Optimus S: Not yet bricked - just a bit crippled.

pblmt

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I attempted to root and flash RA via adb. I was able to root but when I attempted to flash the new recovery and reboot, the phone rebooted into Andriod system recovery with the following error:

Finding update package.....
E:Can't find command file CACHE: recovery/command
Installation aborted, no valid image in CACHE.

and I can't get past it, adb shell does not work anymore, though I can reach the sdcard. I downloaded the original rom and attempted to use KDZ to flash it but KDZ exited with a "file extraction" error.

Can anyone think of anything else I can do to recover this phone?

Thanks...

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
I attempted to root and flash RA via adb. I was able to root but when I attempted to flash the new recovery and reboot, the phone rebooted into Andriod system recovery with the following error:

Finding update package.....
E:Can't find command file CACHE: recovery/command

and I can't get past it, adb shell does not work anymore, though I can reach the sdcard. I downloaded the original rom and attempted to use KDZ to flash it but KDZ exited with a "file extraction" error.

Can anyone think of anything else I can do to recover this phone?

Thanks...

What happens when you try to go into recovery(power on+volume down+home?
When you say can access sdcard how by taking it out or adb?

pblmt

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
It goes into recovery (android system recovery not RA) but gives the error I listed above. I can access the sdcard by taking it out or by usb, I cannot access it using adb.

It happend after following section 3 of this post:
http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-...de-rooting-custom-roms-optimus-s-edition.html

mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system
cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image
chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image
mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak
mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-GNM-thunderc-s-1.1.0.img
reboot recovery

I'm thinking it's running the install-recovery.sh but not finding the img to flash.

aguero78

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I have this exact issue. What did you do once you got to adb?? I havent rooted the optimus yet. I just went into recovery to check it out. Once I selected reboot system now it took me to a screen with and exclimation point and an android character. I waited about 10 min and pulled the battery. Now ii only boots into recovery with E:Can't find command file CACHE: recovery/command
HELP!

JonBryant

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I had the same issue. I just did the factory reset and clear cache from the stock recovery and it booted back up, but from a fresh start.

Mom2Ninjas

May 25, 2010
Visit site
My daughter's stock Opt S is doing this. In recovery mode it tells me that it can't find CACHE:recovery/command

Is there somewhere that I can download this file? And can I install it from her SD card?

kfunk70

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I had the same issue. I just did the factory reset and clear cache from the stock recovery and it booted back up, but from a fresh start.

How were you able to get a factory reset to work? My wife's phone has this issue - same <3e> Android system recovery screen with no valid image in cache. I can scroll up and down but am unable to select anything. It just goes back to the triangle of death with tha android character staring at me as if in disbelief!

hubh98

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem. I felt so upset. It turns out I am so stupid, that I keep push home button to confirm the action. It should be menu button! Just push menu button to get out of the recovery.

squigglily

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem. I felt so upset. It turns out I am so stupid, that I keep push home button to confirm the action. It should be menu button! Just push menu button to get out of the recovery.

Well, I feel pretty dumb now. I was using the home button too...