LG Optimus S: 4.4 KitKat?

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Re: 4.4 KitKat?

I might as well throw my hat in the ring.
What OS have ya'll been using to try and develop? Windows with Virtual box, Linux Distro (which one)?
I now have a 3.33GHz dual core Pentium 4 processor, 64bit architecture, 1GB RAM (can expand to 4GB), dual 80GB hard drives (looking to replace one with a 200GB or bigger), in an old Dell Optiplex GX620DT.
How much hard drive space is needed?
I currently have Windows XP Professional on one hard drive and Linux Mint 15 on the other.

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

I'm using mint 15 64 bit for my experiments.

Tapatalk'n it from my VM-670 running Android 4.3.1 CM-10.2 on LS670ZVJ firmware

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site

That's what I've got (Mate desktop).
I'm also looking for a faster, light weight distro that doesn't need to be updated every week. A Ububntu based probably (at least something with apt-get installed).
Looking at Snowlinux-4 with the enlightnment desktop or Peppermint-4 with the XFCE desktop (64bit versions).

I tried figuring out how to use the Github last year (signed up), but I'm completely lost on it for some reason. Any pointers?
I'd love to help. I have plenty of time.

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

That's what I've got (Mate desktop).
I'm also looking for a faster, light weight distro that doesn't need to be updated every week. A Ububntu based probably (at least something with apt-get installed).
Looking at Snowlinux-4 with the enlightnment desktop or Peppermint-4 with the XFCE desktop (64bit versions).

I tried figuring out how to use the Github last year (signed up), but I'm completely lost on it for some reason. Any pointers?
I'd love to help. I have plenty of time.

I'm using the kde desktop but I use it for my everyday tasks too and I like the eye candy. Mint is based off Ubuntu so any Ubuntu directions work. You'll probably be fine using your current os really or if you like you could just use Ubuntu since that's what Google recommends. I know more ram helps significantly the more the better. I'm a little light on it myself with only 2gb. Most of what I know I've learned through about 4 places. I still visit the directions jerryscript posted in the building your own rom thread. source.android.com and the CyanogenMod site has some directions. And mostly by playing around trying swaping out files and code trying to fix problems myself.
All that said I hardly know what I'm doing with the source code. And still have to learn to commit changes to github.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site

I'm sort of in the same boat, only you are way ahead of me in experience.
If we can get enough members trying to help on the same project we can make more forward progress. That's why I threw my hat into the ring.

Installed Peppermint-4. It's lightweight, uses the LXDE desktop (faster than Unity or Gnome), and still uses the same dependency's and repo's that Ubuntu uses. I think this will work the best for speed, plus I shouldn't have to worry about getting updates that might bork all work on the ROM (reason for choosing Peppermint over all the rest).

EDIT: Almost forgot. Here's a Android SDK install tutorial I made up that will allow you to use shell commands and fastboot commands without having to cd to the platform-tools folder (open up a terminal anywhere and start shell, or fastboot commands).
http://www.mediafire.com/view/ttn7wrrmmmlesjc/Linux_SDK_Install
Makes giving commands to your phone a lot quicker.

Last edited:

skinbark

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site

I installed extra ram and switched back to ubuntu from fedora hoping that would solve my problems building webview but no go, still crashed. I downloaded a rom zip for the p500 from jenkins.androidarmv6.org hoping it would have the webview library compiled but it was missing along with some other chromium stuff, so I'm thinking that it's still broken in androidarmv6. I then attempted to flash the rom I built with COT2.1. It wouldn't flash, it just jumped back to the main screen. I flashed the CWM 6.0.4.5 recovery that was built with the rom and it booted but with a black screen. I can get into it via adb so I know it's running. Now I'm trying to figure out how it works so I can flash my rom and/or fix the recovery for thunderc. wraith420 you're right that's going to have to be done, in the meantime I'm thinking I can use some command like write_raw_image from adb to make it flash the rom. I have to be careful though because when you have a non-functional recovery and a non-working rom you're kind of screwed as far as I know. I don't even know how to fix one of these phones that's in that state. So I have to be sure I can do what I need to from an adb prompt in recovery. But the tricky part is to be sure that I can wipe and flash roms I have to actually do it which risks putting the phone into a ?bricked? state.

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site

skinbark:
You should be able to flash a custom recovery with fastboot commands (you need to be in the fastboot screen).
Put the recovery.img in the sdk folder, in the same folder that the fastboot.exe is in. Get your phone into the fastboot screen (blue screen with white text) by using adb.
Code:
adb shell
reboot bootloader

Open up a terminal in the same folder your fastboot.exe is in and type in:
Code:
fastboot flash recovery <exact full name of recovery.img>
You can also use fastboot commands to erase the partitions.
Code:
fastboot erase recovery
fastboot erase cache
fastboot erase boot
fastboot erase system
fastboot erase userdata

You might also be able to flash the Xionia recovery in it's zipped form like you would a ROM (you don't need to wipe anything). Once you have flashed it, go to the reboot recovery option in the recovery you now have. Once the option is selected it will boot into the Xionia.

Note: To see the current recovery screen use Droid@Screen. This should allow you to see the recovery menu from your computer. The physical up/down and select buttons should work, but might not be the same as a recovery built for our phones, but it should be easy to figure out.

I ended up gettting rid of the 64bit Peppermint. I tried to set up the sdk but no go. It probably has some major dependency issue's.
I ended up installing Xubuntu 12.04LTS 64bit. I know it will work (had the 32bit version on my 32bit machine).
Once I have everything setup I will jump in head first.

EDIT: Here is a more complete guide on fastboot.
Boot device into bootloader
Connect the device to the computer via USB.
On your computer, open terminal and run (you may need elevated privileges for this):
fastboot devices
You should see something similar to:
List of devices attached
XXXXXXXXXXdevice
fastboot --help

usage: fastboot [ <option> ] <command>

commands:
update <filename> reflash device from update.zip
flashall flash boot + recovery + system
flash <partition> [ <filename> ] write a file to a flash partion
erase <partition> erase a flash partition
getvar <variable> display a bootloader variable
boot <kernel> [ <ramdisk> ] download and boot kernel
flash:raw boot <kernel> [ <ramdisk> ] create bootimage and flash it
devices list all connected devices
continue continue with autoboot
reboot reboot device normally
reboot-bootloader reboot device into bootloader

options:
-w erase userdata and cache
-s <serial number> specify device serial number
-p <product> specify product name
-c <cmdline> override kernel commandline
-i <vendor id> specify a custom USB vendor id
-b <base_addr> specify a custom kernel base address
-n <page size> specify the nand page size. default:2048

Manual Nandroid restore
Make a Nandroid backup, and copy the folder off your SD card to your desktop.
cd ~/Desktop/path/to/backup/
fastboot flash userdata data.img
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot reboot
Flash Custom Recovery.img
fastboot flash recovery /path/to/<recovery>.img
fastboot reboot
Flash Custom boot.img
You should make a Nandroid backup first, in case you need to recover your boot.img
fastboot flash boot /path/to/<boot>.img
fastboot reboot
Development
If you are developing a kernel, you may find it helpful to delete your boot.img and recovery.img to force booting into fastboot:
fastboot erase boot
fastboot erase recovery
You can then manually boot from your custom kernel and a ramdisk:
fastboot boot <kernel> <ramdisk>
Once you have a working kernel and ramdisk, you can automatically combine them within fastboot:
fastboot flash:raw boot <kernel> <ramdisk>

Last edited:

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site

I have everything in JerryScripts post in the Building your own ROM thread up to and including #9.
What else do I need?

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

I have everything in JerryScripts post in the Building your own ROM thread up to and including #9.
What else do I need?

Source.Android.com has extra packages listed for 4.4 and so does CyanogenMod build instructions

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

By the way for anyone who doesn't already know... the devs on xda in the p500 section have 4.4 booting.

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

Here ya go!
Although with further reading, its not actually 4.4. It's 4.2 with the experience of 4.4?

By the way it's good to see you still coming back here now and then. I swear the fact that there are still people interested in this phone is just amazing

jonny5449

AC Citizen
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

Just so anybody knows I would be willing to test any builds of the ROM because my optimus s is obsolete. I Dont use it anymore so I Dont care if it gets bricked or not. Let me know :)

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

nitestalkr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

By the way it's good to see you still coming back here now and then. I swear the fact that there are still people interested in this phone is just amazing

Haha, yea, even though I haven't been posting very much at all this past year, I have been checking the forums 2-3 times per week for updates on the latest ROMs. I'm still staying true to my Opti V, for 4 years now. Can't wait to see how far this thing will go before it bursts to flames on an install of a new ROM. :p

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site

When mine bursts into flames I'll just pull out the spare V ( both are original 2.2.1 with unlocked bootloader).

Last edited:

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site

Source.Android.com has extra packages listed for 4.4 and so does CyanogenMod build instructions

I'm having problems figuring out how to download a repo ( I read to much info, in to many places, brain is now locked up). What repo are you using? Could you post code to download that repo? I see there is version 1.19 and 1.20

Maybe I'll try to build the latest Touch Screen ClockworkMod recovery (6) if that would help installing Kit Kat. I would then need the CyanogenMod repo I guess?

EDIT: I noticed that RAM and swap space are important, but how much hard drive space is really needed? I might need to upgrade the hard drive to something larger and get two 2GB RAM sticks (my system is expandable up to 4GB).

Last edited:

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

Read more on initializing your build environment. The curl command downloads repo to /bin and then you need to repo init and sync. I'm not sure what part your stuck on