Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Discussion For - Root, Recovery, ROM without touching a computer

This is the thread to discuss the sticky on how to Root, Recovery and ROM without a computer.

WARNING WARNING!!! Sprint is pushing out an updated named LS670ZVC starting on 2/7/2011. This update breaks this root process. Open Menu > Settings > about phone > if SW Version = LS670ZVC then this process will not work for you. WARNING WARNING!!!
    [CENTER][URL="https://plus.google.com/u/0/+KPSmith/posts"]Follow me on Google +
    Thanked by 12:
    + Show/Hide list of the thanked
    Brick Master

ROM
    CM7

I was amazed when I could root and ROM my girlfriends and sisters boyfriends Samsung Vibrant without a computer and under ten minutes coming from the Samsung Moment and HTC Hero. Not too shabby Anyways, thanks for the guide and merry Christmas.
    [/URL]
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Merry christmas nick!

Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    ROM
    Original 2.3.4

Awesome post

Does terminal emulator have auto fill feature like it does on linux?

ROM
    Thunder Rom G1.6.2

Thank you so much for putting this up Ksmith. I got my phone to do nandroid backup and now I'm ready to flash my to TR V1.5. Do I need to flash anything after that? Oh, and Merry Christmas to everyone.
    Brick Master

ROM
    CM7

Quote Originally Posted by CaliFourtwenty_ View Post
    Thank you so much for putting this up Ksmith. I got my phone to do nandroid backup and now I'm ready to flash my to TR V1.5. Do I need to flash anything after that? Oh, and Merry Christmas to everyone.
    Your flashable buildprop edit of choice!
    [/URL]

ROM
    thundeROM 1.5 / xionia

thanks for the post, Ksmith. this is exactly how I got it done only there were no dummy-proof guides like this around. merry xmas.

Sent from my Optimus via Tapatalk

Global Posts
    377 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Thanks!!!!

Everything worked until I started entering the term. commands. It did well with just the SU but the other lines after were the problem, tells me on the second line after SU cannot create file cuz its read only, the one after does well but the next o e says file doesn't exist. That's as far as I have asi don't wish to accidentally brick my Optimus S, I have been searching for a way to do this all day and just rooted my phone Christmas morning so all this is a little new to me. Please Help.

When I entered su in the terminal emulator it said access denied how do I fix this
    B4100 likes this.

ROM
    CyanogenMod 9

@KSmith you can shorten the remount commands

mount -o remount,rw /system /system
    mount -o remount,ro /system /system

not only does this work, but it is safer, in case someone typoes the mtdblock #

Also, I suggest placing flash_image in /system/xbin rather than /system/bin.

Lastly, you have a typo in the recovery image link. Not in the url but in the post. imp.zip
    My GitHub (Source Code)
    Follow me on Twitter: @zefie
    Thanked by:
    lcb117 

ROM
    thundeROM 1.5 / xionia

Quote Originally Posted by caul View Post
    When I entered su in the terminal emulator it said access denied how do I fix this
    sounds like you haven't granted term emu root access. if rooted, when you enter su in term emu superuser app should pop up with request for more permission. go ahead and allow/remember.

ROM
    ThunderROM 1.8.3; CM7

Just an fyi for those like me who z4root didn't for, superone-click worked perfect. Found on XDA as well.
    DROID Master

Global Posts
    800 Global Posts
    ROM

Make this a sticky please
    DROID Master

Global Posts
    800 Global Posts
    ROM

Quote Originally Posted by Konpaku Ibutsu View Post
    Everything worked until I started entering the term. commands. It did well with just the SU but the other lines after were the problem, tells me on the second line after SU cannot create file cuz its read only, the one after does well but the next o e says file doesn't exist. That's as far as I have asi don't wish to accidentally brick my Optimus S, I have been searching for a way to do this all day and just rooted my phone Christmas morning so all this is a little new to me. Please Help.
    I'm getting same problem with read only error. Rooted and Super User works ok.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    I'm getting same problem with read only error. Rooted and Super User works ok.
    Take a screen shot using the free app "shoot me" and post the pic when you get the error.

brilliant!
    I was having trouble doing it through my computer this is AWESOME!
    happy new year
    DROID Master

Global Posts
    800 Global Posts
    ROM

Success! ROM'd and love it so far

Thanx OP,

I managed to flash my wifes phone using z4root then followed your guide for recovery. Thanx for the help!!!

Sent from Point A to Point B
    DROID Master

Global Posts
    800 Global Posts
    ROM

Super Huge THANK YOU for this method. Once I figured out I miss typed in a command line it went smooth!

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    ROM
    MikG v2.6x

KSmithInNY - thanks for all the great tips (I have used several of them with my Evo). I am now using this thread to root my wife's Optimus and ran into an error while trying to run a nandroid backup. Everything went fine until then, when I got the following error ...

Error: Run 'nandroid-mobile.sh' via adb!

Any thoughts on this?

UPDATE - Nevermind. I was plugged in via USB. Disconnected and nandroid went smoothly. Thanks!

ROM
    xionia#3, still figuring

Default please i am this (see small finger space?) close to my first rom!

ok so I followed your tutorial and I got through it Nanroid created, custom recovery created, rooted...

When I went to boot I ran quick boot and it gave me the original stock boot menu and not the one I had after following your directions.

I think I changed the custom recovery back to the stock because I cannot get it to come back. I think I deleted a file out of the sd root because I didn't think I needed it. dummy- So now I just get the stock screen and when I go back through instructions on emulator it still goes to stock. How can I reset it to start over or fix this?

I want to install thunderom on optimus s.

Also once flashed, how do I restore all settings?

ROM
    thundeROM 1.5 / xionia

Quote Originally Posted by dances1000 View Post
    ok so I followed your tutorial and I got through it Nanroid created, custom recovery .... back through instructions on emulator it still goes to stock .....
    it sounds like you lucked out and didn't brick your phone. what youre saying as to how you got to where youre now is impossible without doing a flash back to stock through custom recovery. either way, power down and see if you can get into custom recovery w/the three button deal (power+voldown+home). if you still have custom recovery it may just be a quickboot bug, in which case you could just uninstall and get it from the market. if not, i'd try to format the sdcard before attempting to install custom recovery again. good luck.

Thanked by:
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Quote Originally Posted by dances1000 View Post
    ok so I followed your tutorial and I got through it Nanroid created, custom recovery created, rooted...

When I went to boot I ran quick boot and it gave me the original stock boot menu and not the one I had after following your directions.

I think I changed the custom recovery back to the stock because I cannot get it to come back. I think I deleted a file out of the sd root because I didn't think I needed it. dummy- So now I just get the stock screen and when I go back through instructions on emulator it still goes to stock. How can I reset it to start over or fix this?

If i were a betting man id say you need to go back to step 11 and pay special attention to this line ...
    mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak
    If you still have the file /system/etc/install-recovery.sh on your phone, the end result will be when you try to go into recovery a second time, you'll still have the stock recovery image. It will work the first time, just not after rebooting so if you try a second time .... it's the stock image.

Start again on step 11.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    xionia#3, still figuring

Default its early so let me try this again

so i followed all the steps and basically went all the way to create nandroid on the custom recovery screen. I have this file on my sd now. Before I wiped I got a little nervous and so I ran backup root or whatever. Then at that point my phone was low on memory so I thought I could delete the two files from sd root used to create custom recovery. Then I could not get into custom recovery screen like you show us with the custom options. I think I even typed the line into the emulator and it took me to stock screen. My phone is nowhere near bricked at the moment! Now anytime I go back to recovery boot it just shows stock. At the time I didn't realize it was the wrong screen and I tried to recover from zip in sd and it said an error due to signature? Anyway, I'm gonna go letter and space verbatim and run the emulator again. Please let me know if this helps. If it works how do I (with sprint id showing up first thing after wipe!) restore everything once the rom is running and rebooted? Is there an easy way to get to custom recovery instead of stock? Was it because I deleted those two files from root that it went to stock when I rebooted in recovery?
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast