Idiots Guide to Rooting and Custom ROMs, Optimus S Edition

simon.ponder

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Simon,

Yes I am literally copy and pasting the step by step instructions into the adb shell. And again, the time I get the error is when I have already copied the custom recovery files to the root of the sd card and then start to copy and paste the commands in from there.

Please, give us a screen shot, like psaurus81 did, or copy the command prompt text.

pmpmstrb

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully I can find time to tackle this tomorrow. I'm new to the whole Android thing, but rooted my Palm Pre. The only question I have is about the backups. Do they save your settings? Like notification, screen, etc? Or is it just contacts and game data? I've got my fingers crossed that I won't be posting in here about the $ or # issue.

Great guide btw.

pmpmstrb

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Ended up rooting last night after the family went to sleep. Couple of issues with your guide.

Section 1
1.a) Java Runtime Environment

When I went to install the Android SDK it said the JRE is not a valid platform for the application. I had to download the JDK from here Link in order for it to work.

Section 3
1) You need two files, flash_image.zip and recovery-RA-GNM-thunderc-s-1.1.0.img.zip, both of which can be found towards the bottom of the original thread. Copy them to the root of your SD card.

These need to be EXTRACTED to the root of the SD card not just copied. Knowing this in the beginning would have saved me a lot of time and headaches.

melficersx

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
i am so absolutely positive that i am in the right folder because i only have ONE folder and it is called tools NOT platform-tools. and i am still getting the "adb is not reconginized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file." error. what the crap is wrong?

O.a.T.

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
i am so absolutely positive that i am in the right folder because i only have ONE folder and it is called tools NOT platform-tools. and i am still getting the "adb is not reconginized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file." error. what the crap is wrong?

Do you see the "adb.exe" file in that folder? If not do a search and find the folder where it is at, and then "cd" to there and execute from there.

G1Prawl

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
well, I've gotten to the command prompt part. i copy and paste [adb push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage] and all I get is error: device not found.

yeah, I need help :/ I reinstalled the drivers also, so Idk whats wrong..

Im having the same problem anyone have a solution???

mark.t

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
i need help on the command promt part when entering the first step which is putting the tools folder.
when i enter all i get is
'android\platform-tools' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

pmpmstrb

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site

Im having the same problem anyone have a solution???

What is the command string you are entering when it returns the error? My guess is you are pointing it to the wrong directory. Did you open it up in Windows Explorer to see what folders you have? I would try android\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools just to make sure.

i need help on the command promt part when entering the first step which is putting the tools folder.
when i enter all i get is
'android\platform-tools' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Are you sure it isn't android\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools? That is what my default directory was, so unless you changed it it should be the same.

G1Prawl

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
im pointing it to the right directory its just not seeing the device... do i need to download drivers for the phone onto my computer with the lg thingy??? if so how? im having problem with the lg updater.

pmpmstrb

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Are you talking about the LG Updater box in the middle of your screen with the red progress bar? If so it took me probably six tries to get past that screen. If it stalls out for more than a few minutes, you'll need to ctrl+alt+del and click on the processes tab and kill the LG one and try again. You definitely need to finish that step before trying to get into adb shell

G1Prawl

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
now i type in "adb push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage" and it says no such file directory???

Last edited:

G1Prawl

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
i take it this will take a wile... this being a form and every thing... if you have an answer can you please pm me... i really want thunder rom on my phone

mark.t

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
i dont understand this part?
how do i get to sdk
2)Plug in the phone like we did in Section 1, and open up the ADB shell (like we did before- enter the cmd, navigate to where your SDK is installed, and type adb shell).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21