between two activated virgin phones as often as I wish by using the web form without charge.

I haven't found a situation where I needed a terminal emulator or needed to flash a recovery from terminal. I should get better with Link2SD.

ROM
    Tapatalk Signature~

Does this by chance, work with squids kernel?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

ROM
    Changes Daily

It should work fine... I'd make a backup and try it.... I think I'll give it a shot later since I'm already on the rom right now.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #235  

ROM
    Bean_Whiz-CM10v2.2.2CX

I actually don't think it will. Make a back-up for sure and for certain, before trying to flash it.
    Let me know how well it functions with this ROM. Curiosity has gotten
    the better of me.

Thanked by:
    nitestalkr likes this.

ROM
    Tapatalk Signature~

Once it's fully charged, i'll try it out with squids 3.0.8 beta3 kernel.
    Hoping it helps with some of the lag I'm experiencing.
    Oh, and another question: a while ago, on an earlier build(unsure of version) I was messing around with the start-up tweaks, and I think when I was messing with the sd boost settings, it completely borked out on me, everything began failing, and I think it led to my 32GB sdcard to lock up. Sometimes it reads, but only in file manager not in other apps(gallery, camera, music, etc). I've tried to format it, and wipe it clean, but no dice. Even tried to do a DoD 7pass format. So, my question is this, is my sdcard done for? Tired of this 4GB replacement.

12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #237  

ROM
    Bean_Whiz-CM10v2.2.2CX

Thanks for heads up.
    I hate to say this, but, you can only use no more than 20% of the actual space available on the sd card for the partition. Any more will cause premature failure.
    Link2SD and most sd ext scripts need a 1GB partition to function properly.
    20% of 4GB is only 800MB. You probably only have 3.7GB actual space available.
    You need at least an 8GB micro SD card.

ROM
    Changes Daily

Quote Originally Posted by AndyOpie150 View Post
    I actually don't think it will. Make a back-up for sure and for certain, before trying to flash it.
    Let me know how well it functions with this ROM. Curiosity has gotten
    the better of me.

I just tried with beta3 and it didnt even make it to the slim rom animation.

o_O

ROM
    bigsuperROM_os2sd

Quote Originally Posted by thewraith420 View Post
    I just tried with beta3 and it didnt even make it to the slim rom animation.

I installed beta2 and got it to work. beta3 should work as well, whatever was different in it was minor.
    you need to flash the removecharger zip after the kernel.
    something in the offline charging locks it up every time.
    it was on my out-of-service phone but wifi worked.
    keep the wife happy with my dev time:
    donate!
    the THANKS button is quite acceptable if you're as stingy as me, too.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Tapatalk Signature~

Thanks for heads up.
    I hate to say this, but, you can only use no more than 20% of the actual space available on the sd card for the partition. Any more will cause premature failure.
    Link2SD and most sd ext scripts need a 1GB partition to function properly.
    20% of 4GB is only 800MB. You probably only have 3.7GB actual space available.
    You need at least an 8GB micro SD card.
    Everything is functioning fine with my 4GB card with a ~480mb ext2 partition, using link2sd.
    So I take it that nothing can be done about my 32GB card?
    Also, about to test out the beta3, family holiday function took a bit longer than expected, so i'll report back momentarily with my results.

ROM
    Changes Daily

I just got up and running with beta3 after you mentioned the remove charger.zip I decided to try beta3 the same way and it worked but i lost wifi. Did some poking around and found out the wifi module didn't flash properly due to /system being full. So i removed a couple system apps I dont use and reflashed the kernel a now it works

Edit :by the way I think if i remember right beta3 is just beta2 with removecharger.zip integrated... I think

ROM
    Tapatalk Signature~

I also can comfirm beta3 working, with a few extra tweaks as mentioned above. Although, in about phone, beta3 still reads as beta2b.
    So far, major implements in speed compared to before.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails [ROM][MOD][THEME] Bean_Whiz-CM10 Updated 05/02/2014-uploadfromtaptalk1387958399252.jpg  

ROM
    CM9-Oxygen

Oh, dear...now this sounds like a memory card on its way down the toilet: just yesterday, it went into sleep mode and wouldn't wake up. Battery pull...and reboot...it caused a bootloop. Tried clearing cache & dalvik, several times...bootloop wouldn't go away. Dirty flashed the ROM...no more bootloop, but now everything else is wrecked. Linked apps aren't there, or so it seems (they don't show up in the app drawer, but, restoring through TB acts as if they're replacing existing apps). Link2SD doesn't seem to be behaving, either. TouchWiz theme & apk seem missing, too.

If I have to wipe and start over, I am NOT going to be a happy camper...

19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #244  

ROM
    Bean_Whiz-CM10v2.2.2CX

Thanks for info on bigsupersquids beta3 kernel. More info would be appreciated. Try benchmark testing the ROM with it and then with thekravens supplied kernel. Also try multi tasking with browser and some other resouce intensive app. Battery drain rate should be monitored as well.

20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #245  

ROM
    Bean_Whiz-CM10v2.2.2CX

Shinkenred: Did you make a backup? Did you put a terminal emulator on the partition or download an app permission manager?
    Who made the 32GB SD card? What have you done with it so far?

o_O

ROM
    bigsuperROM_os2sd

Quote Originally Posted by thewraith420 View Post
    I just got up and running with beta3 after you mentioned the remove charger.zip I decided to try beta3 the same way and it worked but i lost wifi. Did some poking around and found out the wifi module didn't flash properly due to /system being full. So i removed a couple system apps I dont use and reflashed the kernel a now it works

Edit :by the way I think if i remember right beta3 is just beta2 with removecharger.zip integrated... I think

ah. the 'integration' didn't work as I recall, so I pulled it. it says 2b in phone info because I never updated it.
    keep the wife happy with my dev time:
    donate!
    the THANKS button is quite acceptable if you're as stingy as me, too.

ROM
    CM9-Oxygen

Shinkenred: Did you make a backup? Did you put a terminal emulator on the partition or download an app permission manager?
    Who made the 32GB SD card? What have you done with it so far?

...my memory card is 16GB, not 32. SanDisk. App permission manager or terminal emulator: no on both counts. (They actually HAVE app permission managers out there!? Odd.) Made a backup before the dirty flash and even that bootloops. Probably the card, I've had it for quite a while (it was preinstalled with my BlackBerry Storm 2 when I got that in 2009, I wiped it before putting it in the Optimus, which I got in 2010).

Also, sleep mode doesn't quite work (screen goes dark, but device DOES NOT lock), the settings button in the notification drawer doesn't work, and the Home button doesn't work...all usually indicators of needing to wipe and flash again. Which wouldn't be a problem, except I don't have wi-fi at home to regain Link2SD or TB via Play Store, lol...

23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #248  

ROM
    Bean_Whiz-CM10v2.2.2CX

It does seems like it could be the SD card thats the problem. How big of a partition did you make?
    Is there any way you can get to a public library or McDonalds and use their WiFi to download?
    Also: Make sure you have the same recovery installed that you made the backup with so you can restore the backup (some backups are picky that way).

I was wondering if anyone has the 3g fix applied and working...I mean i'm getting almost nothing on my OV..I can't even download apps..Everything else is working good though...Odd...

ROM
    Changes Daily

3g fix? This ROM works as good as any as far as service.. If your in a bad area then there isn't much you can do... AFAIK

Sent from my LG-LS670 using Tapatalk
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast