Sprint pulling VC OTA update for Optimus phones

coadman

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I did the VC update on the LG site, and have had no problems. Of course, this is with a stock phone. I wanted to keep my options open to rooting in the future, so I went the Lg site route.

kpfeiffer

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
I bricked my phone on purpose (very much a pain to unroot 4 times for hardware related issues with my speaker and physical power button) got an lg "referb" turned out to be brand new. I am on v9 and never got nagged about ota update instead when I checked for giggles it said I was up to date. Lg update also says I'm up to date at v9. not going to update bc tr 1.6 works for me and I haven't issues with my signal battery sd card or anything with the replacement. Odd though that they would pull vc ota.

My Software is LS670ZVC and Baseband is LS670MVC. I did the revert to stock V8 > V9 > VC > root > custom recovery > TR 1.7 last Monday. Took a while cause of some computer issues on my part, but I've really had no issues with my phone...free space, battery life and signal have been good.

javascriptvoid

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
i been having the multiply lg brick issue but after many different trouble shooting i get it to boot back up. hope the issue gets fixed soon. im always afraid to shut dowm my phone cause thats when it usually happens

dafluke24

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
i been having the multiply lg brick issue but after many different trouble shooting i get it to boot back up. hope the issue gets fixed soon. im always afraid to shut dowm my phone cause thats when it usually happens

You could always go back to V9. I haven't found any issue with that sw version. Granted you won't be able to use TR 1.7 though, but no worries about turning off the phone. Hopefully this VC thing gets figured out eventually

Sarcoptic

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Here was my workflow:

V9 > Root > Thunderrom > Unroot back to V8 > V9 > VC via LG Update Tool > Root > Gingerbread Rom

As mentioned before it took some time to revert but I too see it was worth it. My battery life and signal definitely increased. I am wondering if tuning the radio helped in both cases. The upgrade is worth it...just take your time and follow the instructions that are listed throughout these forums.

loudang

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Updated to VC with no problems yesterday following the "Robchoas" method. No issues at all since then, even rebooted a couple of times to see if anything happens. Phone says baseband LS670MVC_60401001 and SW Version LS670ZVC. Running ThundeROM 1.7.

Sparty73

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I guess other people aren't as bothered by it, but I really can't stand what they've done to the display. It makes lighter colored text more difficult to read, and the picture just looks less realistic overall.

Caused me to revert back to V9 for the time being. I'm happy there. I never noticed any radio differences (including increased battery life/reception) during the short period I was on VC.

trekkie1701c

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Their best bet is to cease OTA and to switch to only LG Updater.

Why? OTA seems convenient for someone who doesn't know anything about how the phone works, right? Yes and that is the problem. The user needs to know what is going on so the user knows the dangers.

Also OTA needs to be packaged differently to conserve bandwidth. This is not only to save Sprint money, but to help ensure that 200 Optimus S on the same tower in a city doesn't kill everyone's data access. This is also why it is rolled out in stages.

If the user does not know how to update the phone, or does not want to bother with LG Updater, Sprint has always offered free updating service for anyone who brings their phone in, so this doesn't hurt either.

At the VERY least, LG's recovery installer needs to have a minimum battery requirement check. Does it?

At least on v8 it does. I was immediately prompted to update to use Swype after I got my phone... but it took about 3 hours before I could accept it due to needing to charge it, and I was home charging it within five minutes (benefit of living right next to a mall). They may have removed it in v9, I'm not sure; I haven't used the stock recovery to do any updates other than that.

pjminn

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I have 5 new optimums S on a family plan. I did updated using the LG updater tool but had not rooted yet. They all work fine until the first battery pull then they "LG" screen bricked on reboot. This has happened 4 times and had to get new phones from sprint. A 5th phone freezes and we just set it on the charger for a few hours and it starts working again. We have not pulled the battery on this one but if I did I bet it would brick. I am going to stick with V9 until this is fixed.

tmeader

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
At least it's starting to sound more and more like the hang at the LG Logo on power-down issue is something that is larger scale and needs to be fixed on the Sprint/LG end, not something that can be fixed by anyone here :(

javascriptvoid

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
I have 5 new optimums S on a family plan. I did updated using the LG updater tool but had not rooted yet. They all work fine until the first battery pull then they "LG" screen bricked on reboot. This has happened 4 times and had to get new phones from sprint. A 5th phone freezes and we just set it on the charger for a few hours and it starts working again. We have not pulled the battery on this one but if I did I bet it would brick. I am going to stick with V9 until this is fixed.

Yea that's what mine has been doin the last 2 weeks. Too bad I love cm7 too much to go back to v9

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

O.a.T.

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site

Not previously rooted on v9 either? If so, that pretty much says to me there is something very wrong with the VC update, on at least some phones, independent of the update method (OTA or Updater), and independent of anything Sprint does.

ocellaris

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site

Wow. I already had one VC Optimus S logo brick after I had to pull the battery, I guess its a definite thing. I am using the replacement now and will be terrified of it locking up and forcing me to pull the battery :eek:

dafluke24

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Well what do you know. I force flashed my replacement phone back down to V9. After it started up, it was asking to update to VC lol I guess maybe the tech I spoke with was wrong after all. That sucks. Sorry if I mislead anyone to believe the VC OTA update was pulled. That was not my intention :-[

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Wow. I already had one VC Optimus S logo brick after I had to pull the battery, I guess its a definite thing. I am using the replacement now and will be terrified of it locking up and forcing me to pull the battery :eek:
The phone I have updated to VC using LG Software Update survives multiple battery pulls with no problems. I rotate 3 batteries onto the unit, switching every other day.

Immersion

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
So has it been pulled or not?? Im on a stock v9 (rooted) optimus s....and Im still getting the nag every few mins.....

Can i manually delete the temp VC file that was downloaded via Root explorer?