Modified black MMS apk download

Droid-One

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
This is a modified mms.apk file that can be used on the optimus s. This will make the sms background black instead. I personally like it this way better than stock.

You Must Be Rooted (use at your own risk)

Directions
Save the mms.apk linked to your desktop
drag it to the root of your sd card
open up root explorer which works like any file explorer
find the sd folder and copy mms.apk
then find system/app in androids file system
hit the mount r/o button
find the original mms.apk and rename it to mms.apk.bak
then paste the file you just copied from your Sd root
Once pasted change the permission on the new mms.apk to match the file you just changed to .bak (just long press the file to get permission option)
Done

Once installed you will notice that it still shows as white even though the check box in settings will say black background is set. Go into the settings in the sms app and unclick black background. Go back into the app and recheck black background. Then go back out again and back in and it should be black. You will have more options for customizing the app also.

File updated to show green notification icon. Picture attached below

Last edited:
Reactions: cricketsouth

Luckywuffboi

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
OK.. so wait.. I'm mildly slow.. Snail pace even..
If i get the Android mate, what do i do next?
I tried to find the folder didnt work.. i tried to install didnt work.. o.o
Phone has to be rooted? yes no?
Such a noob.. =\

Nick7

Brick Master
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
OK.. so wait.. I'm mildly slow.. Snail pace even..
If i get the Android mate, what do i do next?
I tried to find the folder didnt work.. i tried to install didnt work.. o.o
Phone has to be rooted? yes no?
Such a noob.. =\

You pretty much need to be rooted for this. Or just get handcent.

holangja1

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
this is awesome. I like the black background and the extra settings like vibration duration. thanks!
question the stock mms had a green icon on the notification bar, this mms turned it black, how can i change it back to green? black looks weird on a black notification bar.

Droid-One

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
this is awesome. I like the black background and the extra settings like vibration duration. thanks!
question the stock mms had a green icon on the notification bar, this mms turned it black, how can i change it back to green? black looks weird on a black notification bar.

Updated first post to include Green notification icon for sms and mms. Replace the last one with this one.

Reactions: slipd and holangja1

Droid-One

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
i can receive but i cant send. its stuck on "sending..."

Yeah that's why I pulled the file. I have been working on getting it fixed but I can't seem to alter the apk to make it copy the original xml files into the new mms.apk because Lg uses a slightly different file system. I will keep working on it and hopefully I can get it figured out.

simon.ponder

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Eclipse

Yeah that's why I pulled the file. I have been working on getting it fixed but I can't seem to alter the apk to make it copy the original xml files into the new mms.apk because Lg uses a slightly different file system. I will keep working on it and hopefully I can get it figured out.

Are you trying to make your changes in Eclipse or some other editor? You may need to break apart the apk, and then rebuild after getting it to work. I may be preaching to the choir here, so sorry if this hits you the wrong way.

Droid-One

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
This might even be a apn issue which is going to be hard to fix. There is a difference in the stock and this mms.apk. The sprint settings are missing, which is causing it to get stuck sending out mms. I have tried to take it apart and it still just sits in sending status. I have run into this problem with other system apk's also. I was trying to swap out the browser and it won't allow me to because of the .pro files lg uses. Frustrating!!!

dannyac

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
can you repost it? i deleted my mms.apk and dont' send them so i dont' even care lol

plus i've edited my apn with apn backkup and restore ap

96blkgsr

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Here's an mms.apk that will allow you to choose whether you want a white or black background. I found it on SDX in the moment 2.2 section. It was originally pulled from CM6.1.1 and I have tested it on my wife's Optimus S. It works great and it has more options than the stock mms.apk.
Mms-EB28-v2.zip

This is a flashable zip made for the moment and will not install on the optimus. If someone cares to make a zip for it then please do. Otherwise, what I did was, extract the mms.apk from the zip, place it on my sdcard, use root explorer and move mms.apk to system/app folder, set permissions rw-r-r, and reboot.
In order to change the background to black, I opened messaging app/menu/settings/unchecked black background/backed out of messaging app/opened messaging again/menu/settings/checked black background.
I tested whether I could send and receive messages and everything worked great. Sorry if this has been posted already, but I tried searching and couldn't find anything.