LG Optimus S: 4.4 KitKat?

skinbark

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Re: 4.4 KitKat?

I'm having problems figuring out how to download a repo ( I read to much info, in to many places, brain is now locked up). What repo are you using? Could you post code to download that repo? I see there is version 1.19 and 1.20

Maybe I'll try to build the latest Touch Screen ClockworkMod recovery (6) if that would help installing Kit Kat. I would then need the CyanogenMod repo I guess?

EDIT: I noticed that RAM and swap space are important, but how much hard drive space is really needed? I might need to upgrade the hard drive to something larger and get two 2GB RAM sticks (my system is expandable up to 4GB).
Use the info on this page: How To Build CyanogenMod Android for LG Optimus One ("p500") - CyanogenMod
but initialize your repo to this: git://github.com/androidarmv6/android.git -b cm-11.0
In the base directory there'll be a hidden directory called .repo, make a directory in .repo called local_manifests. Any xml manifest file in this directory will be used to sync along with the main source. This is the 'new' way. The old way was to use a single file in .repo called local_manifest.xml. I made a file in this directory called thunderc.xml that tells repo where to sync the device specific folders for thunderc from. I used the cm10.2 branch from TheJBC. Then when you run "repo sync" the device specific folders will be synced along with the cm11 source code. They say you need about 35 gb of disk space to build android, I think the source is around 10 gigs and the build generates a ton of intermediate object files etc. in the BASE_DIR/out directories. The full source includes extra stuff like the android sdk, you end up building stuff that's not really necessary to make a rom, I don't know how to weed that stuff out yet. There's good instructions for porting TWRP in a thread on xda, I'm thinking about trying to port that. A couple of guys in the p500 thread that thewraith420 mentioned were able to get cm11 flashed and booted using twrp. Unfortunately I bricked my OV the other night so I'm waiting on a new (used) one from ebay right now. I was messing around inside the broken recovery and managed to trash the system partition while attempting to mount it from the recovery. Luckily I got another one for $1.50(!) + shipping so it wasn't too bad a loss. I'd say hacking recoveries is risky though. The "build TWRP" thread tells how to build for the sdk emulator so you can experiment more safely. You're probably going to want to max out your ram and have plenty of disk space. You should add extra swap space as well, maybe 6 or 8 gigs?

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for info.
If you can get it into fastboot screen it can be saved. You can use the KP500 as well.
We already have a TWRP recovery: [RECOVERY] TWRP 2.3 / 2.2.2.1 TEAMWIN touch recovery - Page 2 - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
This is what I get when following the directions under "Initialize the CyanogenMod source repository"
Code:
andyopie150@Dell-OptiPlex-GX620DT:~/android/system$ repo init -u git://github.com/androidarmv6/android.git -b cm-11.0
/home/andyopie150/bin/repo: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'
/home/andyopie150/bin/repo: line 1: `<!DOCTYPE html>'

EDIT: Oops! Just checked, the TWRP download "cannot be found". I do have one if you need it. It will be the version I linked to.
Good thing I use my Windows XP Professional (don't use it hardly at all since my first Linux OS) for storage. I keep a bunch of old V stuff there just in case of this very problem.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site

By the way it's good to see you still coming back here now and then. I swear the fact that there are still people interested in this phone is just amazing

I hear you too. I get almost nostalgic seeing some of the same folks here that were active 2-3 years ago (yourself included). Like nitestalkr I still watch here even after I stopped active participation.

skinbark

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for info.
If you can get it into fastboot screen it can be saved. You can use the KP500 as well.
We already have a TWRP recovery: [RECOVERY] TWRP 2.3 / 2.2.2.1 TEAMWIN touch recovery - Page 2 - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
This is what I get when following the directions under "Initialize the CyanogenMod source repository"
Code:
andyopie150@Dell-OptiPlex-GX620DT:~/android/system$ repo init -u git://github.com/androidarmv6/android.git -b cm-11.0
/home/andyopie150/bin/repo: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'

EDIT: Oops! Just checked, the TWRP download "cannot be found". I do have one if you need it. It will be the version I linked to.
Good thing I use my Windows XP Professional (don't use it hardly at all since my first Linux OS) for storage. I keep a bunch of old V stuff there just in case of this very problem.

Check your repo script. It's supposed to be a python script so the first line should be #!/usr/bin/python or something. When you ran the curl command to download the script the server may have returned an error page due to overload or something.

dradzanowski

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site

Hey ya'll. If you are having some computer set up issues, you can use my computer with team viewer. I have 4 systems in my house. One is an old PC with tiny7 on it, the other is a Acer laptop (wife's) with a separate monitor, another is a Samsung netbook permanently hard wired (by accident/repair job gone wrong), and my last runs our "Smart TV".
You could remote control my netbook, and possibly my PC while I'm at work M-F from 7-4 every day. I've got hacked Windows 7 on all the computers, so I/you'd have to install various Linux systems if you need them.

Private message me, in particular Andieopie 150, Skin bark, the wraith, anino, or nitestalker. I trust/have seen enough of you guys around the web to let you in.
As a reminder, if you upload anything flashable, I'll test it on my S over weekends. I have the latest COT running 4.2 right now.

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

Can p500 ROMs work for ls670 ?

not without modification.... there have been p500 roms ported over to the os/ov in the past

Hey ya'll. If you are having some computer set up issues, you can use my computer with team viewer. I have 4 systems in my house. One is an old PC with tiny7 on it, the other is a Acer laptop (wife's) with a separate monitor, another is a Samsung netbook permanently hard wired (by accident/repair job gone wrong), and my last runs our "Smart TV".
You could remote control my netbook, and possibly my PC while I'm at work M-F from 7-4 every day. I've got hacked Windows 7 on all the computers, so I/you'd have to install various Linux systems if you need them.

Private message me, in particular Andieopie 150, Skin bark, the wraith, anino, or nitestalker. I trust/have seen enough of you guys around the web to let you in.
As a reminder, if you upload anything flashable, I'll test it on my S over weekends. I have the latest COT running 4.2 right now.

thanks for the offer i'll pass :) my biggest thing keeping me from doing more is finding the time. work and family keep me busy about 99% of my time

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site

Check your repo script. It's supposed to be a python script so the first line should be #!/usr/bin/python or something. When you ran the curl command to download the script the server may have returned an error page due to overload or something.
Installed Ubuntu 13.04.
Setup everything on it.
Got the same output.
Code:
I was following this to setup everything up to Initializing the source repository: http://forums.androidcentral.com/op.../301871-how-i-built-rom-source-hopefully.html.
When I type in the code you gave me I get the error.
Where is this repo script your refering to? I saw nothing that looked like #!/usr/bin/python
I also didn't get any errors when running the curl command.

Since Xubuntu and Ubuntu are both returning the same error I'm going to drop back to Xubuntu as it is faster and smoother than Ubuntu (I'm not crazy about the Unity desktop either).
Will let you know when I have it setup. Will pay close attention to the curl command as well.
Got to be a reason I get the same error in two different distro's, using a different tutorial to setup the repo with each one.

Last edited:

thekraven

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site

The curl address changed I believe

Code:
from 
 curl [URL]https://dl-ssl.google.com/dl/googlesource/git-repo/repo[/URL]

to:   
curl [URL]http://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/git-repo-downloads/repo[/URL] > ~/bin/repo

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site

OK.
Xubuntu 13.10.
This is what I get with the proper curl address:
Code:
andyopie150@Dell-OptiPlex-GX620DT:~/android/kitkat$ repo init -u git://github.com/androidarmv6/android.git -b cm-11.0
bash: /home/andyopie150/bin/repo: Permission denied

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site

I used this command:
Code:
mkdir ~/bin && curl http://commondatastorage.googleapis....downloads/repo > ~/bin/repo && chmod a+x ~/bin/repo

I went ahead and just ran
Code:
chmod a+x ~/bin/repo
by itself again and didn't get any errors this time.

Now I just need to figure out the rest of what skinbark mentioned before I run:
Code:
repo sync

PS: Ubuntu 13.10 and it's direct variants (Kubuntu, Lubuntu, and Xubuntu) will no longer allow you to install the ia32-libs (not even using synaptic package manager). I did find a couple of workarounds that downloaded the dependencies I need hopefully (after install I was able to setup adb and fastboot globally)
Code:
sudo apt-get install lib32z1 lib32ncurses5 lib32bz2-1.0
sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-0:i386 libpangox-1.0-0:i386 libpangoxft-1.0-0:i386 libidn11:i386 libglu1-mesa:i386
sudo apt-get install libc6:i386 libgcc1:i386 gcc-4.6-base:i386 libstdc++5:i386 libstdc++6:i386

EDIT: Even after Ctrl + h I can't seem to find .repo anywhere.
I scraped all the above and just whent ahead and downloaded Xubuntu 13.04 which thankfully does allow for the ia32-libs to be downloaded and installed from terminal.
Everything below is with Xubuntu 13.04.

Last edited:

skinbark

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site

When I said check the repo script I meant to open the file ~/bin/repo in a text editor and look at the contents so you could verify that it contained a python script and not a bunch of html code. If so, enter the directory that you're going to use as the base directory for cm-11.0 and enter the "repo init" command. It'll download some files and create a directory called .repo in your base directory. After that make a directory inside the .repo directory called local_manifests and create a file in it called roomservice.xml that contains this:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<manifest>
    <project name="TheJBC/android_device_lge_thunderc" path="device/lge/thunderc" remote="github" revision="cm-10.2" />
    <project name="TheJBC/android_device_lge_msm7x27-common" path="device/lge/msm7x27-common" remote="github" revision="cm-10.2" />
    <project name="TheJBC/android_device_qcom_msm7x27" path="device/qcom/msm7x27" remote="github" revision="cm-10.2" />
    <project name="bigsupersquid/android_kernel_lge_msm7x27-3.0.x" path="kernel/lge/msm7x27-3.0.x" remote="github" revision="squid" />
    <project name="TheJBC/android_vendor_lge" path="vendor/lge" remote="github" revision="cm-10.2" />
    <project name="mirror-androidarmv6/android_vendor_qcom_msm7x27" path="vendor/qcom/msm7x27" remote="github" revision="cm-10.2" />
</manifest>

Now you're ready to run "repo sync" and download cm-11.0.

badblue1__

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site

Found this today during lunch at work
Android 4.4 KitKat ROMS Megalist

It's a list of custom kit-kat 4.4 roms over at XDA, there were alot of devices listed, including LG (but not the optimus v or s) ,had terrible 3g all day, couldn't even get links to work so i don't know if any of the devices listed have ARMv6 processor or not, hopefully someone will find this useful.

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site

When I said check the repo script I meant to open the file ~/bin/repo in a text editor and look at the contents so you could verify that it contained a python script and not a bunch of html code. If so, enter the directory that you're going to use as the base directory for cm-11.0 and enter the "repo init" command. It'll download some files and create a directory called .repo in your base directory. After that make a directory inside the .repo directory called local_manifests and create a file in it called roomservice.xml that contains this:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<manifest>
    <project name="TheJBC/android_device_lge_thunderc" path="device/lge/thunderc" remote="github" revision="cm-10.2" />
    <project name="TheJBC/android_device_lge_msm7x27-common" path="device/lge/msm7x27-common" remote="github" revision="cm-10.2" />
    <project name="TheJBC/android_device_qcom_msm7x27" path="device/qcom/msm7x27" remote="github" revision="cm-10.2" />
    <project name="bigsupersquid/android_kernel_lge_msm7x27-3.0.x" path="kernel/lge/msm7x27-3.0.x" remote="github" revision="squid" />
    <project name="TheJBC/android_vendor_lge" path="vendor/lge" remote="github" revision="cm-10.2" />
    <project name="mirror-androidarmv6/android_vendor_qcom_msm7x27" path="vendor/qcom/msm7x27" remote="github" revision="cm-10.2" />
</manifest>

Now you're ready to run "repo sync" and download cm-11.0.
Gotcha. You'll have to forgive me, I'm a totall newb at this, but I am a fast learner.

EDIT: first line in repo script say:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/env python
I should be good. Just need to follow the rest of your advice before repo sync.
I'm now ready to sync.

Last edited:

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site

One quick question.
I have two 80GB hard drives. On /dev/sda I have Windows and the swap partition. On /dev/sdb I have Xubuntu but no swap partition. Swapping files from Windows to Xubuntu and vice-a-versa works fine.
Do I need to change this setup, or can I just enlarge the swap partition?

skinbark

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site

One quick question.
I have two 80GB hard drives. On /dev/sda I have Windows and the swap partition. On /dev/sdb I have Xubuntu but no swap partition. Swapping files from Windows to Xubuntu and vice-a-versa works fine.
Do I need to change this setup, or can I just enlarge the swap partition?
That setup is okay. If you need more swap you can create a big file in Xubuntu and tell Linux to use it as swap in addition to your swap partition. Here's a link:
Linux Add a Swap File – Howto
I recommend running the top command in a second window while building to keep an eye on memory usage.
You might also want to install a temperature monitor app to see if your cpu is overheating during the build. I'm not sure what they're called but I know there's some out there.

skinbark

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site

Anyone willing to test a build of TWRP 2.6? I don't have any way to test it myself until I get my new phone. If we have a working TWRP 2.6.3 we should be able to flash KitKat.

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site

No problem. I have an unlocked boot loader and know how to use fastboot commands. I have a recovery.img already in my platform-tools folder.

Last edited: