[ROM][WIP][4.4.2] CyanogenMod 11 KitKat for Optimus S/V

skinbark

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
OS2SD, not remembering WiFi password. Squid asked if /data was mounted in the right place.

VM670 on 4.4.2? Yes, indeed.
I might have gotten /data and /system backwards so that /data is getting mounted read-only.
fstab.thunderc is in the root directory.
Edit: as far as I can tell the partitions are getting mounted correctly.

Last edited:

brotherswing

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I checked fstab.thunderc in the root directory and discovered (to my dismay) that the file seems to be corrupt. Won't open with any editor and kicks an error when I tried to generate a checksum. I have a few ideas I'm going to try, will report back with results.

brotherswing

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
My bad, I forgot to enable root access in ES. After I enabled that fstab pulled right up and it looks fine. Might just be a quirk of my handset. Settling in, and running much faster. Much, much faster. I have had three lock ups requiring a battery pull, trying to see if I can isolate the conditions that produce it. So far so good...

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Ok, got a few long-winded things to say in a multiquote.
Mine remembers wifi... weird....
Now it doesn't, even between disconnect/reconnect.
Alrighty, I got to test for a little while. OS2SD sounds like a great idea in theory.
It makes me very nervous though. Here's my thoughts: If you boink (got that from this thread) you ROM, it's fine, you just fall back on your recovery, if you boink your recovery, it's fine if you have a good ROM to fall back on. With both your recov flashing and ROM flashing, there's no fallback. It makes me nervous mostly because this is my only phone...
Andy, get better man! I'll pray for you.
and
I'm sorta in the same boat as you, only phone we have right now, plus my sdcard isn't big enough. I loved Andy's Bean_Whiz Rom Mod but, same thing, a bigger sdcard is needed.
Guess i'll stick to MiRaGe Rom for now.
and
Correct, the os2sd thing is very experimental and definitely not for everyone. A proper kitkat install is going to require some kind of 'irregular' setup however, whether it's resizing the system partition, os2sd, int2ext, linking to cache or a combination of these methods. We're pushing the envelope and you should be pretty comfortable with phone mods (or brave!) if you're going to jump into this. It's a fun phone hacker's playground though!
I am considering finishing a startup tweak that will look for the card install (or whether it's marked as active) and otherwise will start up something else that uses the 3.0 kernel from NAND.

I'm in this for the sure joy of doing what hasn't been done before, and I'm in for the long haul.
So, what block device should /data be mounting to? And if its wrong is fstab still in /etc?
I use mmcblk0p2 for /data, and there is no fstab of any sort in /etc in thekraven's build (which is currently on my daily driver phone SD card and working great except no MMS cause of the dang APNS)
I use that partition because recoveries format it when doing the factory reset. I hated it when they wiped my Linux installs before I learned to put them on a more distant partition that recovery leaves alone.

Last edited:

skinbark

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
I added the option to system.prop, dropped in the telephony folder from Team.Hydra and got a build with working data.
thekraven rocks!

brotherswing

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I don't think that was the problem, I had a brainfart. Sweet little bit of code to have nonetheless. I'm pretty fearless about flashing my OV, these little monsters are hard to kill and easy to fix. :)

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I checked fstab.thunderc in the root directory and discovered (to my dismay) that the file seems to be corrupt. Won't open with any editor and kicks an error when I tried to generate a checksum. I have a few ideas I'm going to try, will report back with results.

here, brotherswing, and whoever else wants to play.
DISCLAIMER!
You flash it, you fix it if it breaks! This mods the boot partition, not for the faint of heart or non-experimental types.
back up your existing boot in recovery (after mounting SD) or ROM
Code:
dump_image boot /sdcard/currentboot.img
then if there's problems you can
Code:
flash_image boot /sdcard/currentboot.img
to retrieve your existing partition.

swaps in a nice fstab.thunderc and init.qcom.rc and init.thunderc.rc (to remove conflicting mount command) to mount mmcblk0p2 as data, mmcblk0p3 as system, and mmcblk0p4 as cache. also enables init.d scripts in init.qcom.rc
View attachment kitkat-sd.zip
feel free to modify the files in the kernel/ramdisk folder of the zip.
If you add different ramdisk files you'll have to modify kernel/edit_ramdisk.sh to reflect that (or make the installer do other busybox things.)

Earlier it was mentioned to mount the external only to /system/app or similar things. You can do that in the fstab.thunderc probably. Or hardcode it into the init.qcom.rc under 'on fs'
either file, you can probably mix and match mtd and mmc partitions as you choose. try and see... I haven't messed with it because I like running off the card except for the boot partition... and I'd move it too if I could.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I don't think that was the problem, I had a brainfart. Sweet little bit of code to have nonetheless. I'm pretty fearless about flashing my OV, these little monsters are hard to kill and easy to fix. :)

the warnings weren't for you, brotherswing... :p they're for the random 'whoever else wants to play' mentioned in the post.

skinbark

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
I noticed that the mount_all command is being executed in both init.qcom.rc and init.thunderc.rc. Is this necessary I wonder?

skinbark

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Earlier it was mentioned to mount the external only to /system/app or similar things. You can do that in the fstab.thunderc probably. Or hardcode it into the init.qcom.rc under 'on fs'
either file, you can probably mix and match mtd and mmc partitions as you choose. try and see... I haven't messed with it because I like running off the card except for the boot partition... and I'd move it too if I could.
I did try just mounting /system and /data and leaving /cache on mtd but couldn't get it working for some reason and just said screw it. I'm interested in the idea of improving performance by using both mtd and sd-ext like the way you can get better performance on a pc with 2 separate hard drives. Don't know if it would be of benefit but worth looking into. Kitkat is working well and I doubt I'll need or want to retain another install on mtd, I'd rather use all the space if it seems like there's a benefit. Swap? Dual-boot setup? Ubuntu Touch? This could get interesting!
Edit: Oh, I got it! Dual boot stock froyo on mtd and kitkat on sd :)

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
ubuntu no-go, arm7.
dual boot, maybe, swap maybe.
there's a bunch of dynamic-size ramdisk devices started up on boot that eat system memory, maybe some of that could be redirected to a MTD partition.
Edit: Oh, I got it! Dual boot stock froyo on mtd and kitkat on sd :)
froyo and gingerbread need kernel code downgrades from 2.6 to enable USB and some kgsl stuff. They boot but don't work right. ICS has good kgsl but still no USB with the 3.0 kernel. So it'd have to be PAC or JBC or Slim or something else that'll get along with the 3.0 code.
I did try just mounting /system and /data and leaving /cache on mtd but couldn't get it working for some reason and just said screw it. I'm interested in the idea of improving performance by using both mtd and sd-ext like the way you can get better performance on a pc with 2 separate hard drives. Don't know if it would be of benefit but worth looking into.
Maybe with the extra mount command from one of the init.*.rc's removed it'd work.
I noticed that the mount_all command is being executed in both init.qcom.rc and init.thunderc.rc. Is this necessary I wonder?
when I removed it from init.thunderc.rc my compass problem went away. I had noticed logcat flipping out on it sometimes and I thought it might somehow be a permissions problem.
added the file to kitkat-sd.zip above.

Last edited:

skinbark

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
froyo and gingerbread need kernel code downgrades from 2.6 to enable USB and some kgsl stuff. They boot but don't work right. ICS has good kgsl but still no USB with the 3.0 kernel. So it'd have to be PAC or JBC or Slim or something else that'll get along with the 3.0 code.
think we could load a kernel off of sd-ext?

skinbark

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Was hoping to test out this rom and give feedback about it, but ended up bricking my phone instead. I had my V running the latest Mirage rom and was using the Cannible Open Touch Recovery. I made nandroid backup, installed regular CWM_6.0.4.6 in OP, sucessfully flashed regular Kit Kat rom and played around with it for a bit, then restored phone back to Mirage. Decided to try out the OS2SD Rom and that's where it went downhill.

So basically:
-Was running Mirage Rom using Cannibal Open Touch Recovery
-made nandroid backup
-flashed regular CWM_6.0.4.6 in OP
-successfully flashed and played around in regular Kit Kat rom
-Restored phone from nandroid backup to Mirage
-Decide to try OS2SD rom
-nandroid backup and move all contents from SD card to folder on PC
-Formatted my 32gig SD Card with large FAT32 partition, 2Gb EXT4 partition, 512Mb EXT4 partition, 512Mb EXT 4 partition.
-Downloaded all zip files for OS2SD rom, put in folder, put folder on empty sd card
-Try to flash OS2SD version of CWM_6.0.4.6
-Regular CWM says "can't mount /storage/sdcard0
-Me ---> ?????
-Tried copying all files back to sd card, boot.....freeze at android logo.
-CWM can't see SD card so can't flash anything, don't know how to use ADB
-Read Unbrick Guide KDZ, install those files,reboot into emergency mode, follow instructions, click lauch software update, error message, click agian, same thing
-Phone now can do nothing but display Emergency Mode
I also bricked a phone recently with KDZ. Did it wipe out your recovery? Powering up with Home + Vol down + on button no go?

skinbark

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
I uploaded new standard and os2sd builds with data fix.
cm-11-20140104-thunderc-skinbark.zip
Link in post #1
cm-11-20140104-thunderc-sd.zip
Link in post #2

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney