Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

One more question since this thread now has a brick warning in effect.

25) When the process is complete, DO NOT REBOOT. Nandroid does NOT flash recovery by default, to protect from losing your custom recovery. In this case we WANT to lose it, otherwise we won't be stock, and OTA updates will not work. Therefore we must...
    26) adb shell
    27) mount /sdcard (if this throws an error about "device or resource busy", just ignore it)
    28) cd /sdcard/nandroid/mem=477M/BCDMRS12-20101122-1915
    29) flash_image recovery recovery.img
    30) reboot

All these steps are still performed on the PC, right? Not on the Terminal Emulator on the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by NicksOptimus View Post
    All these steps are still performed on the PC, right? Not on the Terminal Emulator on the phone.
    Once you type adb shell, it is running in your PC command prompt, but the commands you are typing are actually being executed on the phone, just like they would if you used a Terminal Emulator on the phone.

"adb shell" essentially is acting like a terminal emulator running over USB to your phone.
    [How-To] Rooting LS670ZVH
    Installed ZVH by mistake? Use simple update.zip to revert to ZVD / Froyo
    Thanked by:

it is telling me my device isnt found now at step 26
    Last edited by vegeta2123; 02-12-2011 at 01:51 PM. Reason: acedntal mouse click

ROM
    ThunderRom V1.5/[OC Kerne

I have a question. When I try to flash recovery.img it tells me that permission is denied. I don't know why. Can someone help me?

Quote Originally Posted by cmyasika1 View Post
    I have a question. When I try to flash recovery.img it tells me that permission is denied. I don't know why. Can someone help me?
    Are you logged in as root?

ie do you have "#" in the shell prompt?

Quote Originally Posted by sfhub View Post
    Are you logged in as root?

ie do you have "#" in the shell prompt?
    I'm getting the same thing. Mine has a $ instead of a #. I don't know if I'm logged in as root or not. I've followed the instructions listed by the OP and no problems up until step 10

Quote Originally Posted by blackwaterstout View Post
    I'm getting the same thing. Mine has a $ instead of a #. I don't know if I'm logged in as root or not. I've followed the instructions listed by the OP and no problems up until step 10
    If you don't see "#" after step 9, then either you aren't rooted or something was not quite right with your installation of su.

In any event, if you don't see "#" in your shell prompt (instead you see "$") then you will not be able to proceed to step 10 or beyond.

You need to fix that first.

If you don't see "#" after step 9, then either you aren't rooted or something was not quite right with your installation of su.

In any event, if you don't see "#" in your shell prompt (instead you see "$") then you will not be able to proceed to step 10 or beyond.

You need to fix that first.
    I'm rooted because I have superuser and titanium backup installed and I'm able to move apps to SD. I don't know what else I can do.....

I'm rooted because I have superuser and titanium backup installed and I'm able to move apps to SD. I don't know what else I can do.....
    If you don't see "#" in your adb shell prompt, then regardless of whether you are rooted, for the purposes of the shell, the "su" command did not work and you are not root for that adb shell session, and thus cannot proceed.

If you doubt this, type "id" in your adb shell.

You need to figure out why "su" did not give you root privileges to proceed.

If you don't see "#" in your adb shell prompt, then regardless of whether you are rooted, for the purposes of the shell, the "su" command did not work and you are not root for that adb shell session, and thus cannot proceed.

If you doubt this, type "id" in your adb shell.

You need to figure out why "su" did not give you root privileges to proceed.
    Well I certainly belief you. I'm just clueless as to what I need to do now. Im in USB debugging mode, I have all the required software downloaded. I've started the SDK manager. Should it have anything listed in the black "sdk manager box". Mine is blank sort of like an empty command prompt box.

I am able to ADB push the two files I downloaded and unzipped to my SD card. But when I type ADB Shell it just goes to a $ command prompt

I typed ID for the heck of it and it just spit back a bunch of jiberish I don't understand. uid=2000(shell) gid=2000(shell) groups=1003(shell) etc

Damn it I wish I had never rooted this phone to begin with...........

Turn on your phone and make sure you aren't in the screen saver.

When you type "su" in the adb shell, what happens?

It should ask you for permission to allow root privileges. There will be a prompt on your screen asking you that (assuming everything rooted properly)

The "id" would say "root" somewhere if you had root privileges for that "adb shell" session. Since yours does not, we know for sure you aren't root, for that "adb shell" session.
    Thanked by:

Turn on your phone and make sure you aren't in the screen saver.

When you type "su" in the adb shell, what happens?

It should ask you for permission to allow root privileges. There will be a prompt on your screen asking you that (assuming everything rooted properly)

The "id" would say "root" somewhere if you had root privileges for that "adb shell" session. Since yours does not, we know for sure you aren't root, for that "adb shell" session.
    Well that worked. The instructions by the OP did not mention anything about getting a prompt onscreen so I wasn't looking for it. I was paying attention to the cmd prompt. I am now at the # so I will advance through the instructions. Stay tuned for more questions. lol

Well I finished the proceedure and it apeared to work. However now it's rebooted and asked me which language I want. I selected english and all of a sudden I'm in spanish. I don't speak spanish !!

Update, I'm now in english.

Well I finished the proceedure and it apeared to work. However now it's rebooted and asked me which language I want. I selected english and all of a sudden I'm in spanish. I don't speak spanish !!
    That's a totally different issue We only know how to root and flash here. Changing the language is too complicated for us

Now I'm at my next issue. The instructions say
    To upgrade to V9:
    Due to the kernel being from V9, the phone thinks the firmware is up to date, so you will NOT be prompted for the OTA update. However, since I have a copy of it, you can manually install it. Heres how:

1) Plug phone into PC
    2) Enable USB Mass Storage
    3) Download the V8 to V9 update and place it in the root of the USB Device/SDCard as "update.zip" (renaming it is important!)
    4) run the following from cmd prompt: "adb reboot recovery"
    5) You are now at LG's dark-blue recovery screen (should only be 4 options, if not STOP HERE)

6) Select the option with "update.zip"
    7) follow instructions on screen (VERY IMPORTANT)

You now have V9 Radio/Baseband and V9 stock update. You can delete the update.zip from your SDCard when you are back into Android.
    In step 4 I can't run because I no longer have root and I can't get to a # prompt. When I run that command from the $ prompt I get "adb: permission denied". And I get no prompts on my screen

What now?

Global Posts
    2,539 Global Posts
    ROM
    HydroROM

Now I'm at my next issue. The instructions say
    In step 4 I can't run because I no longer have root and I can't get to a # prompt. When I run that command from the $ prompt I get "adb: permission denied". And I get no prompts on my screen

What now?
    You don't run "adb reboot recovery" from within the adb shell. You know when you enter "adb shell"? Replace "shell" with "reboot recovery".
    Thanked by:

that worked thanks. still getting prompt to install vc update. is this safe to do now?

Global Posts
    2,539 Global Posts
    ROM
    HydroROM

that worked thanks. still getting prompt to install vc update. is this safe to do now?
    Kinda.

Make sure you update using the LG update tool, DO NOT accept the regular OTA update.

ROM
    Customized GB.

Default Can this method be used for unrooting VC?

I am on VC stock, rooted but still having problems when I power my phone off. When I power up, I get stuck on the LG logo, then have to pull my battery, remove my sd card, and either power up or enter custom recovery to reboot. Upon rebooting, I can then insert my sd card and all appears to work well. I'm considering reverting back to V8/V9 to see if that will fix my "power up problem". If that fixes my problem, I'll then root and install custom recovery.

Does anybody has any insight into whether unrooting VC and going back to V8/V9 might fix my power up problem? And can anyone confirm that this unrooting procedure works for VC? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by O.a.T. View Post
    I am on VC stock, rooted but still having problems when I power my phone off. When I power up, I get stuck on the LG logo, then have to pull my battery, remove my sd card, and either power up or enter custom recovery to reboot. Upon rebooting, I can then insert my sd card and all appears to work well. I'm considering reverting back to V8/V9 to see if that will fix my "power up problem". If that fixes my problem, I'll then root and install custom recovery.

Does anybody has any insight into whether unrooting VC and going back to V8/V9 might fix my power up problem? And can anyone confirm that this unrooting procedure works for VC? Thanks in advance.
    If you are rooted, then the unroot procedure in the unroot thread will work. It depends on your ability to root. Since you have that part down you are fine.

However, I would try a different SD card first. There is a chance the SD card is your problem.

ROM
    ThunderRom V1.5/[OC Kerne

$ mount /sdcard
    mount /sdcard
    Usage: mount [-r] [-w] [-o options] [-t type] device directory
    $ cd /sdcard/nandroid/mem=477M/BCDMRS12-20101122-1915
    cd /sdcard/nandroid/mem=477M/BCDMRS12-20101122-1915
    cd: can't cd to /sdcard/nandroid/mem=477M/BCDMRS12-20101122-1915
    $ cd /sdcard/nandroid/mem=477M/BCDMRS12-20101122-1915
    cd /sdcard/nandroid/mem=477M/BCDMRS12-20101122-1915
    $ flash_image recovery recovery.img
    flash_image recovery recovery.img
    flash_image: permission denied

WHY IS THIS HAPPENING? THIS IS HAPPENING WHEN I TRY TO FLASH THE LG IMAGE

You can't flash_image recovery unless you are root (ie your shell prompt should be "#" not "$")

Turn on your phone, make sure you aren't in a screensaver.

From the adb shell session type "su"

Look on the phone screen and see if there is a prompt to give root priviileges. If so, allow it to give root privileges.
    Last edited by sfhub; 02-14-2011 at 09:51 AM.

im having a problem it wont let me su
    Last edited by NovaDracon; 02-15-2011 at 04:39 PM.

where do i get ADB or can i use terminal. i rooted my phone using z4root

Quote Originally Posted by javascriptvoid View Post
    where do i get ADB or can i use terminal. i rooted my phone using z4root
    http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-o...optimus-s.html
    Thanked by:
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast