LG Logo Brick/Hang (particularly after a VC update) possible fix(es)...

junkshow

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Quick poll again (sorry if everyone here said it in the TR thread already, but just to clarify): what recovery is everyone with this issue running? CWM or Thunder-c?

Personally, I'm on CWM xxx.4 currently.

I have experienced the LG logo brick with the following: LG stock V9, LG stock VC, GNM1.1, GNM1.2, CWM .1, .2, and .4

For that reason, I am completely convinced that it has nothing whatsoever to do with the recovery.

dafluke24

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Just a update. Sprint replaced my phone. It was funny to see 4 of them try to perform a hard reset by holding power, vol down and voice button. They tried every combo of buttons from their internal troubleshooting guide. I was even reading what they were doing LOL They finally decided it was toast and replaced it. Now i'm on VC and not sure if they did it OTA or through the LG tool.

DCJoe

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I have experienced the LG logo brick with the following: LG stock V9, LG stock VC, GNM1.1, GNM1.2, CWM .1, .2, and .4

For that reason, I am completely convinced that it has nothing whatsoever to do with the recovery.

Wait, you experienced it on LG stock VC recovery, meaning from the OTA update? So on a completely stock phone? That's crazy, it implies that there is definitely something wrong that Sprint changed in VC that is causing this problem.

kazea182

Jan 2, 2011
www.sxcomputers.net
Wait, you experienced it on LG stock VC recovery, meaning from the OTA update? So on a completely stock phone? That's crazy, it implies that there is definitely something wrong that Sprint changed in VC that is causing this problem.
I can partially confirm this, as I had went to complete stock V8, upgraded to V9, then to VC. Rooted my VC, installed custom recovery, got the LG Logo brick, was able to adb in recovery and go back to complete stock V8 again, then V9, then VC (Via OTA update) and still had the LG logo brick. I took my phone in to sprint and got a replacement on V9. I'm not updating to VC until we know a surefire cure...

kazea182

Jan 2, 2011
www.sxcomputers.net
I am curious, would the command in Xionia Recovery, Mounts and Storage -> Format boot resolve the issue? If the issue is really in the boot section of the device? (Don't do it till we have confirmation from one of the devs, i'd be afraid it may brick the device even worse.)

Last edited:

dafluke24

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
If the phone is powered up and working fine, then rebooting the phone "warm" (from Quick Boot->Reboot) or "adb reboot" it works fine. However, if the phone is completely powered off, then upon turning it back on, the phone never gets past the LG Logo. Doing the procedure described in this topic allows me (and others it seems) to get past the LG Logo and boot the phone properly.

yep, this is what I experienced too after going to VC. Quick boot -->reboot works fine. No hangups. I hadn't powered off the phone since I flashed to TR 1.7 (2 days ago). This morning my phone turned off because battery was at 0%.

1. I plugged in the charger and the LG logo turned on without me even hitting power button and it just hung there.
2. I figured it was because there wasn't enough juice in the battery, so I let it charge for 30 mins.
3. Pulled battery, reinserted, turned on, and still got LG screen.
4. Tried the method in first post. Saw the "insert battery" message and inserted battery. Still stuck on LG screen.
5. Tried to boot into recovery since I could see the LG screen come up, but it never did (I'm using Thunder-C recovery)
6. Left battery out for 10-15mins and then tried booting into recovery again. Must have slipped a button somehow, but the phone started up normally. Thought I was in the clear.
7. Stupid me was too stubborn to let it go and move on, so I rebooted (quickboot) --> booted fine again.
8. Turned off phone using quick boot and tried to turn on --> stuck on LG screen again
9. Since then never got it to boot up or into recovery.

So now I'm stuck with a replacement optimus on VC that I'm pretty sure was done OTA, so I'm SOL for rooting and custom roms now.

I miss TR already. :'(

kazea182

Jan 2, 2011
www.sxcomputers.net
yep, this is what I experienced too after going to VC. Quick boot -->reboot works fine. No hangups. I hadn't powered off the phone since I flashed to TR 1.7 (2 days ago). This morning my phone turned off because battery was at 0%.

1. I plugged in the charger and the LG logo turned on without me even hitting power button and it just hung there.
2. I figured it was because there wasn't enough juice in the battery, so I let it charge for 30 mins.
3. Pulled battery, reinserted, turned on, and still got LG screen.
4. Tried the method in first post. Saw the "insert battery" message and inserted battery. Still stuck on LG screen.
5. Tried to boot into recovery since I could see the LG screen come up, but it never did (I'm using Thunder-C recovery)
6. Left battery out for 10-15mins and then tried booting into recovery again. Must have slipped a button somehow, but the phone started up normally. Thought I was in the clear.
7. Stupid me was too stubborn to let it go and move on, so I rebooted (quickboot) --> booted fine again.
8. Turned off phone using quick boot and tried to turn on --> stuck on LG screen again
9. Since then never got it to boot up or into recovery.

So now I'm stuck with a replacement optimus on VC that I'm pretty sure was done OTA, so I'm SOL for rooting and custom roms now.

I miss TR already. :'(
You can always force flash V9 and then go from there? But you won't be able to go back to rootable VC from a refurb Optimus, they block that ability.

dafluke24

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
You can always force flash V9 and then go from there? But you won't be able to go back to rootable VC from a refurb Optimus, they block that ability.

Yea I read up on force flashing. Not sure if I want to go through that process right now. Kind of bummed since I don't know what I did wrong. I'm the type who reads and reads multiple times before actually doing it. I knew the risks of rooting and flashing roms and don't have anyone to blame but myself. I could have stayed on V9 and TR 1.6 since I really didn't have any problems with that. I just like to push things to the limits and this time, the limits won lol Oh well, lesson learned. Can't go back and undo it, so just gotta hope the next time I root/flash, all goes well. Well, for at least longer than the 2 days I had VC and TR 1.7 :cool:

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I don't think they purposely blocked it. I'm guessing the new MEIDs assigned to the refurbs are not properly entered into LGs database.

Anyway, even with a refurb, you can still go back to a rootable VC by reverting to V9, installing the stock V9 recovery image, then force flashing VC using KP500.

tmeader

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
To everyone else also having this issue, out of curiosity, are you able to update the Profile and PRL on your phone without any problems? I noticed again just now that KSmithInNY made a point of stating that 1.7 allows you to update those properly... hasn't been my experience. They both just always timeout. Thanks.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

O.a.T.

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
I don't think they purposely blocked it. I'm guessing the new MEIDs assigned to the refurbs are not properly entered into LGs database.

Anyway, even with a refurb, you can still go back to a rootable VC by reverting to V9, installing the stock V9 recovery image, then force flashing VC using KP500.

Hmmm? I asked about a variant of this a couple of days back on another thread, and someone said this caused a brick. Would really like to know if this works.

Edit: Nothing standard, as usual, but for some this does not work.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/645868-post29.html

http://forum.androidcentral.com/645910-post30.html

Last edited:

DCJoe

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm? I asked about this a couple of days back on another thread, and someone said this caused a brick. Would really like to know if this works.

In sense that I was able to get to a rooted VC, the process worked. But I did get to a "bricked" (really just stuck) LG Logo phone. I think it is inherent to my phone, not the process. Force flashing works for some people, as evidenced by the thread about flashing straight to VC from rooted V9. But I think something in VC (not the flashing process) is causing the bricks. Some people have had bricks even without any force flashing.

O.a.T.

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
In sense that I was able to get to a rooted VC, the process worked. But I did get to a "bricked" (really just stuck) LG Logo phone. I think it is inherent to my phone, not the process. Force flashing works for some people, as evidenced by the thread about flashing straight to VC from rooted V9. But I think something in VC (not the flashing process) is causing the bricks. Some people have had bricks even without any force flashing.

Thanks for the clarification on brick. Neither do I consider the "LG Logo Brick" a real brick since there are many techniques around it. At this point I just don't consider the hoops one has to go through to get past it worth it if you shut the phone down, since I have none of these problems on my forced flash V9 and my own custom ROM.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm? I asked about a variant of this a couple of days back on another thread, and someone said this caused a brick. Would really like to know if this works.

So basically KP500 and LG Software Updater are front-ends to the flashing tool that do the same thing, set up the flashing tool with the right parameters and cab file to do the flash.

KP500 gets the parameters and cab file from what you provide it.

LG Software Updater queries the LG website and downloads the cab file from there.

In both cases, we are using the same cab file.

Essentially the difference becomes whether you have LG Software Updater determine if a cab file is available and download it for you, or you download the cab file yourself, and tell the flashing tool to use it. The flashing instructions contained in the cab file are the same in both cases.

So whatever flashing end-result could happen with a KP500 force flash of VC could have happened with LG Software Updater flash of VC.

DCJoe

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the clarification on brick. Neither do I consider the "LG Logo Brick" a real brick since there are many techniques around it. At this point I just don't consider the hoops one has to go through to get past it worth it if you shut the phone down, since I have none of these problems on my forced flash V9 and my own custom ROM.

Exactly right, that's why I am on V9 with Lego right now. That's also why I know there is nothing inherently wrong with my phone, or the ROM, or the custom recovery (both drelisdee's and CWM Xionia work fine when I am on V9). It is something, probably in the init bootloader, of the VC OS which causes the phone to stick on the LG Logo. That's why those on different recoveries, and different methods of getting to VC (OTA, LG Mobile tool directly, and KP500 to Mobile tool) have all had the phone stick. The weird thing is why it manifests itself on some phones and not on others. But I don't really care that much about that- I just care about trying to figure out what exactly is going wrong and fixing it. I just don't have the requisite knowledge to figure it out.

O.a.T.

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Exactly right, that's why I am on V9 with Lego right now. That's also why I know there is nothing inherently wrong with my phone, or the ROM, or the custom recovery (both drelisdee's and CWM Xionia work fine when I am on V9). It is something, probably in the init bootloader, of the VC OS which causes the phone to stick on the LG Logo. That's why those on different recoveries, and different methods of getting to VC (OTA, LG Mobile tool directly, and KP500 to Mobile tool) have all had the phone stick. The weird thing is why it manifests itself on some phones and not on others. But I don't really care that much about that- I just care about trying to figure out what exactly is going wrong and fixing it. I just don't have the requisite knowledge to figure it out.

I've come to the conclusion, although hard to believe/accept, that because of the variances you mentioned above and because some do and some don't get stuck, that there is some inherent defect/difference in the phones that in conjunction with the VC update (i.e., the init bootloader) is causing "The Stick" (on some). Maybe a high acceptance rate of phones because of large tolerances is the price to pay for a low/zero cost, mid-range capability phone?

Last edited:

DCJoe

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I've come to the conclusion, although hard to believe/accept, that because of the variances you mentioned above and because some do and some don't get stuck, that there is some inherent defect/difference in the phones that in conjunction with the VC update (i.e., the init bootloader) is causing "The Stick" (on some). Maybe a high acceptance rate of phones because of large tolerances is the price to pay for a low/zero cost, mid-range capability phone?

That sounds about right to me. But I know it isn't an insurmountable problem, because when I was running CM7 beta, I never got stuck on the LG Logo. If we can figure out a way to identify the changes in the bootloader or the init (from what Zefie said earlier, technically init is the first part of the kernel that is loaded after the bootloader figures out what to load, either regular OS or recovery) that were made between V9 and VC, that might lead us to the cause. Maybe it is a call to load something that causes a brief surge of more power than the those at the edges of the tolerance can handle. That would seem to be the most likely thing, at least to me.

I have a solid computing background and basic programming background, so I understand, generally, how all of these work at a high level. I just don't have the in-depth Android/Linux/OS background to dive into the code.

neurolizer

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I seem to be having the same issue that dafluke24 was having, where I can't get my Optimus S past the LG boot screen, even when doing the battery trick mentioned at the start of this thread.

I recently bought my phone on eBay since the Moment I had was eaten by a dog. When I received the phone, it already had VC on it, so I followed one of the sticky thread instructions to put it back to stock V8, then to V9, then VC using the LG updater, then I rooted using adb, then installed custom recovery thunderc 1.1.0, then ThundeROM V1.7.

I used the phone for at least two days without any problems (although I can't remember if I actually turned it off during that time). Then I turned the phone off with the power button, put in a new higher capacity microSD card, and when I turned it back on, it was stuck at the LG logo.

It took me a few days to find this thread because I originally thought it was the microSD card that caused the problem, but it is sounding a lot like that may have been a coincidence (I have tried putting back in the original microSD with the same results).

If anyone has any advice or suggestions, I'd be happy to experiment with my phone. I also have another Optimus S (with a bad ESN that my gf unknowingly bought on Craigslist), which is still at VC9 with thunderc and ThunderROM V1.6.2.

On a side note, does anyone know if Sprint will replace my Optimus that is stuck at the LG boot screen, even though I bought it on eBay?

autoprime#AC

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
darn.. i came here hoping this was solved but it seems like its not. i too am getting the "lg brick". trying the remove battery trick does nothing for me.

the only way i can fix this is putting the phone into emergency mode and using LGNPST 1.2 and the ls670 .tot file to restore to v8. takes 15-20 min to reflash. after the flash and boot up, the phone will get no service. use the pst to now flash the latest .PRL file.. you will now have service again.. be back on v8 and will soon have the option to update to v9 OTA. then once again i must use the lg updater tool to get to vc. about an hour process from emergency flash to working again.. bit of a pain.. this is my 4th time doing the process.

also... for those with refurbs that will not work with the lg updater tool because your meid is not in the database... see my post here http://forum.androidcentral.com/661826-post50.html

if you have basic knowledge of cdma ws and qxdm then this is a 2min fix.

anyone have any other ideas on how to fix this other than the battery trick and reflashing via emergency mode?