So your phone hit 864mhz...

trekkie1701c

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
What do you have setup on it? I know that the phones are hit or miss on what they can hit, though did have an interesting experience recently that leads me to believe that some people might be able to hit faster speeds :p

Pretty much normally my phone runs stable at 806; at 824 I can run it, though it will crash from time to time. Anything above that will instantly crash the phone.

That said, after doing a second data wipe after installing LegoROM (think my phone may not like an app that I had on my SD card), I inadvertantly set SetCPU to 864, and the phone didn't crash. Even managed to run a stress test for a minute or so before it locked up on me. Have not been able to replicate it, though I've managed to hit 844 stably for a few minutes (Have not tested longer than that).

That said, I've changed several things recently on my phone, so would be helpful to see what setup people who are hitting 864 have :p

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
I can run 864 stable,there's nothing special about it just some phones have picky processors and some don't.This is true for every phone that is out. My evo could run 1.22 and ksmith could only do 1.15. I had a hero that would boot at the highest cpu 768 and most wouldn't boot higher then 691.
With all that said just cause I can run stable at 864 doesn't mean I run at 864. Personally i don't run above 600 unless im benchmarking. If my phone can't preform at 600 the tasks i want it to then there's something wrong.lol I ran my phone at 122min/768,806,and 864max for one day each just to see I didn't have one single reboot,lock up,or anything weird happen.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
ehhhh ... some phones can run it (I've personally witnessed it) and some phones, like mine, can't. That's the nature of technology.

I really wouldn't sweat it.

twobit

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Still cant run at 864 .. constant reboots but it does hold nice at 844 .. but i seem to get better stats at 825..... running stagefright + acc package ...

zefie

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Anything you get over 600 you should appreciate. The fact is your CPU was tested to run at 600mhz stable and no more. Not unlike PC overclocking, each individual CPU will overclock differently, even if they were on the same production line.

My CPU can do about 806 stable. Your CPU might only do 700. And they could have been sitting next to each other in the factory. Who knows.

trekkie1701c

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I realize that, it just strikes me as odd that I can keep pushing it up a notch :p When I first tried to OC the phone I couldn't get it to run past 806 at all without crashing. Then I managed to get to 824 in a somewhat stable way. Now after doing some things that should be unrelated to it, I can knock it up to 844 and managed to hit 864 without the phone insta-crashing. So while there may be a hardware aspect which limits what the phone can run at with a stable speed, I'm thinking there may be some aspects to it with software.

If not, then I don't understand how my phone has managed to get an extra 40 mhz of speed without a hardware change (however, I am rather new at this so feel free to enlighten me if there is something that could be causing it)

Not doing this as a "here's how to get every phone to 864 if you can't overclock it" thread, nor am I saying that I'd be able to hit 864 with any discussions that are done here. Didn't say I'd keep my phone at that high of a speed even if it was stable, either :p All I'm saying is that I tweaked a bunch of random stuff in software and my phone ran at a higher speed without crashing, and I'd like to see what I may have changed that's done it (and see if I can't hit 864).

After some fiddling around, I do think part of it is moving some apps off of my SD card. That's about all I've figured out so far that seems to have an effect on stability :p

EDIT: To put it a bit shorter, my theory is that you can set up a phone's software in such a way that it will not hit it's full overclock potential, not that you'd be able to change the software to exceed that potential. As for why I'm even bothering with it, why bother with overclocking in the first place? :p

Last edited:

s33ker

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
trekkie1701c, it sounds you've reasoned something in your mind concluded it must be that way. It isn't. I liken it to someone who goes to a religious text looking for confirmation of what they already believe rather than searching for perceived truth.

BTW my phone will only run at 787mhz. Moments after I go to 806mhz the phone reboots. Running the same software as beezy who can do 864mhz and run Quadrent.

Sincerely,
bloodbought
Resident Optimus S Forum Psychologist :)

ka5023

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
So your phone hit 864mhz...
You are eaten by a grue.

Seriously though, what you are seeing is something called electromigration, or something very similar to it. Basically there are some movements of atoms inside the chip that powers the phone between the current, heat, and other factors. This can lead to being able to OC a chip that previously couldn't hit that high, and in a few years will cause it to fail in the same way. Some call it "warming up", others "letting it settle", but the net effect is that the circuits do change in minute ways.

-- Starfox

trekkie1701c

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Actually, I just hadn't heard a good explanation for it. Apologies if I sounded arrogant, just look at it from my perspective: I change some things, and I get a certain result. To me that says the change must have done something. That said, if it's possible for a proccessor to change over time, I will accept that. :p

michael6a2

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
To those who are interested, try this out. Set your cpu to "power saver", then... thats it... try overclocking your phone now, (806-864) My phone works @ 806 and above, only rebooting once or twice in a day. I want a beer too! :'( lol

rinard

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
To those who are interested, try this out. Set your cpu to "power saver", then... thats it... try overclocking your phone now, (806-864) My phone works @ 806 and above, only rebooting once or twice in a day. I want a beer too! :'( lol
I wouldn't consider daily reboots stable, but to each their own.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze