Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default remove wifi module

The wife and I set up one of our old phones and gave it to our daughter to use. Our service provider allows us to manage data control, but she can still use her phone to connect through wifi to access the internet without supervision. How do I find and change/delete/corrupt the wifi module on her phone (LS670) so she can not use the wifi anymore?
    Model: LS670
    Android version: 2.2.2
    Build number: ZVD.41B2924E
    I rooted her phone, otherwise running original ROM. I searched google and so many forums. Can't find help anywhere. Ideas?

Default Re: remove wifi module

If the phone were rooted, you could uninstall the WiFi services (using something like the free app, Titanium Backup). Even so, it would be a system service so it might screw up the phone's operation. (So I'd do a Nandroid backup before killing any such services.) But it doesn't look like you're rooted so it's irrelevant.

If you're just worried about her WiFi access at home (or someplace where you can manage the WiFi router) then the easiest solution is to enable the router's "MAC filtering" and deny access from your daughter's phone's unique MAC number. Most modern routers allow you to easily turn MAC filtering on and off, or even set automatic rules to turn on and off MAC filtering for specific timeslots on specific days of the week. Most modern routers also allow you to block access to specific websites.
    o_O

ROM
    bigsuperROM_os2sd

Quote Originally Posted by Avi Tapp View Post
    ...How do I find and change/delete/corrupt the wifi module on her phone (LS670) so she can not use the wifi anymore?...
    install terminal emulator from market
    open
    type
    Code:
    su
    accept the popup dialog
    type
    Code:
    mount -o remount,rw /system /system
    mv /system/lib/modules/wireless.ko /system/lib/modules/wireless.ko.bak
    exit
    exit
    if there are no errors you're golden.
    to reverse
    Code:
    mount -o remount,rw /system /system
    mv /system/lib/modules/wireless.ko.bak /system/lib/modules/wireless.ko
    exit
    exit
    keep the wife happy with my dev time:
    donate!
    the THANKS button is quite acceptable if you're as stingy as me, too.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by RazzMaTazz View Post
    If the phone were rooted, you could uninstall the WiFi services (using something like the free app, Titanium Backup). Even so, it would be a system service so it might screw up the phone's operation. (So I'd do a Nandroid backup before killing any such services.) But it doesn't look like you're rooted so it's irrelevant.

If you're just worried about her WiFi access at home (or someplace where you can manage the WiFi router) then the easiest solution is to enable the router's "MAC filtering" and deny access from your daughter's phone's unique MAC number. Most modern routers allow you to easily turn MAC filtering on and off, or even set automatic rules to turn on and off MAC filtering for specific timeslots on specific days of the week. Most modern routers also allow you to block access to specific websites.
    The phone is rooted, although I'm curious why you would say that it isn't. Also, I'm not worried about my home router, I'm worried about access anywhere. She's a smart kid, and I'm balancing raising her in a healthy environment with teaching her how to program/etc.
    o_O

ROM
    bigsuperROM_os2sd

If you're teaching her to program I also suggest removing the terminal app after disabling the wifi
    keep the wife happy with my dev time:
    donate!
    the THANKS button is quite acceptable if you're as stingy as me, too.