[Custom Recovery] Xionia Clockwork (CWMA v1.2518.6)

8616v

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
had a problem that was self induced. thought i had a brick for sure.
while installing instead of extracting the .rar recovery file i just changed the extension to .img ...i know... as soon it rebooted i realized my idiocy.
so after a couple hours of deciding to go to the spring store and seaching around i found some stuff...

not sure what i did but...i got it to boot and i still have root....

i was reading thru some stuff here and found a similar problem...
tried an alternate method to boot into recovery
volume_up + home + power and released and pressed volume_down when the lg splash went a way... nothing happened for a couple min but i could tell it was still powered on. removed the battery and cable and tried the same thing again...this time it went straight to the sprint splash after the lg splash and booted normally...

i'm gonnafinish the recovery install properly and try and find an answer as to what i did...

sd_matto

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Making recovery available for Optimus V?

Just curious if that is in your plan.

If not, I would love to pick up with your open source, and make the necessary tweaks (i.e., change back and menu keys; change stock kernel) to make your recovery work with my brand spanking new Optimus V (Virgin Mobile).

Please let me know.

NicksOptimus

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Just repeating someone's Q from the first page:

What is the difference between this recovery and ThunderC recovery?

Also, do I have to reinstall my NRom or this will still boot without a problem?

shortyjacobs

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Just repeating someone's Q from the first page:

What is the difference between this recovery and ThunderC recovery?

Also, do I have to reinstall my NRom or this will still boot without a problem?

This one seems to have a bunch more options and more features, (like radio.img flashing protection and not bricking the phone if you use the LG/Sprint Factory Reset option).

You won't have to reinstall anything after putting this recovery on.

Reactions: NicksOptimus

NicksOptimus

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
This one seems to have a bunch more options and more features, (like radio.img flashing protection and not bricking the phone if you use the LG/Sprint Factory Reset option).

You won't have to reinstall anything after putting this recovery on.

Thanks. So I just download and extract the necessary files to the root of my SD and do everything from the Terminal Emulator on my phone and don't need my PC, right?

EDIT: Got the new recovery working. Double thanks.

Last edited:

MaXXimus

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting the following error in ADB while trying to install this recovery:

Error writing recovery: No space left on device

It happens at # flash_image recovery /sdcard/xionia_cwma_12518.4.img

I tried to boot into recovery and I'm stuck at the LG splash. :confused: Going to battery pull and hopefully recover. If anyone else experienced this let me know. Device has plenty of available memory.

**UPDATE Okay, so I was able to do a full reboot after a battery pull. Relaunched ADB shell and started again from scratch and it worked this time. Not sure what happened. :-\

Last edited:

xtacocorex

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Not sure of the Fix Boot Loop is working zefie in 12518.4, both phones of mine still get stuck if running off the battery only.

If they are hooked to the computer, powered down, sit for a couple of minutes the phones boot right up. I'm trying to think of what would be different when it's hooked up on the UBS? Haven't tried it yet with the regular AC adapter.

Is the default action for that wipe to not display output to the screen, have the screen go black, and then reboot?

I also noticed that when going to wipe dalvik it came up with an error that a partition was missing /dev/block/mmcblk0p2. Does this have something to do with CyanogenMod or the /dalvik-cache to /cache mod?

MaXXimus

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I also noticed that when going to wipe dalvik it came up with an error that a partition was missing /dev/block/mmcblk0p2. Does this have something to do with CyanogenMod or the /dalvik-cache to /cache mod?

I just tried this out and got an error too but right under the error it said that the dalvik cache was cleared.

Swyped from my LS670 using Tapatalk

O.a.T.

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
If they are hooked to the computer, powered down, sit for a couple of minutes the phones boot right up. I'm trying to think of what would be different when it's hooked up on the UBS? Haven't tried it yet with the regular AC adapter.

I would like to know this too, both the "hooked up on USB" and "with the regular AC adapter".

xtacocorex

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Decided to test an LG Factory Wipe from recovery to see if it would fix some issues.

I did have the Xionia Kernel installed when I ran it. I am now stuck at the stock "Android" loading screen.

Steps to recreate:
1 - Select LG Factory Wipe
- Wipe says it is clearing data and cache (does this quickly)
- Phone reboots with all your settings
2 - Power off phone (no reboot)
3 - Long Press Power button until LG Logo
- Recovery goes straight to the LG Factory Wipe
- Clears data, cache, and then performs factory reset
4 - Phone reboots and is stuck in animation boot-loop

Linked a logcat for you, one thing I did notice when I ran it initially was a Fatal Exception in the Power Sequence step.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1172218/xtacocorex_logcat_02162011.txt

Last edited:

zefie

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Not sure of the Fix Boot Loop is working zefie in 12518.4, both phones of mine still get stuck if running off the battery only.

Is the default action for that wipe to not display output to the screen, have the screen go black, and then reboot?

Here is what Fix Boot Loop attemps to do

1) Wipe /dev/mtd/mtd7 (bootloader cmds, this tells it to boot-recovery, update-radio, or blank for standard boot)
2) Wipe /dev/mtd/mtd8 (lge bootloader cmds, these are LGE cmds used for Factory Reset (FACT_RESET_3 tells it to wipe, FACT_RESET_6 is what it sets to when its done, no idea what that does. CWMA reads mtd8 and passes control to LGE Recovery if we see FACT_RESET_3, which is how we now support true Factory Reset. lol).
3) Reboot.

It will not fix:
Broken boot partition
Broken /system partition
anything else really lol

Thats not to say I'm discarding your issue. No, in fact I'm intrigued by it.

If you can reproduce this, trigger it again, use the Fix Boot Loop option, then when it reloads recovery run these cmds:

adb shell strings /dev/mtd/mtd7
adb shell strings /dev/mtd/mtd8

As for you running LG Factory Reset, this was not tested on CM7. I do not know what part of the reset process rewrites FACT_RESET_3 but it is NOT the bootloader. Even on ThunderROM, nROM or VCRom you need to wait for the system to boot to the "Welcome to LS670" screen before it will disable the flag and let you boot into recovery again. I don't really have a way to reset it manually unless I can somehow intercept the reboot cmd LGE Recovery issues after it wipes.

You are not bricked though but at this point you have to race against time.
When you reboot recovery and Xionia CWMA passes it to LGE Recovery, because it still sees FACT_RESET_3, quicky attempt to run this command: (copy and paste the whole line)

adb shell flash_eraseall /dev/mtd/mtd8; adb reboot recovery

If you are successful you should be able to boot back into recovery.
Then you will have to go back to VCRom, ThundeROM, or nROM because LGE Factory Reset erases provisioning, and we cannot provision in CM7.

Last edited:

xtacocorex

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site

1) Wipe /dev/mtd/mtd7 (bootloader cmds, this tells it to boot-recovery, update-radio, or blank for standard boot)
2) Wipe /dev/mtd/mtd8 (lge bootloader cmds, these are LGE cmds used for Factory Reset (FACT_RESET_3 tells it to wipe, FACT_RESET_6 is what it sets to when its done, no idea what that does. CWMA reads mtd8 and passes control to LGE Recovery if we see FACT_RESET_3, which is how we now support true Factory Reset. lol).
3) Reboot.

It will not fix:
Broken boot partition
Broken /system partition
anything else really lol

If you can reproduce this, trigger it again, use the Fix Boot Loop option, then when it reloads recovery run these cmds:

When I can get back into the phone, I'll test this out. Think I'm going to have to run the force flash stuff in that other thread back to VC unless you have any other options. I knew I shouldn't have hit the LG Factory Wipe, but it was for the sake of science.

Gotta run to work, if I get time, I'll check in here to see updates, otherwise it won't be until tonight when I can get back online.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Then you will have to go back to VCRom, ThundeROM, or nROM because LGE Factory Reset erases provisioning, and we cannot provision in CM7.
Curious, is LGE Factory Reset performing the same operations as ##786# reset (from the dialer)?

tmeader

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Okay, trying to flash this recovery (already running the previous custom recovery) I seem to be stuck. The first time, I went through the instructions, and accidentally put "yaffs" instead of "yaffs2" in for the first line. Everything seemed to go fine until the the last line to flash the recovery, at which point it came up with a ton of "insufficient memory". So, I scrolled up and saw the error, and just started fresh from the beginning... this time typing everything properly (Terminal App). Seemed to all complete fine, but after "reboot recovery", it seems hung at the LG logo.

Any ideas how to fix this??

xtacocorex

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site

3) Reboot.

It will not fix:
Broken boot partition
Broken /system partition
anything else really lol

As for you running LG Factory Reset, this was not tested on CM7. I do not know what part of the reset process rewrites FACT_RESET_3 but it is NOT the bootloader. Even on ThunderROM, nROM or VCRom you need to wait for the system to boot to the "Welcome to LS670" screen before it will disable the flag and let you boot into recovery again. I don't really have a way to reset it manually unless I can somehow intercept the reboot cmd LGE Recovery issues after it wipes.

You are not bricked though but at this point you have to race against time.
When you reboot recovery and Xionia CWMA passes it to LGE Recovery, because it still sees FACT_RESET_3, quicky attempt to run this command: (copy and paste the whole line)

adb shell flash_eraseall /dev/mtd/mtd8; adb reboot recovery

If you are successful you should be able to boot back into recovery.

So I tried this out and it failed, I did forget to mention a key piece of data: the phone, when I get it to boot to recovery, starts the LG Wipe. I am not running CM7, just the CWMA recovery, I installed the Xionia kernel.

I have lost my root on the system.

I have tried, when it starts doing the LG Wipe, to run the adb commands you gave, but I get the following error:

$ ./adb shell flash_eraseall /dev/mtd/mtd8; ./adb reboot recovery
error: protocol fault (no status)
error: device not found

I'm a huge winner.

EDIT:
BACK IN MY PHONE! Woo!

Force flash VC update with KP500 Utilities. Maybe that fixed the not powering on shizzle that was happening.

That sucked and now I'm really wary of rooting again.

EDIT 2:
Not out of the woods yet, first power off and then power on hung trying to get into recovery. Used adb and I still have CWMA recovery, interesting, but I guess the updater doesn't touch the recovery partition.

Going to try what you suggested now zefie.

Last edited: