davidtt485

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
So I was rooted, back when thunder was the first rom out and i installed that, well lately i was getting the ota update box and it was annoying. I than downloaded the lg update tool and did that update with 0 issues, no freezing everything went perfect. So now phone is vc, but i am not rooted anymore and my custom recovery is still there.... can i just flash new roms like i would like to, or do i have to be rooted and do i have to do the whole revert process.

Another issue, i bought my girlfriend a brand new optimus s and did the lg update right from the start, it will not root, after running rageagainstthecage, it never reconnects, everytime i adb shell, it says device not found....

neither phones are bricked or anything both work okay, but i miss the faster speed.

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
So I was rooted, back when thunder was the first rom out and i installed that, well lately i was getting the ota update box and it was annoying. I than downloaded the lg update tool and did that update with 0 issues, no freezing everything went perfect. So now phone is vc, but i am not rooted anymore and my custom recovery is still there.... can i just flash new roms like i would like to, or do i have to be rooted and do i have to do the whole revert process.

Another issue, i bought my girlfriend a brand new optimus s and did the lg update right from the start, it will not root, after running rageagainstthecage, it never reconnects, everytime i adb shell, it says device not found....

neither phones are bricked or anything both work okay, but i miss the faster speed.

EDIT: Just a suggestion: you should rename the title of the thread to something more meaningful. Those with similar issues aren't going to search for "Weird ?". I'm no moderator, but KSmithInNY will probably say something about this if you don't rename it.

There are 2 separate issues here.

Issue 1: You updated to VC with a custom recovery. That was a bad idea. Now you get to revert to V9, root, install stock recovery, then update again.

Issue 2: You sure you used the LG tool on your girl's phone? Also, you WERE trying to root in recovery mode, right? Cause rooting VC is impossible for now while in regular Android mode.

davidtt485

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
1st issue sucks but w/e ill deal with it...

2nd issue i used the cmd.exe and the first step i did was adb reboot recovery... than update.zip which failed...status 7 i believe....

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Sounds like drew is well on the way to getting the phones straight but as mentioned above, please use appropriate titles for your posts. If someone in the future has the same problem or similar question, it's very unlikely they will use the search term "weird" meaning any info posted in here is lost.

Thanks in advance.

davidtt485

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
sorry about the title, but there is an issue, how do i put the stock recovery back on when im not rooted, and if i try to root, it will brick...?? i looked in the stickies.. and will continue to seach

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
sorry about the title, but there is an issue, how do i put the stock recovery back on when im not rooted, and if i try to root, it will brick...?? i looked in the stickies.. and will continue to seach

You talking about the first phone? It's running VC right? Confirm both those questions.

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
1st issue sucks but w/e ill deal with it...

2nd issue i used the cmd.exe and the first step i did was adb reboot recovery... than update.zip which failed...status 7 i believe....

Okay, then we'll deal with issue 2 here.

The update.zip failure is expected behavior and is used to trick the recovery kernel into mounting the /system partition.

Are you ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN this phone hasn't been updated the OTA way?

davidtt485

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
on my phone the first one, yes it is running vc according to the phone status in settings, as well as the lg updater completeing no issues... it has the custom recovery working fine, and no root status as well as no super user app...

the second phone hers, i know the failing was on purpose, but it says it will reconnect and the phone never does, and im 100 percent sure it has never had ota because we took it home from bestbuy and did the lg update right away, if need be i can reflash that one all the way back to v9 and start again, i just want these both to be done, the first time i rooted my phone no issue and everything went fine. I also had a rooted hero which i loved too. i have always used cmd and adb.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Im gonna let you and drew sort out phone number 2 so this is only dealing with phone number 1 which used to be rooted, has a custom recovery, and is running VC.

1) Double check you have VC baseband
2) If yes, download ThundeROM 1.7
3) Put it on the root of your SD card
4) Go into recovery by turning phone off, while phone is off press and hold the home key, the volume down key, and the power key, do not let go of any of those 3 keys until you're in recovery.
5) Flash ThundeROM 1.7. ThundeROM this will root your phone for you. All you need is a custom recovery. The ROM is pre-rooted.

If you Dont have a custom recovery, this wont work. If you arent on VC baseband, this wont work.

Ok now 1 phone is down, worry about the other.

davidtt485

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
okay i am going to take care of phone 1 in about ten minutes thanks for the help, phone #2 has to wait till tonight... but i think it should be easier because it is still stock recovery and what not.

davidtt485

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
phone 1 works perfectly thanks guys, now my only question is if i want to swap roms are there limits?? or should i flash back to v9 and start from scratch??

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
There are not really limits, but do make sure the ROM you are flashing is based on VC. Or you could just flash zefie's amazing CM7 port which has been reported to work with both V9 and VC radio/baseband.

jeffreynothing43

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Im gonna let you and drew sort out phone number 2 so this is only dealing with phone number 1 which used to be rooted, has a custom recovery, and is running VC.

4) Go into recovery by turning phone off, while phone is off press and hold the home key, the volume down key, and the power key, do not let go of any of those 3 keys until you're in recovery.
5) Flash ThundeROM 1.7. ThundeROM this will root your phone for you. All you need is a custom recovery. The ROM is pre-rooted.

If you Dont have a custom recovery, this wont work. If you arent on VC baseband, this wont work.

Ksmith,

This is what I've been wondering about all day. I'm running TR 1.6... Can I just use the LG Update Tool, go into recovery and nandroid back to 1.6 or flash 1.7? I don't understand why there are such in depth threads about getting from to VC if all you need to do is run it on your computer then go into recovery mode and flash TR. Please explain.

Bone_Enterprise

Nov 12, 2010
www.digital-ops.net
Dude jeffreynothing43 stick with ONE thread for your question, you always make it impossible for people to help you when you post the same question in multiple threads, this is a common habit of yours, of which you need to break if you want to get proper help from people here, just a suggestion.

As this is a THUNDEROM related question you need to stick with that thread people are replying to you there.

davidtt485

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
THANK

thanks for all the help phone #1 is going strong and i flashed a nice theme for it... really wish aps2sd worked better with the optimus s but it is what it is

jeffreynothing43

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Dude jeffreynothing43 stick with ONE thread for your question, you always make it impossible for people to help you when you post the same question in multiple threads, this is a common habit of yours, of which you need to break if you want to get proper help from people here, just a suggestion.

As this is a THUNDEROM related question you need to stick with that thread people are replying to you there.

I understand what you are saying...but KSmith's entry was directly related to what I was asking. Seems like a lot of ppl are having different results. I don't really understand which is the correct or best way to go about the update and maintaining root. TR is secondary...

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

Anyone reading this--while ALL steps should be followed exactly, please pay special attention to Step 4! You have to get very mad and push those buttons simultaneously and apply a lot of pressure and hold them there. I failed the first two tries because I didn't hold the buttons down hard enough and long enough. I can't stress enough...read, read, read...and then read some more :D