[How-to] Guide to Rooting with software version LS670ZVC

Status
Not open for further replies.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
yeah..ksmith. from the get go. i had the files in platform-tools ..yeah i noticed the gap in the instructions. and the path yeah i got that. and still notta..what im doing right now is using the orig. files from ur orig root thread..lol. trying everything.

I see from the last few pages you're switching up how you do things because i see the same errors in CMD as the others saw. Can you post a fresh screen with your adjustments so i can look again?

scifan

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
no luck.. have tried everything that i know of..to get passed

rageagainstthecage : permission denied

im not a noob. but damnt lol im missing something. hahaha.

when you're in shell, in /sdcard, do a "/system/bin/ls -l rage*" and see what it shows...

(should be something like "-rwxrwxrwx" and some additional stuff)

oh... and make sure you actually flash the recovery rom...

I think I also had to wipe my cache afterwards so it would boot ok...

ltrz

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
when you're in shell, in /sdcard, do a "/system/bin/ls -l rage*" and see what it shows...

(should be something like "-rwxrwxrwx" and some additional stuff)

oh... and make sure you actually flash the recovery rom...

I think I also had to wipe my cache afterwards so it would boot ok...

----rwxr-x system sdcard_rw 5392 2010-11-05 19:14 rageagainstthecage

zefie

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
----rwxr-x system sdcard_rw 5392 2010-11-05 19:14 rageagainstthecage

You are not in recovery mode. This makes a difference.
It will not work in Android mode, the kernel is patched. You are attacking the RECOVERY KERNEL.

I can tell that ls isn't from recovery mode because recovery mode doesn't know usernames like "system" and "sdcard_rw". it uses uid like 1002

lionedas

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Had allot of problems getting this to work But I did finally get it,
hope this helps others.

First take all the commands that are on page (1) copy and paste them in a text file! use the text file to copy and paste the commands in to cmd.exe make sure you don't copy any extra spaces before or after the text, a small space after the text screwed it up at least for me.

Place your phone in recovery manually by powering down, waiting a few seconds, and then holding volume down, home, and power button until the lg logo appears and disappears, let go at that point.

Next take the 3 files from inside optimusroot.zip and placed them inside C:\android\platform-tools, or where ever your adb is located.

Follow the steps on page (1) up to step 3, at step 3 you need to use the menu keys on the phone to try and update to V9, thats when you get the error.

Just follow the rest of the steps on page making sure your using the commands from your text file. and it should work.

Thanks for the root

Last edited:
Reactions: jmb1317

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
not sure how i feel to have my method reworded and posted as your own but hey have fun with tech support :)

Edit: I guess i just feel there should be a link back to it or at least 'thanks to zefie for finding this'. But otherwise I am happy you have it in a more user-friendly format. Sorry if I came off as annoyed or mad, because I'm not.

Btw you can safely completely remove step 6.

My apologies for not giving credit where credit is clearly due. Original post updated accordingly :)

lionedas

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
zefie or ?

Will custom recovery work with the new update, I have not tried to load it yet, I'm back to sprints recovery after flashing my phone down and then back up to the latest update, but am wondering if anyone here has custom recovery loaded on there optimus with the new LS670ZVC update.

Thanks

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
zefie or ?

Will custom recovery work with the new update, I have not tried to load it yet, I'm back to sprints recovery after flashing my phone down and then back up to the latest update, but am wondering if anyone here has custom recovery loaded on there optimus with the new LS670ZVC update.

Thanks

Really funny you should ask, because I JUST NOW updated the original post with some Custom Recovery instructions. Great minds think alike, eh?

Reactions: lionedas

cordell

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
so if I am rooted already with lego rom can I just run the OTA update and then use this method to re-root? I am getting tired of the system update notification that keeps popping up every 30 minutes, even though I removed the file from cache, lol.

Thanks

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
so if I am rooted already with lego rom can I just run the OTA update and then use this method to re-root? I am getting tired of the system update notification that keeps popping up every 30 minutes, even though I removed the file from cache, lol.

Thanks

I haven't tried that, but my gut tells me applying a stock OTA update to a custom ROM is probably a bad idea. If you have a pressing need to update, I would personally suggest reverting to stock and apply the update from there. That's what I did and in my opinion it's the best way to ensure a clean update.

cordell

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
I haven't tried that, but my gut tells me applying a stock OTA update to a custom ROM is probably a bad idea. If you have a pressing need to update, I would personally suggest reverting to stock and apply the update from there. That's what I did and in my opinion it's the best way to ensure a clean update.

Yeah I just looked at the update, it has Odex files and my rom is DeOdexed. I nandroided back to rooted stock, now when I place the update back into my cache it doesnt offer me the chance to update, can I just flash the zip? Thats all that is does anyway is reboot you to "recovery" and flash it automatically right?

thanks

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I just looked at the update, it has Odex files and my rom is DeOdexed. I nandroided back to rooted stock, now when I place the update back into my cache it doesnt offer me the chance to update, can I just flash the zip? Thats all that is does anyway is reboot you to "recovery" and flash it automatically right?

thanks

You should be able to simply flash the zip in recovery mode, provided you also restored the LG Recovery. I personally used the LG update tool on Windows.

cordell

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
You should be able to simply flash the zip in recovery mode, provided you also restored the LG Recovery. I personally used the LG update tool on Windows.

I just read all that v8 to v9 to v8 kernel to flash update zip for VC, to much to do. I just wanna stop the notifying of the OTA update now. God I miss HTC!

ltrz

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
finally found the damn issue....for some reason no matter what i did to the update file..(renaming etc) wasnt working so finally..before doing adb shell...ended up killing server then restarting server..then deleted all files i had with that update.zip and red/ld form the first page and finally got workin..switching to my netbook may of helped to lol.

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Good to see you got it working! Now that you're rooted, make sure you install SuperUser from the Market. It would also not be a terrible idea to install custom recovery at this time.

If you have any further issues or questions, do not hesitate to ask :)

cordell

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site

So I nandroid restored to my stock backup, then rebooted to recovery (not stock) I flashed the update as Update.zip (I renamed it). It checked my system to make sure all is correct/verified, I figured any issues would keep it from installing. It then told me to reboot with volume buttons or menu, I chose menu. It then stated writing boot image and cycled to the silver LG screen, where it has been sitting for quite a while now :( I cant adb logcat or adb shell. Do I turn it off and try again?

Yeah not good, phone will not leave that silver LG screen!!! No recovery, nothing :(

Last edited:

zefie

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
So I nandroid restored to my stock backup, then rebooted to recovery (not stock) I flashed the update as Update.zip (I renamed it). It checked my system to make sure all is correct/verified, I figured any issues would keep it from installing. It then told me to reboot with volume buttons or menu, I chose menu. It then stated writing boot image and cycled to the silver LG screen, where it has been sitting for quite a while now :( I cant adb logcat or adb shell. Do I turn it off and try again?

Yeah not good, phone will not leave that silver LG screen!!! No recovery, nothing :(

If I am reading this right, you tried to flash V8_to_V9 with custom recovery.

If so, congrats you have a brick. Your custom recovery flashed radio and there is no known method for restoring it. Best call Sprint...

cordell

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
If I am reading this right, you tried to flash V8_to_V9 with custom recovery.

If so, congrats you have a brick. Your custom recovery flashed radio and there is no known method for restoring it. Best call Sprint...

I had V9 stock rooted, renamed the OTA to update.zip and flashed. It verified everything and then told me to reboot using volume keys or menu, I used menu and bam! Silver LG screen for a long time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes