1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    CyanogenMod 9

Default [How-To] Regain App Space on Phone

Disclaimer:If you unmount the SD card, remove it, or enter USB Mass Storage Mode, the apps are no longer available. (thanks iamlilysdad)

KSmithInNY, our resident Optimus S expert also adds:
    Quote Originally Posted by KSmithInNY View Post
    Also you should never do this with an app that has a widget that you use. If it has a widget and you don't use it that's fine but active widgets will experience issues running off an SD card.
    ~~~~~

You can move most apps manually to the SD Card, even if the "Move to SD" option is greyed out in the Application Manager.

This guide assumes you already rooted your phone, and thus have adb.

First adb shell into your phone, then su
    cd /data/app
    find the large app you want to move to your SD Card (I wouldn't recommend system items like Swype, ect, that run all the time).
    Some items cannot be moved, like google maps.

Anyway once you find your file, run this:

pm install -r -s com.the.package.file-1.apk

For example, if you want to move org.zwanoo.android.speedtest-1.apk (Speedtest.net app):

pm install -r -s org.zwanoo.android.speedtest-1.apk

What this does:

"pm install -r" reinstalls an app without deleting it or its data. "-s" specifies the SD Card.

To move it back to the phone, go back to the Application Manager on the phone and "Move to Phone" will be available.
    Last edited by zefie; 11-16-2010 at 11:00 AM.
    Thanked by:
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,903 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

This should also come with the disclaimer that if you unmount the SD card or remove it the apps are no longer available.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.

Also you should never do this with an app that has a widget that you use. If it has a widget and you don't use it that's fine but active widgets will experience issues running off an SD card.

EDIT - Just thought of one more thing. Capitalization is important in this process. for example: "Test" would not be considered the same as "test". You must use proper capitalization which you can get from the name of the apk you're trying to move.
    Last edited by KSmithInNY; 11-16-2010 at 09:01 AM.
    [CENTER][URL="https://plus.google.com/u/0/+KPSmith/posts"]Follow me on Google +

If you want an even easier way to do this ....

1) Download titanium backup (free from the market)
    2) Grant super user permission when asked
    3) Click the "backup/restore" button on the top of the screen
    4) Long press on the app (must be in data/app) and a menu will pop-up. Click Move to SD
    [CENTER][URL="https://plus.google.com/u/0/+KPSmith/posts"]Follow me on Google +
    Thanked by 3:

Global Posts
    245 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KSmithInNY View Post
    If you want an even easier way to do this ....

1) Download titanium backup (free from the market)
    2) Grant super user permission when asked
    3) Click the "backup/restore" button on the top of the screen
    4) Long press on the app (must be in data/app) and a menu will pop-up. Click Move to SD
    Curious- is there a good reason some app developers don't allow it to move to SD card?

I know widgets, etc, shouldn't be moved... but will any other functionality get messed up by moving it?

I noticed that, for example, Yahoo Messenger's add on for video chat is moveable in the stock settings app manager, but not the original app. Is there something Yahoo! decided wouldn't be a problem in the add on, that perhaps WOULD be a problem moving in the original app executables?

Meanwhile, I'm moving all the games over right now, because I can't imagine that a game would create a problem running off SD

Global Posts
    902 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10 Nightly

Quote Originally Posted by dishe View Post
    Curious- is there a good reason some app developers don't allow it to move to SD card?

I know widgets, etc, shouldn't be moved... but will any other functionality get messed up by moving it?

I noticed that, for example, Yahoo Messenger's add on for video chat is moveable in the stock settings app manager, but not the original app. Is there something Yahoo! decided wouldn't be a problem in the add on, that perhaps WOULD be a problem moving in the original app executables?

Meanwhile, I'm moving all the games over right now, because I can't imagine that a game would create a problem running off SD
    Could be they haven't made a new build since FroYo came out. Or they forgot to change the tag (i.e. I did the second).

Global Posts
    245 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smccloud View Post
    Could be they haven't made a new build since FroYo came out. Or they forgot to change the tag (i.e. I did the second).
    But some apps are clearly desired to stay on phone memory... for example, the Yahoo Messenger app doesn't allow to SD, whereas the plugin for video DOES. These are 2 apps by the same group, developed in tandem. I suppose it could be a mistake, but it seems more likely there is some reason they want the app in memory. Perhaps for better background task management?

Global Posts
    902 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10 Nightly

I prefer the developer is just being difficult.

Sent from my LG Optimus S using Tapatalk Pro.

ROM
    Bonsai 4.1.1

Default help

i typed all that and no list popped up just a new line with #
    need help..

Global Posts
    224 Global Posts
    ROM
    depends on the time

Quote Originally Posted by dishe View Post
    But some apps are clearly desired to stay on phone memory... for example, the Yahoo Messenger app doesn't allow to SD, whereas the plugin for video DOES. These are 2 apps by the same group, developed in tandem. I suppose it could be a mistake, but it seems more likely there is some reason they want the app in memory. Perhaps for better background task management?
    Well it could have something to do with syncing. All of the apps I put on my card that have account syncing aka yahoo, Facebook etc Logged me out when I rebooted the phone. Skype twitter everything.

just want to make sure before I start messing with my apps....when you state"If you unmount the SD card, remove it, or enter USB Mass Storage Mode, the apps are no longer available." - Obviously I know that they will be unavailable since they are on the sd card but once you put it back in and mount it, then everything should go back to normal right?

Global Posts
    608 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock - Maybe OC Kernel

Yes. Widgets and live wallpapers are the exception.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    itony 

Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    ROM
    TheKraven's CM&

Default Apps to the external card?

I just rooted my lg optimus s phone using z4root, and the only reason I rooted was because I heard I can move some apps (apps that can't be moved to a sd card, i.e. google maps)that are stored in my phones internal memory to an sd card. Which app am I suppose to use? is there a link where I can download this app?

thanks in advance.

Many can be moved already if you go into the Applications menu under settings and check each one. Alternatively you can download the free "App 2 SD Free" app which will give you an easy display of all the apps that can be moved but currently aren't.

For the apps that don't have that option already enabled, check out "Titanium Backup" (buy the full version, it's worth it) from the Market.

I thought I heard there were some issues with App 2 SD on the Optimus S unless you use the build in Froyo "Move to SD" option. Obviously, I am wrong, but just want to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by crashbowman View Post
    I thought I heard there were some issues with App 2 SD on the Optimus S unless you use the build in Froyo "Move to SD" option. Obviously, I am wrong, but just want to understand.
    We're talking about two different things. One is a program called "app2sd" that is included with some root packages and ROMs. From what I understand, yes, that has issues. What I'm talking about is an app available on the Market called very specifically "App 2 SD Free". This is really nothing more than a front-end to allow you to easily move those apps that have the "move to SD" functionality enabled (in lieu of individually going to each app and hitting the "Move to SD" button). Purely ease of use/speed.

Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    ROM
    TheKraven's CM&

yes, thank you tmeader
    Titanium Backup did the job.
    wow, I am really surprise because Titanium Backup does a lot of stuff in one little app.

thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by ens04 View Post
    yes, thank you tmeader
    Titanium Backup did the job.
    wow, I am really surprise because Titanium Backup does a lot of stuff in one little app.

thanks again.
    I'm having a problem using Titanium Backup for this. It doesn't seem to be actually moving the apps. After I move the app both the system and TB still list the app as internal and after moving a bunch of apps my free internal memory suddenly went back down, making me think they weren't moved successfully.

Quote Originally Posted by turnerjazz View Post
    I'm having a problem using Titanium Backup for this. It doesn't seem to be actually moving the apps. After I move the app both the system and TB still list the app as internal and after moving a bunch of apps my free internal memory suddenly went back down, making me think they weren't moved successfully.
    Found the answer on the Titanium Backup troubleshooting guide (how about that). It was the same thing keeping my apps from updating:

I am having the same issue with apps not being moved to sd using Titanium backup. After loading the SD card to the computer, I also dont have a smdl2tmp1.asec file in the .android_secure folder.

Also following these steps below i get "no such file or directory"

1. Open Terminal Emulator on the phone
    2. Type su to activate SuperUser
    3. Once the $ sign turns to # type rm /mnt/secure/asec/smdl2tmp1.asec

Any Ideas?
    Last edited by sheit; 04-22-2011 at 01:18 PM.

Check out Link2SD in the Market (free) or the threads in this forum about moving /data/app to a second partition on your SD card (Read through the first one first):

http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-o...ghlight=app2sd
    and
    http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-o...ghlight=app2sd

I have been working on getting our Froyo-based ROMs (nameless ROM would be the only currently supported one) to mount the second partition but haven't gotten it to survive a reboot yet. Gingerbread (ala the two CM7-based ROMs) will mount it by default.

Quote Originally Posted by bambam126 View Post
    i typed all that and no list popped up just a new line with #
    need help..
    after cd /data/app
    type ls

so it would be
    Code:
    adb remount
    adb shell
    cd /data/app
    ls
    pm install -r -s com.the.package.file-1.apk

Global Posts
    187 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bonsai 4.1.1 RC6

I have been rooting, rom'ing etc like crazy. Now when I try to download angry birds I get 'out of space' error