What are v8 and v9 radios?

uberjam545

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
My guess is that updating it has something to do with the gingerbread update, but
-what is a radio?
-Why should i or need to update it?
-If i update it can i reroot my phone and return to my Lego rom without losing any of the apps i have downloaded?
-and how can we check which one our phone is?

Last edited:

Lordhungus

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
It probably would be best/ easiest to wait for the devs to update Lego Rom with the new baseband. I think Zefie's Rom is the only one for the new baseband if you unroot to upgrade. Don't accept OTA updates if you are getting them.

Reactions: uberjam545

uberjam545

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
i thought the only way to get it would be through from an OTA update, fine with me if i have to wait i have no idea what it is any way and as far as i know im fine without it..

scifan

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
the V8 radio/baseband is the radio that was installed with the stock "v8" software... most have V9 software by default (before rooting) which would mean you have the "V9" radio/baseband...

VC is the new baseband/radio/software that came out just a couple of days ago.

zefie

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Radio is like a BIOS. Right now I advise against upgrading because there is a 50/50 chance you will not be able to root with the discovered method and will be STUCK ON STOCK. (oh teh horrorz)

Don't upgrade or even play with VC until we have a working downgrade using PC, or a surefire root for VC.

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Radio is like a BIOS. Right now I advise against upgrading because there is a 50/50 chance you will not be able to root with the discovered method and will be STUCK ON STOCK. (oh teh horrorz)

Don't upgrade or even play with VC until we have a working downgrade using PC, or a surefire root for VC.

IS it happening to people that are just now getting the update or is it just anyone in general? Im just wondering if the v9 to VC update zip you have posted is one that 100% can be rooted if so then we need to make that very well known so people use it instead of the ota that's getting pushed.

zefie

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
IS it happening to people that are just now getting the update or is it just anyone in general? Im just wondering if the v9 to VC update zip you have posted is one that 100% can be rooted if so then we need to make that very well known so people use it instead of the ota that's getting pushed.

Nick was having trouble and he used the LG Updater method.

Technically the updater in both the CAB and ZIP are designed to flash the recovery kernel to the same kernel as boot, but with a different initrd (/etc/install-recovery.sh does this, everytime the hash mismatches, aka you changed it)

Somehow it didn't barf mine. And a few others. It seems to be hit and miss.

If I had to speculate...
There are two possible ways for a user to not lose exploit access in the recovery kernel when going from V9 to VC.

1) If using LG Updater, make sure /system/etc/install-recovery.sh is deleted. VC does not install this, or didn't on mine.
2) DO NOT BOOT INTO STOCK. Once your radio is updated, and the Sprint logo appears, pull the battery and reboot into recovery. Perhaps it did not overwrite your recovery yet.

However, if in the off chance the user happens to pull the battery while its flashing recovery, it may corrupt it. This is a LG design flaw and could happen on stock too.

Last edited:

uberjam545

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
man right when i think i understand how my phone works i start hearing about radios and now this? Guess theres alot more to it then i thought

swg0101

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Hey zefie, for your two speculations:

1) If using LG Updater, make sure /system/etc/install-recovery.sh is deleted. VC does not install this, or didn't on mine.
My v8/v9 stock did not even have this file installed, so I guess that's not it?

2) DO NOT BOOT INTO STOCK. Once your radio is updated, and the Sprint logo appears, pull the battery and reboot into recovery. Perhaps it did not overwrite your recovery yet.
I did boot into stock, and it gave me weird low space errors... But I managed to still have my custom recovery... :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress