LG Optimus S: 4.4 KitKat?

skinbark

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Re: 4.4 KitKat?

I pushed all my changes. The libcamera is in the msm7x27-common and vendor lge. Still ends with the libc error. And I added the libemoji in the qcom device folder. Even more errors pop up when I added to the Board kernel command line in thunderc. : androidboot.selinux=permissive
The libc error is the adreno error I was talking about, same error. That's where it crashes and loops.This is what we need to see to know we got past it:
Code:
I/System  (   97): Loaded time zone names for "" in 316ms (288ms in ICU)
I/System  (   97): Loaded time zone names for "en_US" in 199ms (172ms in ICU)
I/Zygote  (   97): ...preloaded 2778 classes in 11203ms.
I/Zygote  (   97): Preload resources disabled, skipped.
W/linker  (   97): libgsl.so has text relocations. This is wasting memory and is a security risk. Please fix.
W/linker  (   97): libEGL_adreno200.so has text relocations. This is wasting memory and is a security risk. Please fix.
D/libEGL  (   97): loaded /system/lib/egl/libEGL_adreno200.so
W/linker  (   97): libGLESv1_CM_adreno200.so has text relocations. This is wasting memory and is a security risk. Please fix.
W/linker  (   97): libGLESv2_adreno200.so has text relocations. This is wasting memory and is a security risk. Please fix.
D/libEGL  (   97): loaded /system/lib/egl/libGLESv1_CM_adreno200.so
D/libEGL  (   97): loaded /system/lib/egl/libGLESv2_adreno200.so
I/dalvikvm(   97): System server process 461 has been created
I/Zygote  (   97): Accepting command socket connections
Edit:
Actually it might be the dalvikvm crashing when it tries to start SystemServer. I looked at the dalvikvm commits and it doesn't seem to have changed between 4.4.0 and 4.4.1 so it might be something in the SystemServer code. It looks like the dalvik tries to allocate memory for the SystemServer process and libc throws a segfault which means a bad memory address (out-of-bounds). I already tried an older bionic version and still got the error so I think libc is ok, and like I said the dalvikvm doesn't seem to have changed significantly.

Last edited:

skinbark

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site

SUCCESS!!!
I got KitKat to boot! I downloaded the 4.4.0 and pre Dec. 5 versions of the following packages and put them in place of the new ones:
android_bionic-58a398f785ca601bf1173ac25f955d68bfce91dd
android_frameworks_base-e2a600ad88850a0c22eb78e69afbb6d101a8f5fb
android_frameworks_native-33b2b748229548768c588e8cfa9a883348057003
android_libcore-stable-cm-11.0
android_libnativehelper-stable-cm-11.0
android_packages_apps_CertInstaller-stable-cm-11.0
android_packages_providers_MediaProvider-stable-cm-11.0
android_system_core-d9f8ed85db85aab80457d3232f964d1b6db26787
The ones with the SHA keys are from androidarmv6 and the other ones are from CyanogenMod.
I don't know which of these contains the solution to the problem, most likely libcore and/or system_core, but when I downgraded frameworks_base I ended up having to downgrade a few other packages to get it to compile. You might try a build with just the downgraded libcore and see if that's sufficient.
Here's a link to the rom (currently very useless):
https://app.box.com/s/x2d1796z0yuib5073q8y

Last edited:

Toucan4267

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site

Congrats! You all are awesome! 1 month 10 days of work from 1st post! Can't wait to run Kit Kat on my Optimus! Thanks everyone, so much!

skinbark

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site

That's great news. It looks like just the libcore is all that is need to be backtracked to get it to boot. Gerrit Code Review

Now maybe PAC 4.3 can boot.
I tried a build a little while ago with just the libcore backtracked and it crashed on the same error so I guess it's not that. I'm going to try just system_core next. Also packages_apps_Bluetooth is fixed but packages_apps_Settings was still broken.

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

Wow! Great job guys. I just flashed the skinbarks cm11 zip and it was amazing just to see it booting.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site

I have flashed ROM and have checked it out throughly. There is a lot of work still ahead. Extracted zip and looked in all folders. Extracted and decompiled both Framework.jar files. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary.
Superuser privledges are not functioning, but su and busybox are in the xbin when zip was extracted. Maybe the permissions are not being set right during install or there is a problem in the settings menu with su (can't get into the seetings menu of course).

thekraven: Put the recovery through the ringer, it came out smelling like a rose. Even the "reboot bootloader" option worked.

badblue1__

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site

Congratulations skinbark, you made the members shoutout list for most thanked, "well deserved " and of course CONGRATS on your hard work on kit-kat!

skinbark

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site

I have flashed ROM and have checked it out throughly. There is a lot of work still ahead. Extracted zip and looked in all folders. Extracted and decompiled both Framework.jar files. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary.
Superuser privledges are not functioning, but su and busybox are in the xbin when zip was extracted. Maybe the permissions are not being set right during install or there is a problem in the settings menu with su (can't get into the seetings menu of course).

thekraven: Put the recovery through the ringer, it came out smelling like a rose. Even the "reboot bootloader" option worked.
The rom I put up was a total kludge, just to show it booting. I got my code organized more properly and I should have a more proper rom to post soon. I still haven't isolated the source of the booting problem but I backtracked almost everything in the build to 4.4.0 so it should be 'okay' for the most part. I'm building now and hope to get something better up later tonight.

dradzanowski

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site

Anyone have a "for dummies" version of TWRP ( or CWM if that's what is loading Skinbarks ROM) instead of building an environment and all that jazz? I'm on a nice stable AOKP version of ICS with COT recovery and want to play around with the new ROM and see how bad I can break my phone whilst my darling wife is in Colorado Springs and I have some spare time (bows to Skinbark for masterful wizardry).
COT won't load it (not complaining, more of just a "hell, I'll see if it works out of sheer luck, no ... okay").

Also, maybe someone more into XDA should update their Kit Kat development list for posterity. I haven't reached the "Golden 10" to be able to post at all to anything important.

Last edited:

skinbark

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site

Anyone have a "for dummies" version of TWRP ( or CWM if that's what is loading Skinbarks ROM) instead of building an environment and all that jazz? I'm on a nice stable AOKP version of ICS with COT recovery and want to play around with the new ROM and see how bad I can break my phone whilst my darling wife is in Colorado Springs and I have some spare time (bows to Skinbark for masterful wizardry).
COT won't load it (not complaining, more of just a "hell, I'll see if it works out of sheer luck, no ... okay").

Also, maybe someone more into XDA should update their Kit Kat development list for posterity. I haven't reached the "Golden 10" to be able to post at all to anything important.
Grab thekraven's CWM 6.0.4.5 from post #202. I built TWRP 2.6.3 but I haven't gotten around to working out the kinks yet.

skinbark

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site

Here's my first 'real' build, it's not much better than the last one. My phone's not activated so I can't properly test it, and it's so stripped down there's not much you can do with it but I uploaded a folder with all the apps and ringtones you'd get with a full cm11 install so you can experiment with it if you want. The keyboard crashes and the wifi is broken. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Back up your sdcard before flashing.
https://app.box.com/s/x2d1796z0yuib5073q8y

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site

Cool. Will check it out throughly and post my findings.
The keyboard on your first realease actually worked pretty good.

skinbark: Could you post a link to the 4.4.0 repo that you used, unless you have updated it into your repo.
Note: I tried doing a repo sync yesterday and got an error? Didn't change anything from the last good repo sync.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site

Grab thekraven's CWM 6.0.4.5 from post #202. I built TWRP 2.6.3 but I haven't gotten around to working out the kinks yet.
That link is dead (file not found). They will need to got to post 173. The direct link to the recovery is an attachment to the post.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

I've been having issues syncing repos. Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS 64 bit.
Code:
fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly
error: RPC failed; result=56, HTTP code = 0
this got past a couple of the errors, but not all at once. multiple syncs required to complete. (I had to quadruple the given buffer size of 524288000 to get results):
Code:
git config --global http.postBuffer 2097152000
from
The remote end hung up unexpectedly while git cloning - Stack Overflow

also, if anyone is messing with AOSP instead of the alternatives, "make droid" is the closest target I can find to bacon. "make help" is now useful as well.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

(bows to Skinbark for masterful wizardry).
I can post it, but need a link to the thread. My search-fu failing.
nvm, found it.
here's a link to the announcement post. you can go to the first page to check the OP for update.
It currently lists the OV (roms: none) but not the OS. Go figure. I bet he'll fix it now.

Last edited:

skinbark

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site

Cool. Will check it out throughly and post my findings.
The keyboard on your first realease actually worked pretty good.

skinbark: Could you post a link to the 4.4.0 repo that you used, unless you have updated it into your repo.
Note: I tried doing a repo sync yesterday and got an error? Didn't change anything from the last good repo sync.

Posted via Android Central App
To get everything back to 4.4.0 I forked the manifest repo from androidarmv6 so you could initialize a new repo with this:
repo init -u git://github.com/skinbark/android.git -b cm-11.0
Or you could go to https://github.com/skinbark/android, fork the repo and use the command above but point it at your fork. Then run 'repo sync'. After downloading the code you add the roomservice file which should include the device files and kernel as well as the twrp recovery. For simplicity's sake use the ones in my github for now. If you leave out the twrp recovery you may get errors that I can't help you with since I didn't build cwm. Run 'repo sync' again to download the device specific files. Run the get-prebuilts command and the command to set your ccache size. After that you should apply the code fixes manually. They are just a few small changes in a few projects and I don't think it's worth forking projects etc just to apply small code changes like that. After I downloaded the code I ran 'git checkout -b local' to create a local branch. The command 'git branch' tells you what branch you're currently on. When you first run 'repo sync' and run 'git branch' it prints (no branch). After running 'git checkout -b local' run 'git branch' and it'll print 'local'.
Once you're on branch local or whatever you choose to call it, enter the directory of the project you're modifying, edit the code and run 'git commit -a'. It'll bring up your default text editor to have you make a note describing your code edit. I just put "modified file so-and-so so it would compile". Save your changes and exit, then move to the next project folder, edit the code and run 'git commit -a'. Don't run repo sync after you've modified the source or it'll mess up your edits. After you've made all the necessary edits, return to the top level directory and run your build commands to build. If you've done it correctly the only error you get should be 'no rule to make target camera.msm7x27.so'. When the error comes up copy libcamera.so into the out directory and run make -j6 bacon again. That should do it. I think the smart way to do a build like this would be to use the latest source like we did before but create a branch containing all the older versions of the projects but I don't know to do that so this is how I did it. Here's a link to the local manifest I used:
[XML] roomservice.xml - Pastebin.com
You can either use roomservice to remove packages from the build or build them all and remove them manually afterwards. I used the local manifest to generate a (very) minimal build.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

For some idiotic reason, aosp art builds fine for armv5te but not armv6.
Now I have to dig for the stuff that's not getting tweaked in the armv6 build section that is set for the armv5te. It's /supposed/ to be upwardly compatible, so I dunno why all the thumb instructions aren't being handled right.

and that last post was a nice bit of info for getting git to cooperate in the repo. thanks.

//edit: grep can't find one line in art that specifies armv5, so the problem is most likely in android_build. could be in dalvik, though, it's the dalvik-to-dalvik translator that's bugging out. stupid dalek vm. "EXTERMINATE AOSP ERRORS!"

Last edited:

skinbark

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site

For some idiotic reason, aosp art builds fine for armv5te but not armv6.
Now I have to dig for the stuff that's not getting tweaked in the armv6 build section that is set for the armv5te. It's /supposed/ to be upwardly compatible, so I dunno why all the thumb instructions aren't being handled right.

and that last post was a nice bit of info for getting git to cooperate in the repo. thanks.
It would be sweet to get art running on our phone, it can use all the help it can get!

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

It would be sweet to get art running on our phone, it can use all the help it can get!

ahhh.
merging the armv6j and armv6-vfp into the armv5te and armv5-vfp makefiles in build/core/arch/arm is a really dirty hack but it gets art to build in aosp for armv5-generic while allowing the other armv6 stuff to build ok.
but I had to use androidarmv6
build, bionic, dalvik, external_chromium_org, external_llvm, and external_skia to get that far. now the dalvik vm crashes with thumb errors.
ugh. all kinds of other asm errors pop up in things that were building ok before messing with build/...
back to the hackery... since it didn't really work.

Last edited: