Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes
    o_O

ROM
    bigsuperROM_os2sd

Default Re: [ROM][MOD][4.4.2][EXPERIMENTAL] KitKat OS2SD

Quote Originally Posted by brotherswing View Post
    I encountered that issue. The variables that I isolated were the port (some USB ports on my PC do better than others) and the cable itself. I have a cable that will charge my Milestone X but not my OV regardless if it's on a wall charger or a USB port. The additional drain noted on many Roms that require a 3.0 kernel coupled with the inconsistencies of charging from a USB port could easily account for the symptoms you've described.

VM670 on 4.4.2? Yes, indeed.
    I have one OV that refuses to connect to usb or charger with anything except one single cable. Every other cable that works with all kinds of different devices and 3 other OV phones, it's blind to.
    keep the wife happy with my dev time:
    donate!
    the THANKS button is quite acceptable if you're as stingy as me, too.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    BACKside, TMU Bugless

And that, my friend, is why I don't bother reporting most charging issues. USB charging is known to be flaky. I do think something needs to happen for the battery life before I could recommend OS2SD as a daily driver for the typical user through. My battery drops about eighty percent in six hours and that's probably more drain than most people would care to deal with. Of course, my SD card might be contributing to that. How fast are the batteries draining on other phones testing this build?

#_ Guru-to-Noob Translator C:/_ .
    o_O

ROM
    bigsuperROM_os2sd

And that, my friend, is why I don't bother reporting most charging issues. USB charging is known to be flaky. I do think something needs to happen for the battery life before I could recommend OS2SD as a daily driver for the typical user through. My battery drops about eighty percent in six hours and that's probably more drain than most people would care to deal with. Of course, my SD card might be contributing to that. How fast are the batteries draining on other phones testing this build?

mine seems comparable to pac (not the latest but the one before.) lasts over a day without taxing wifi or 3g but only a matter of hours if pulling data.
    donate!

Seems like something that might be a little complicating to do. I have only been flashing roms and have never used os2sd. Is it possible someone can make a video showing step by step instructions on how to do this so I will feel more comfortable doing this to my phone? It may be a back up phone for me but I would just like to learn how to use os2sd properly so I can use it in the future if necessary.

ROM
    BACKside, TMU Bugless

That is a cool idea, and I need to redo my installation (got the partition sizes wrong.) I'll do it up in a few days. Need to fix my laptop first...

o_O

ROM
    bigsuperROM_os2sd

Since this is the experimental thread, I'll mention aufs again.
    It'd be nice to have a minimal install in NAND that would run without the card, and overlay partitions onto system, data, and cache (all three because of the dalvik and other bits that wouldn't enjoy only existing in one of two places of the card was removed,) so it'd be possible to pull the card while running but still have the ridiculous space option from the ext partitions.
    settings>storage would probably need modified to handle the two partitions beyond what it expects for a clean unmount/remount.
    donate!

ROM
    BACKside, TMU Bugless

That would be handy! Just what would be involved in implementing this?

o_O

ROM
    bigsuperROM_os2sd

That would be handy! Just what would be involved in implementing this?

insmod aufs module in init.*.rc
    script to mount ext's over nand's

mostly. I couldn't get it to work on first try, but the OS2SD wasn't working yet either at that point.

While I'm posting,
    of interest in kernel, this is in 3.10
    https://github.com/bigsupersquid/cod...ndroid/configs
    The files in this directory are meant to be used as a base for an Android
    kernel config. All devices should have the options in android-base.cfg enabled.
    While not mandatory, the options in android-recommended.cfg enable advanced
    Android features.

Assuming you already have a minimalist defconfig for your device, a possible
    way to enable these options would be:

ARCH=<arch> scripts/kconfig/merge_config.sh <path_to>/<device>_defconfig android/configs/android-base.cfg android/configs/android-recommended.cfg

This will generate a .config that can then be used to save a new defconfig or
    compile a new kernel with Android features enabled.
    donate!
    Thanked by:

Well I installed the rom last night on my 1st gen vm670, I'm already starting to see what patches and fixes it needs so I'll start playing with it when I get off work tonight and post my fixes here. Great work so far, all the bugs my personal rom of jellybean had are fixed here.
    Thanked by:
    skinbark likes this.

ROM
    BACKside, TMU Bugless

Can't set up a Chromecast, caused a lockup followed by a reboot.

The issues I'm currently looking into is improper mount/detection of the sdcard vfat partition (it mounts just fine in /mnt/media_rw but never seems to be mountable, or accessible from /sdcard), The time either lags or freezes after going into deep sleep (notice this most while charging for the night and waking up to see a 2 hour old time, solved on reboot), Maps works but has the rendering glitch, usually caused by gsf. Also the ramdisk needs to be cleaned and organized. There's unnecessary hardware loads in some of the files and duplicate loads, this makes the bootup logcat harder to debug. It seems that for sdcard mounting we need to not use the external sdcard method but instead duplicate the mount method used by phones with only internal storage. As for the mtdblocks, we can probably either have a slim stable build there which the boot can load after checking for /dev/mmcblk0's presence or use it as swapspace.

Can someone link me to the current repo and device config for the release? I think there's something framework level blocking some of my fix attempts from the ramdisk.
    Thanked by:
    o_O

ROM
    bigsuperROM_os2sd

Quote Originally Posted by TechVendetta View Post
    The issues I'm currently looking into is improper mount/detection of the sdcard vfat partition (it mounts just fine in /mnt/media_rw but never seems to be mountable, or accessible from /sdcard), The time either lags or freezes after going into deep sleep (notice this most while charging for the night and waking up to see a 2 hour old time, solved on reboot), Maps works but has the rendering glitch, usually caused by gsf. Also the ramdisk needs to be cleaned and organized. There's unnecessary hardware loads in some of the files and duplicate loads, this makes the bootup logcat harder to debug. It seems that for sdcard mounting we need to not use the external sdcard method but instead duplicate the mount method used by phones with only internal storage. As for the mtdblocks, we can probably either have a slim stable build there which the boot can load after checking for /dev/mmcblk0's presence or use it as swapspace.

Can someone link me to the current repo and device config for the release? I think there's something framework level blocking some of my fix attempts from the ramdisk.
    this'll get you going.
    init a repo from github.com/androidarmv6/android, branch cm-11.0
    drop this xml in .repo/local_manifests, modify as desired.
    roomservice-full.xml.zip
    substitute skinbark for bigsupersquid in the kernel line if you want optimus S keylayout and other changes.
    the basic files for boot from sd are in this flashable zip, also modify as desired.
    kitkat-sd.zip
    post your improvements!
    donate!
    Thanked by:
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #38  

Quote Originally Posted by bigsupersquid View Post
    Since this is the experimental thread, I'll mention aufs again.
    It'd be nice to have a minimal install in NAND that would run without the card, and overlay partitions onto system, data, and cache (all three because of the dalvik and other bits that wouldn't enjoy only existing in one of two places of the card was removed,) so it'd be possible to pull the card while running but still have the ridiculous space option from the ext partitions.
    settings>storage would probably need modified to handle the two partitions beyond what it expects for a clean unmount/remount.
    Maybe a modified vold that can activate/deactivate the aufs along with the vfat partition?
    Do not be hasty.
    o_O

ROM
    bigsuperROM_os2sd

Quote Originally Posted by skinbark View Post
    Maybe a modified vold that can activate/deactivate the aufs along with the vfat partition?
    you could try... I have yet to edit any Android source except for assembly. Kernel, yes, and patching in Android fixes, init.rc mods, and other files, yes, but not actual new source. Java, my experience is limited to J2ME until I dig into android. I have reasons to but haven't yet.
    here, look at this. apparently I do things the long way around.
    Quote Originally Posted by m.ksy
    Hi! My device (Motorola Droid X) supports only fakeflash recovery. For CWM Recovery to build it I use "make -j# recoveryzip". Does TWRP support fakeflash building?
    from the xda twrp-building thread
    donate!

I still think dualboot via recovery would be best, eventually ill get around to making the recovery scripts for it. I just recently started setting my build servers back up so I'm hoping to pull down the source over the weekend and merge some nexus code to make the os2sd mount properly. Also I wonder how much battery is used by having the button leds on constantly. And did anyone on virgin mobile notice this didnt require the apn patch? Data just works. I know VM announced network upgrades, maybe its 100% sprint compatible now.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #41  

If there's a way to write a bootloader like grub to the boot partition that allows loading a kernel off an sd-ext partition that would be ideal, then we wouldn't have to use the same kernel for both installations. Just being able to overwrite the scripts in the ramdisk early in the init process would be good and less difficult to do. It would probably be possible to run some kind of boot menu from init.rc.
    Do not be hasty.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #42  

Quote Originally Posted by bigsupersquid View Post
    this'll get you going.
    init a repo from github.com/androidarmv6/android, branch cm-11.0
    drop this xml in .repo/local_manifests, modify as desired.
    roomservice-full.xml.zip
    substitute skinbark for bigsupersquid in the kernel line if you want optimus S keylayout and other changes.
    the basic files for boot from sd are in this flashable zip, also modify as desired.
    kitkat-sd.zip
    post your improvements!
    The packages/apps/Settings folder in the roomservice file is throwing an error on latest builds, I think it's okay to just remove it.
    Do not be hasty.
    Thanked by:
    o_O

ROM
    bigsuperROM_os2sd

...Also I wonder how much battery is used by having the button leds on constantly. And did anyone on virgin mobile notice this didnt require the apn patch? Data just works. I know VM announced network upgrades, maybe its 100% sprint compatible now.
    the leds are a kernel command line issue, or you can change the driver code in the kernel to default to the right board rev.
    thekraven got data working, recently. it has always crossed sprint and vm. it's the mms that's messed up, blarf figured it out and released code with the iho repo way back. CM eventually absorbed it for the higher end vm phones even though they've never supported ours. thekraven says CM hasn't fixed that yet. I looked at patching it for grins but it needs serious rework in the variable names to build.

Quote Originally Posted by skinbark View Post
    If there's a way to write a bootloader like grub to the boot partition that allows loading a kernel off an sd-ext partition that would be ideal, then we wouldn't have to use the same kernel for both installations. Just being able to overwrite the scripts in the ramdisk early in the init process would be good and less difficult to do. It would probably be possible to run some kind of boot menu from init.rc.
    you need a kernel that can kexec. I couldn't get 2.6.35 to do it and I haven't tried on 3.0, but I leave it set in the config. it's not the default.
    might've been issues with kexec-tools though. it's certainly possible on the hardware, since the bootloader in firmware swaps to the kernel in the boot.img or the one downloaded through fastboot.
    you can definitely overwrite ramdisk files and run scripts from internal or external media. timing it right probably matters.
    Last edited by bigsupersquid; 01-18-2014 at 05:47 PM.
    donate!
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #44  

This is the commit, or one of them, that's needed for data to work on thunderc.
    https://github.com/Team-Hydra/androi...c65f794c3d5fbd
    It also requires skipdatareg value be added to ro.telephony.ril.v3 in build.prop.
    I'm not sure if this is the only commit that needs to be added to the CM telephony folder, haven't tried it yet.
    Do not be hasty.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #45  

I wonder how much battery is used by having the button leds on constantly.
    Here's a boot.img for os2sd that has the kernel command line option that fixes button backlight.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Do not be hasty.
    Thanked by 2:

ROM
    BACKside, TMU Bugless

I know that quite a bit of progress has been made and there's several patches and such throughout this thread. Have the installation files been updated to reflect this, or would someone coming into this need to download and install everything separately? I'm still running the first test build but because my partition sizes are a little goofy I've been thinking about repartitioning and starting over.

o_O

ROM
    bigsuperROM_os2sd

I know that quite a bit of progress has been made and there's several patches and such throughout this thread. Have the installation files been updated to reflect this, or would someone coming into this need to download and install everything separately? I'm still running the first test build but because my partition sizes are a little goofy I've been thinking about repartitioning and starting over.

I'm using the regular recovery with the fakeflash on top, and *-sd.zips from the op.
    first in fakeflash cwm, factory reset, then format system and boot in the mounts and storage menu.
    I install the cm-11 then the skinny gapps.
    then CrossBreeder, then beta4 kernel, then the kitkat-sd.zip (I have issues with /data permissions messing up accelerometer and such unless the fstab.thunderc and init.*.rc's are set up this way.)
    I also flash everything all together without a reboot. then reboot into system (ignore the may flash recovery and unrooted warnings and reboot twice if neccessary,)
    and apply the wifi fix.
    that's /my/ setup, though. without any test builds or anything. and the live wallpapers FC no matter when or how I've tried em, though market ones work.
    plus the clock is unreliable. right now it's correct on the cLock widget and system info live wallpaper, but wrong in the notification bar.
    donate!
    Thanked by:

ROM
    BACKside, TMU Bugless

Cool, thanks for the feedback. I'll be redoing it and continue testing.

o_O

ROM
    bigsuperROM_os2sd

Cool, thanks for the feedback. I'll be redoing it and continue testing.

CrossBreeder may have unexpected effects on it as well. I just figured the kernel supports it and it generally speeds things up, so I wanted to play with it.
    donate!
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Changes Daily

Hey if you guys find a way to load the kernel from SD or I sure could use the method on my RAZR M. Locked bootloader so I'm stuck with safestrap recovery and only stock based roms... Not nearly as fun as messing around on my ov

Edit: or rather load a boot.img

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast