[How-to] Revert to LS670V9, after installing OTA LS670VC/VD, using KP500 (Diag mode)

TucsonDirect

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
It was suggested I move this post into its own thread so questions could be consolidated. Also there was occasional confusion over the difference between running KP500 from the Unbrick thread and what is described in this post. This post configures KP500 to flash in Diag mode which is the normal way to flash a phone that is working. In particular it is how the LG Mobile Support Tool flashes your phone to VC/VD. KP500 in the Unbrick thread flashes in Emergency mode and is most useful when your phone is no longer responding (bricked).

For archive purposes, this post (and associated q&a) was previously on this thread:
Previous revert to V9 using KP500 post

====

Thanks go out to cordell, DCJoe, kingdavidbaker for suggesting this method and working through the procedures, KSmithInNY for comments making this more readable and of course zefie for his unroot procedure and archive of the firmware cabs.

WARNING: If you received a refurbished LS670 from Sprint as a replacement, you might run into troubles trying to use the LG Mobile Support Tool to update to VC/VD. See this post for details on how to tell if you are affected by this problem. You can still revert to V9 and root. However if your refurbished unit is affected by this problem you will NOT be able to upgrade to the VC/VD using the LG Mobile Support Tool. You will need to force flash VC/VD using KP500. Instructions for how to do force flash VC/VD are in the reference section of this post.

WARNING #2: If you recently received a LS670 from Sprint which came with VC/VD from the factory, then there is a possibility you have a newer hardware revision with different LCD hardware. Since only VC/VD have the drivers for this new LCD hardware, if you revert to V9, your display will be blank. The phone is still functional (as in it boots into android and you can still operate the phone, just with no visual feedback). Don't worry, worse case, just use KP500 to flash back to VC/VD and you'll be back to normal. However if you've come this far, you might as well get root by performing the critical function of manually installing a custom recovery (or the stock V9 recovery) even without the display being functional, after which you can upgrade to a VC/VD-based ROM and get your display back. You can also install Android Screencast to view your screen on your PC. See this post for more details (will be updated as more information becomes available).

High level summary
1) Install the LG Mobile Support Tool (link to LG Mobile Support Tool) - the KP500 tool referenced below uses this to write the firmware to your phone
2) Force flash the V9 firmware using the KP500 tool (see below)
3) Root your phone, install Xionia CWMA custom recovery, and update to LS670ZVD. Directions here (Part 2, skip the first step).
If you are an advanced user, you can skip some steps and do the alternate procedure in the reference section.

Details for how to Force Flash V9 using KP500
(BACKUP your app data if you care about it, the following assumes you already installed USB drivers for your phone to get adb working)
a) make sure you have at least 600MB free on the drive containing your windows installation, specifically the drive that contains Documents and Settings (or ProgramData on Vista)
b) disable standby, hibernate, and any screensavers
c) make sure your phone is fully charged
d) turn on USB debugging mode on your phone

e) download the KP500 tool zip file and unzip to your C: drive (attached, windows utility, tested in WinXP, Vista, Win7(XP-compatible mode/disable signed drivers))
You should have a folder

f) download the V9 cab file from zefie's archive below (LS670ZV9_20.S9_20.P60671.cab) (Alternate download) and place in same folder/directory as (e)

g) open a windows command prompt

h) from command prompt rename LS670ZV9_20.S9_20.P60671.cab as LS670ZV9.cab

The output of the above "dir" command should look like this:
(make sure you have at least these 5 files, one file is named LS670ZV9.cab and the file size is 99,220,700)
(if your directory does not look like this, STOP here, figure out why)

i) OPTIONAL: run a checksum on the V9 cab file to verify file integrity (checksum tool link) Unzip the fsum.zip archive and place fsum.exe in the same folder/directory as (e) From your command prompt type

expected checksum - make sure both the checksum (1st column) and filename (2nd column) match

j) connect your phone using USB cable

k) from your command prompt, run the KP500 program/executable

l) choose option J - Flash with assistant (file .cab)
m) when it asks for model # - LS670
n) when it asks for cab file - LS670ZV9.cab
o) when it asks for version - LS670ZV9_20

p) you will see "Loading..." and it should bring up the LG Mobile Support Tool in a separate window
Step 1 - Analysis
if you see this error, then you didn't install the LG Mobile Support Tool

if the LG tool gets stuck at 35% checking the phone model, make sure you are booted into Android and not the Recovery partition.

if the LG tool asks you to restart because it can't connect to the phone ("checking connection with phone") unplug/plugin the phone, then press restart and everything should work fine. (per recent reports #1 #2)

if the LG tool won't recognize your phone no matter what you try, try reinstalling the USB drivers from the LG tool (per recent report)

Step 2 - Download
if the tool aborts and you see this error near the end of the log

then you may have renamed the cab file incorrectly or placed it in the wrong folder/directory, see if this post applies.

q) Step 3 - Update
After the download step (which in reality is just unpacking the cab file we specified, not actually downloading), your phone screen should switch to a red LG Logo with the text "Download is in progress. Do not disconnect cable."

Let it run, do not touch your phone until complete, it'll take around 15 minutes

r) when the update/flash portion is ALMOST complete the phone will reboot and you'll see Android on your screen, this possibly could behave like a first boot, meaning it'll take a while to build everything from scratch, 3 minutes or less. You'll eventually see the Android startup home screen. This may trick you into thinking the flash is done. Don't be tricked. Regardless of whether the LG Mobile Support Tool is at 100% or not, do not touch the phone yet, it still needs to reload your NVRAM items onto the phone. Do NOT touch the phone until it says Completed

s) Step 4 - Complete
once the LG Mobile Support Tool says completed, you should be at the standard android startup screen, congrats, you now have V9 (possibly with a VC or VD recovery partition, which will become Xiona CWMA custom recovery as part of the LS670ZVD rooting process) If you have no intentions of running VC/VD OS/Radio, then you can stop here and stick with V9. z4root.apk will give you one-click root. However if you ever want to get root with the VC/VD OS/Radio, you should continue with the next steps.

t) exit the LG Mobile Support Tool and KP500 (option Q)

u) You MUST have this step (install CWMA or stock V9 recovery) completed if you want to preserve your ability to root. You will NOT have permanent root at the end of this step (because you will lose root when you upgrade to VD). You WILL, however, be set up to have success following the rooting thread instructions. If you don't care about root and just want to run stock V9, you can skip this step completely.

Root your phone, install Xionia CWMA custom recovery, and use LG Mobile Support Tool to install LS670ZVD. Directions here (Part 2, skip the first step). Installing Xionia CWMA custom recovery (or stock V9 recovery, or any custom recovery) will preserve your ability to root after updating to LS670ZVD. Installing LS670ZVD using the LG Mobile Support Tool will get you the latest stock VD Android and VD radio/baseband while keeping your existing CWMA custom recovery. After that you can choose to stick with stock VD Android or update to your favorite VC or VD-based ROM. If you are a more advanced user who doesn't need specific instructions, you can save some steps by jumping to step 2 of the alternate method in the reference section below.

v) re-enable standby, hibernation, and/or screensavers if you need to

Reference:
zefie's archive of v7,v8,v9,vC,vD cab files for Optimus S:
Index of /zefie/files/cell/LGLS670/roms/LGNPST Recovery/cab - Mystic Midnight Files

How-to Unroot thread:
http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-...45403-how-unroot-your-phone-return-stock.html

LG Ally instructions which inspired this solution here:
How-To: Flash Stock LG Rom on LG Ally

Stock V9 Recovery image
http://files.mysticmidnight.net/zefie/files/cell/LGLS670/roms/V9_LG_Stock_Recovery.zip

LG Mobile Support Tool
LG Mobile Support Tool Application Download

File checksum tool
SlavaSoft FSUM - Fast File Integrity Checker

How to root V9 Optimus S thread
http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-optimus-s-rooting-roms-hacks/43108-how-root-lg-optimus-s.html

How to root VC Optimus S thread
http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-...-guide-rooting-software-version-ls670zvc.html

How to root VD Optimus S thread
http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-...-guide-rooting-software-version-ls670zvd.html

V8->V9 update.zip
update.zip

Get rid of update notification
http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-...c-vd-using-kp500-diag-mode-17.html#post770088

z4root one-click root that works with V9 Optimus S (won't work with VC Optimus S)
[APP] z4root - xda-developers

Flash Image tool
Android Forums

Substitute these steps to Force Flash VD
f) download VD cab (LS670ZVD_12.SD_12.P60675.cab) (Alternate download)
h) ren LS670ZVD_12.SD_12.P60675.cab LS670ZVD.cab
i) expected checksum - 6bd5faf21acb951abb7e2c6e8ce39e7d *LS670ZVD.cab
n) cab file - LS670ZVD.cab
o) version - LS670ZVD_12

Substitute these steps to Force Flash VC
f) download VC cab (LS670ZVC_11.SC_11.P60674.cab) (Alternate download)
h) ren LS670ZVC_11.SC_11.P60674.cab LS670ZVC.cab
i) expected checksum - 579bfcf1dc2309dd71580d246c954d7f *LS670ZVC.cab
n) cab file - LS670ZVC.cab
o) version - LS670ZVC_11

Substitute these steps to Force Flash V8
f) download V8 cab (LS670ZV8_23.S8_23.P60671.cab) (Alternate download)
h) ren LS670ZV8_23.S8_23.P60671.cab LS670ZV8.cab
i) expected checksum - cb646c7152cd8e1cdbb2d462534fe89a *LS670ZV8.cab
n) cab file - LS670ZV8.cab
o) version - LS670ZV8_23

Manually flashing Zefie's CWMA Recovery image (requires root)
Zefie's Xionia CWMA Custom Recovery thread

Manually flashing stock V9 Recovery image (requires root)
UNZIP flash_image and stock V9 recovery.img to /sdcard

Alternate REVERT procedure for *advanced users* (these instructions are written at a summary level so you need to know some basic terminology/techniques):
1) Force Flash V9 using the KP500 tool
2) Root using the rageagainstthecage exploit or z4root
3) Manually flash Zefie's Xionia CWMA custom recovery image (see this thread)
4) After installing Xionia CWMA you should be in CWMA Custom Recovery, choose "reboot system now" to get back into Android
5) Use the LG Mobile Support Tool to update to VD
6) From CWMA recovery, wipe cache, dalvik
7) Install your favorite VC/VD-based custom ROM

thought you might want to add to ur orig post located at http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-...ing-ota-ls670vc-vd-using-kp500-diag-mode.html

to prevent the phone From Getting ota Updates when downgraded to V9, Go into ##lgservicemenu>Enter SPC/MSL> Phone Self Service> Click>Choose Edit Change settings to 0.0.0.0 (Proxy)> Port 80>and server to somthing like Google.com Or NoOta.org (any thing of your flavor
THEN press The Mag Glass Button or the Menu Button To Set the Change

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
to prevent the phone From Getting ota Updates when downgraded to V9, Go into ##lgservicemenu>Enter SPC/MSL> Phone Self Service> Click>Choose Edit Change settings to 0.0.0.0 (Proxy)> Port 80>and server to somthing like Google.com Or NoOta.org (any thing of your flavor
THEN press The Mag Glass Button or the Menu Button To Set the Change
Are you using Optimus S or another similar model?

Couldn't find that option under the menu you mentioned.

Device Self Service is under ##DATA# for Optimus S running ZVD.

Do you know if disabling it also disables Update PRL and Update Profile?

TucsonDirect

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Are you using Optimus S or another similar model?

Couldn't find that option under the menu you mentioned.

Device Self Service is under ##DATA# for Optimus S running ZVD.

Do you know if disabling it also disables Update PRL and Update Profile?

Am using the optimus S
SORRY IT IS ## DATA!!
i feel like a noob <:cool:-k

It could affect the updating of the prl, but i had no problems (after using qpst prl from another phone, x-fer to optimus, then dial *228 on cricket) getting new prl updates
when i was on sprint it also still updated by dialing *228 or *22800 and or (ymmv) *22801 *22802..... - *22809

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Am using the optimus S
SORRY IT IS ## DATA!!
i feel like a noob <:cool:-k

It could affect the updating of the prl, but i had no problems (after using qpst prl from another phone, x-fer to optimus, then dial *228 on cricket) getting new prl updates
when i was on sprint it also still updated by dialing *228 or *22800 and or (ymmv) *22801 *22802..... - *22809
Ok, I think it is actually easier to get rid of the update message by clicking more info, then pulling your battery. It doesn't require MSL and it doesn't affect Update Profile and Update PRL.

Sprint does there updates a little different than cricket. PRL is not as big a deal as Update Profile because as you mentioned, you can load it with other tools. Update Profile though is nice to have working because you if you mess up your data logins, that is the worse time to figure out Update Profile doesn't work.

Anyway, I'm not really opposed to adding the info you provided, but if there is an easier solution which doesn't even require MSL, I think that will be best for most people.

randy74

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I have a few questions

last week I updated my phone and the hotspot widget stopped working so I read around on the forum and found this post and reverted back and everything works great now, but I now keep getting the system update reminder to update to LS670ZVC. Is this the update that killed the hotspot widget? If the LS670ZVC update is what killed the hotspot widget how can I get my phone to stop wanting to update. I am currently on android version 2.2.1 and SW version LS670ZV9. thanks for any help in advance

Randy

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I have a few questions

last week I updated my phone and the hotspot widget stopped working so I read around on the forum and found this post and reverted back and everything works great now, but I now keep getting the system update reminder to update to LS670ZVC. Is this the update that killed the hotspot widget? If the LS670ZVC update is what killed the hotspot widget how can I get my phone to stop wanting to update. I am currently on android version 2.2.1 and SW version LS670ZV9. thanks for any help in advance

Randy
ZVC killed root, but left hotspot. ZVD killed root and hotspot.

When it tells you there is an update, click on more info, then pull your battery. People report that stops the nag message.

voteforcondit

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
i am running windows 7 and i got to the part where i flashed back to v9 and i have the blank screen. i try to use the java tool to see the screen dosnt work. also tried using it in ubuntu 10.10 and i cant get it to work. i am not sure where i should be going from here....

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
i am running windows 7 and i got to the part where i flashed back to v9 and i have the blank screen. i try to use the java tool to see the screen dosnt work. also tried using it in ubuntu 10.10 and i cant get it to work. i am not sure where i should be going from here....
What specific problem/error are you seeing? "Doesn't work" is too little to go on.

Reactions: Justencs

Justencs

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Very nice. Rolled back to VC and widget now works :) I want to play with another ROM once I sort out some of the info but this is great for now. Thank you!

MuzikRow#AC

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Just wanted to say that I followed the directions to the "T" and everything worked as prescribed. Thanks a million. Even the Battery pull/More info trick when the nag message pops up worked. My wife was PISSED when VZD loaded. Now she's back at VZ9.

Props to all involed. Now on to root my Samsung Moment. :p

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I am clicking on the LS670ZV9_20.S9_20.P60671.cab link and it downloads as LS670ZVD_12.S12.P60675.wdb any suggestions?
Don't know what is up with that. I just downloaded it and the ZV9 link was ZV9. Which link are you using?

As to why it is unpacking, you probably have a handler defined for .cab files. Try using ctrl-click

Last edited:

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Just wanted to say that I followed the directions to the "T" and everything worked as prescribed. Thanks a million. Even the Battery pull/More info trick when the nag message pops up worked. My wife was PISSED when VZD loaded. Now she's back at VZ9.

Props to all involed. Now on to root my Samsung Moment. :p
Glad you got her phone working the way she wanted.

Rolando_geo

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
How did you fixed the .cab being named something else please let me know caz I am having the same problem and have not being able to figure it out.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
How did you fixed the .cab being named something else please let me know caz I am having the same problem and have not being able to figure it out.
I would be glad to fix it for you if you tell me which link is giving you problems. I went back and downloaded the ZV9 links (both the regular and alternate locations) and they really are ZV9, not ZVD.

smoroeace

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Ok... this is driving me nuts. Ive been fighting this thing for 3 days now. I have spent the past 3 yearsjailbreaking my iPhone, and never had trouble. This is almost confusing, but in the end, I still cant get a valid result.

I have followed the instructions here to revert back to V9, had to use the bling method of doing everything from there, as I have a new phone withthe new display. I managed to get z4root to report that it had rooted, yet executing an ADB SHELL in cmd promot still returns a $, not a #. So Im guessing it actually isnt rooted. From there in the instructions Im stuck. I cant go on without a proper root.

Ive fought to this point 5 times, and have run out of time and had to revert back agian to VD. What am I missing?

EDIT---- BTW, Im trying to work my way thru this quide...http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-...-guide-rooting-software-version-ls670zvd.html

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Ok... this is driving me nuts. Ive been fighting this thing for 3 days now. I have spent the past 3 yearsjailbreaking my iPhone, and never had trouble. This is almost confusing, but in the end, I still cant get a valid result.

I have followed the instructions here to revert back to V9, had to use the bling method of doing everything from there, as I have a new phone withthe new display. I managed to get z4root to report that it had rooted, yet executing an ADB SHELL in cmd promot still returns a $, not a #. So Im guessing it actually isnt rooted. From there in the instructions Im stuck. I cant go on without a proper root.

Ive fought to this point 5 times, and have run out of time and had to revert back agian to VD. What am I missing?

EDIT---- BTW, Im trying to work my way thru this quide...http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-...-guide-rooting-software-version-ls670zvd.html

No it actually IS rooted. You will get a $ symbol upon entering ADB shell, that is normal. You need to type "su" within the ADB shell and allow the Superuser prompt. This requires that your screen be on and not at the lock screen.

smoroeace

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
No it actually IS rooted. You will get a $ symbol upon entering ADB shell, that is normal. You need to type "su" within the ADB shell and allow the Superuser prompt. This requires that your screen be on and not at the lock screen.

Thanks... I looked back over all the guides Im using and still dont see that step, but it makes sence. Ill have to give that a shot tomarrow night

You help is much appreciated!

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Don't worry, the su prompt thing is job security for folks around here :)

BTW instead of doing things blindly, you should use Android Screencast. That suggestion is there in the RED warning #2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463