To overclock or not to overclock - that is the question

timkaetzel

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
So, I switched over to CyanogenMod from ThundeROM 1.6.2 with the preset overclock at ~750.

We won't be getting new phones until almost 2 years from now, and I already accidentally set off the water indicator on the battery (and I'm assuming the internal ones, also).

Basically, my question is, for long-term usage, what would a safe setting be? My phone ran perfectly stable on ThundeROM's overclock, but I don't know what kind of long-term harm I may be doing. I fully intend on temporarily overclocking when I need to, but I'm talking as a default. Thanks. :)

bigmikehwt

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Every phone is diffrent mine can only handle 748mhz and be stable I have heared that others can handle over 800mhz and be stable. but as to long term damage I am not sure I had my hero OCed for the year I used it and never noticed a difference in the way it ran. I hope this helps.

dbeckwit

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Every phone is diffrent mine can only handle 748mhz and be stable I have heared that others can handle over 800mhz and be stable. but as to long term damage I am not sure I had my hero OCed for the year I used it and never noticed a difference in the way it ran. I hope this helps.

Mine is the same way, in only handling up to 748mhz. If you want to overclock but stay safe, i'd suggest just bumping up to 729mhz. When you do overclock, take it slow and i'd go up one setting at a time. Use for a bit, and see how stable it is vs. performance in your opinion. You will find the level that your phone can go up to fairly quickly, because once its on an unstable setting, it will start to randomly reboot. (safety precaution)

linkfieldt

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm no expert on phone CPU's, but I do have a few years experience with PC overclocking. Overclocking itself does nothing to harm your CPU. The problem lies in heat dissipation. We are not manipulating the voltage supplied to the CPU, so there is very little increase in heat output. I therefore think it is very safe to OC.

timkaetzel

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
My phone runs perfectly stable at 748, but I didn't know if leaving it there would significantly shorten the lifespan (I need it to last 2 years). Link, it looks like you've answered my question. :)

ToddShroats

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I have mine set to 768mhz and is OK, but after prolonged use it will get up to 100 degrees. I think that is to much and I have the app set to auto throttle back when it reaches about 91degrees. Haven't had any issues with the phone only gets to hot to hold.

Boilingpoint

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
This may help some of you. All CPUs are the same in a model series the manufacturing process is prone to flaws. So that is why you see triple core processors its a quad with one bad core. Well this is true for speed to and is the reason why some people's phones can oc faster than others. Hope that helps

cordell

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Mine will OC to 864 and it is just as stable as 600. I do not run it that high though, after 844 there is not much improvement, my guess it is bottle-necking. Point is even though I can OC 864, I dont. CPU's change over time and heat will cause the CPU to burn out faster, since we are OC but NOT undervolted we generate more heat at high clocks. I run my phone at 806 max, I dont think it even needs to even be that high, 768 is just as good, unless benchmarking. If you plan to keep and use the phone heavy for 2 years try a lower clock, when you want that extra boost for a certain game or benchmark, kick it up to 806 or wherever you can. :) Take care of your phone and it will last the 2 years you need it too!

what is 1143 quardrant? My phone is stable at 768 but get very hot. What temperature is safe on the phone?

Quadrant is a app that is supposed to measure the phones ability. The app is flawed and provides false results when stagefright is enabled, thats why we see our phones ranked up their with the Evo and such. Without stagefright we get a more accurate reading, 570-600's on the high end. Still a good number for the cost of the Optimus phone. As of right now this phone does most everything a higher end phone can/will do, besides some of the higher end games. As far as your phone getting really hot, what is the min set to? Most keep that setting at 245, if you dont allow the CPU to drop to a lower setting when it can, then it will get hot fast! Also try interactive for the governor :)

Last edited:

ToddShroats

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I have the min set to 480 when using the phone and set to 122 when charging. I used the gps on Friday for about an hour and when I check the phone it was at 105 degrees. I have the temp setting at 93 degrees to drop back to 600mhz, but the phone still got over 100. Is that normal when using gps and is it do to over clocking or the gps?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac