[How-To] Unroot your phone and return to stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

hytek369

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Is there a way to return to factory default (system wipe/restore) without rooting?

Basically, I bought a used phone and I want the other guy's stuff cleared out.

prittyboy203

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Just hold the volume down and power button at the same time and you'll get a little android Guy with a triangle just hit factory reset and you'll be all cleared up

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

jasthomas

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
i just did the nandorid restore but im confused do i restart the phone?????? and then after that i have no idea what to do!!! :( my phone needds to go in for repairs and i need this done asap!!!! i seriously need step by step!!! my htc hero was way easier than this phone!!! :/ that thing had a ruu!!!! i wish this phone did too!!!

crashbowman

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
I am currently on V9 running LegoRom. Could I do this?

1) Nandroid backup my current LegoRom
2) Do this method to return to stock V8
3) Do the update to V9
4) Do the update to VC
5) Re Root/Flash Recovery
6) Restore Nandroid of my Lego Rom
7) Have my old Lego Rom with the new radio

NicksOptimus

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Please. Can one of you Android gurus make a video for the rest of us? Also, while installing custom recovery, we did a nandroid backup so what is that used for?
Can we simply not use the custom recover to reload the original factory image and then remove the custom recovery?

uberjam545

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
couldn't you just wipe everything, restore a nand backup that you made before switching to a custom rom flash the default kernal, remove the custom recovery and then just use z4root to unroot your phone?

IRBanite

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
SO glad I found this guide! but Im having some problems on steps 5 and 6. am I supposed to unzip the recovery kernel and flash_img to my sd card or into the sdk manager tools? Ive tried putting them in both places, and then my next question was when I put in "adb push recovery-RA-GNM-thunderc-s-1.1.0.img /sdcard/" it tells me adb: not found, Ive tried it about 20 times to no avail.

I'm trying to return to stock as well. Did you find an answer for this? I was wondering the same thing. -thanks

htc.user

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm trying to return to stock as well. Did you find an answer for this? I was wondering the same thing. -thanks

me too, i don't understand how i managed to root this phone in the first place because i when i followed the mac post, the adb push command worked. i have both mac and pc (both virtual and tangible), and i receive the adb: not found. please help when anyone gets a chance. the phone still works great. just want to return to stock to update to vc.

kingdavidbaker

Jan 7, 2011
www.kingdavidbaker.com
me too, i don't understand how i managed to root this phone in the first place because i when i followed the mac post, the adb push command worked. i have both mac and pc (both virtual and tangible), and i receive the adb: not found. please help when anyone gets a chance. the phone still works great. just want to return to stock to update to vc.

ADB has to be run directly from the directory where it was installed which on a pc is generally c:/android/platform-tools. If you add that directory to the windows "path" environment variable then you don't have to cd to that directory in order to run adb...otherwise you must be in that directory or the command will not function.

kenny70452

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Followed directions on page 1 down to the using lg update tool part. When I run the tool it says I'm already running lg mobile phone update. I've tried rebooting computer. Simply, how do I use the LG Updater? (OS WIN-XP)
thanks

K4IKEN

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
For some reason I can't get this to work properly. I open up the cmd prompt window and then type in "cd c:/android/android-sdk-windows/platform-tools"(where its located on my comp), where exactly do i go from there?

Whenever I try to type the command into the window I get:

" 'adb' is not recognized as an internal or external command,operable program, or batch file. "

I'm pretty sure I'm missing steps and just want to update and remove the custom recovery with out fear of bricking my device. I restored a nand back up to the stock kernel/ROM and the only thing I need to remove now is the root and custom recovery. Screw this update!!

vegeta_2123

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
ok not working i get to step 11) /data/local/tmp/flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-GNM-thunderc-s-1.1.0.img and it say error partition not found

NicksOptimus

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Can anyone point me to any Videos for putting the phone back to stock?

Are there any videos with instructions on how to remove custom recovery and put the original stock rom back?

NicksOptimus

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Sorry if this sounds stupid but am I unzipping these 2 files 2 my phone's SD card or PC?

5) Unzip the recovery kernel and flash_image.

6) adb push recovery-RA-GNM-thunderc-s-1.1.0.img /sdcard/
7) adb push flash_image /data/local/tmp

Since my phone is connected to my pc at this point, I am assuming I have to type these commands in the PC's cmd prompt?
Also, shouldn't I be giving a path where my files are on my PC? How would that look?

Last edited:

NicksOptimus

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Not that im aware of but just follow zefie's guide to revert to stock and you shouldn't have a problem.

Thanks beezy. I did OK to install the thunderom but need a replacement from Radio shack because of bad battery contacts and didn't want to brick (LOL).
I am not very good with linux commands but I will ask more questions in the proper thread.
BTW, one of you guys should look into making videos like they have on XDA. Seeing something happen on the screen makes very easy to follow instructions.
Otherwise thanks for the super stuff you guys do here for our phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech