[HACK] PRL swapping.

ohnonomiss

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
long time androidcentral reader, first post. rooted running thunderom VD baseband

I am very confused on what this does. I had heard that with sprint, roaming uses the VZW towers which are much better and stronger in most areas.

I have the everything data with any mobile anytime plan. it says roaming is free, but when roaming, any call counts against your 1500/3000 minutes, even if they are calls to mobile numbers. I do not know what the situation with data roaming is, someone please inform me.

What does this PRL update do? i would love to have the reliability of VZW towers over sprints if the minutes did not go against my 1500. I wouldnt be going over the 800 roaming maximum, but i just wouldnt want any of my minutes used.

would this PRL update let me use VZW towers while still having unlimited mobile to mobile minutes? also, i use data and texting more than calls, so is this is only worth it assuming that VZW's 3G data is better than sprints, which im assuming it is.

Thanks very much

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
would this PRL update let me use VZW towers while still having unlimited mobile to mobile minutes? also, i use data and texting more than calls, so is this is only worth it assuming that VZW's 3G data is better than sprints, which im assuming it is.
If I recall correct, it'll let you choose VZN towers over Sprint. However, as you've noticed Sprint's policy is when roaming, you do not get unlimited mobile2mobile. No PRL or hack will change that as it is done on the billing side.

w/r/t data, you are going to need to experiment. The roaming agreements Sprint has are different for various regions. You might not get 3g data at all, even if Sprint has data in a particular area, if VZN is listed higher in that area's PRL entry than Sprint and there is no 3g roaming agreement there.

ohnonomiss

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
The roaming agreements Sprint has are different for various regions.

That's really unfortunate that sprint's roaming agreements vary by region. I have the everything data plan, you would think there is a single explanation for what you would be charged for data /mb while roaming.

If there was a clear explanation from sprint i would like to see it. experimenting with vzw's data in my area would have been nice. until then, i'll wait to flash.

jcwxguy

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
That's really unfortunate that sprint's roaming agreements vary by region. I have the everything data plan, you would think there is a single explanation for what you would be charged for data /mb while roaming.

If there was a clear explanation from sprint i would like to see it. experimenting with vzw's data in my area would have been nice. until then, i'll wait to flash.

From my experience, when i "roam" while using voice or data, each minute using those services (on the phone talking to someone, or browsing the internet) goes towards the allowed minutes in the plan (my case 450 minutes). I have seen this reflected on both my bill and talking with customer service to find out how the "free" roaming works. *i live in southeast nebraska*

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

I didn't say anything about being charged. Just what you are provided as service in each region.

You aren't charged anything for data roaming. They give you a 300mb limit in your ToS, after which they spell out in their contract their only option is to warn you or terminate you. However I've only ever seen people get letters for multiple months of going over the 800min voice limit and OP has done multiple GB roaming data and hasn't seen anything. As mentioned in previous posts, unlimited mobile 2 mobile is not valid while roaming, so that uses your base minutes and you might see overages through that route. That rate is pointed out in your contract.

Last edited:

ravioli

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Multiple ports

Exactly which port should I be looking for? I have 3 listed in device manager. Thanks!

Nevermind! Figured it out. MY DATA SPEEDS JUST TRIPLED from inside my house using 40065. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!

Last edited:

ravioli

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Attached is Sprint's latest PRL --01115. I loaded this version and data is about as fast as before and seems more consistent/steady. Unzip 1st of course.

Good luck! :)

Attachments

• 01115.zip
    4.1 KB · Views: 22

HeXDeMoN

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure if there is a easy way to know besides trying them all.

I have however found some other PRL's that have improved my speed and service near my work by ohare airport

[6/16]*techknowfile's* - Hack the HTC EVO - 3G w/o Sprint EVDO coverage! - xda-developers

I'm getting 1-1.2 down constant now using 00001, 31337 or 01337 as opposed to the official prl's I been getting spotty services going 1x..missing calls left and right. Since I switched to the prls listed in that thread constant 3g and cell service full bars or only missing one.

DoesItMatter

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
does anyone know ware i can get a list of plrs for each region or how would i get the prl that is best for ware i live?

You'd have to try different ones.

40065 is working quite well up here in the Pacific NW (Washington) area - but may also work elsewhere.

It's sort of a hit/miss type deal unless someone else in the forums lives very close
to your geographical location and has already done the testing and reported results.

I believe I tried maybe 4 or 5 different PRL's before sticking with 40065

DoesItMatter

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
To assist other forum members looking for PRL assistance, when you post success
with a replacement PRL - can you also put your geographic location?

Don't have to put city, the state should be good enough unless you're out in the boonies!