Sprint pulling VC OTA update for Optimus phones

dafluke24

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Just FYI. Take it for what it's worth.

Just got off the phone with a Sprint tech who seem knowledgeable and we were talking about the VC update. He informed me that Sprint is pulling the OTA update for the Optimus phones because it was causing more problems than it was fixing. From what he told me, the VC update itself is no longer on the Sprint servers so there will no nag messages sent to the phones to do the OTA update.

Again, take it for what it's worth, but from what I can gather, he seems to know what he's talking about. He even mentioned that the OTA update from Sprint and the update through the LG updater tool were different, and has been causing all sorts of problems.

This all came about because I got a refurb phone with VC installed from Sprint just this past Friday because of the LG Logo screen issue (you can see my posts in tmeader's thread about the LG logo screen brick after VC update). Well the touchscreen on this refurb was bad. After holding down on an icon on the desktop to move it, the icon would actually move in a jerky manner around my finger and I had not moved my finger at all. I only held down to select it. This cause extra letters to be typed when I was using the virtual keyboard, which really bugs me. Then I had some phantom screens show up for no apparent reason and disappear again. Rebooting would resolve the jerky movements, but then it would come right back. So called Sprint to see what I could do.

Turns out, the supposed "refurb" phone I got was not refurb, but actually a new OEM one from LG. He checked the MEID and said both my original optimus and the "refurb" were both brand new. The repair center may have thought it was refurb, but it wasn't.

So, now he's sending out an actual refurb phone to me. when I asked if it will have V9 or VC on it, he said it would be V9. They've flashed all their refurbed phones back to V9, if the VC update was performed. Now not sure if they'd update in store to VC if you ask for it, but from what I can gather, they're going back to V9 on their phones until a new update (fix) comes out.

Sorry for the long post. Just felt it was pertinent information I could pass on to see if it will help others and and devs.

For those who are on VC via OTA update and can't root, maybe you can have Sprint flash back down to V9 and root from there. From what I heard, if you ask to go back to the previous software version, you can have Sprint do it for you in store. YMMV though since my situation was a unique one.

I should get the phone Tues and will post back what update it has. If it's truly V9, then I will try root and flash to TR 1.6 and stay there until otherwise

Reactions: MaXXimus

jeffreynothing43

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I actually went to VC and tried TR 1.7. I had no issues (like LG logo brick) but didn't like how my phone performed after the update and the install. I went back to 1.6.2 and am very happy with my phone once again. For anyone out there runnning VC and have issues...if you go back to V9 you will be happy too. I know I am...that's just my 2cents.

I'm curious to see if this is true about Sprint.

cordell

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
I have gotten a total of 3 replacement phones from sprint, one was new but still labeled a refurb. The other 2 were refurbs but were locked out from using the LG Upgrader Tool. We contributed this to the changing of the MEID not being registered with LG. Anyway, all 3 of the replacement phone came with V9 on them, they never "flashed" them to VC, at least as of 5 days ago. They may be pulling ther update, I am sure they are overwhelmed with replacements due to us rooters, lol. I doubt the update bricks stock phones the way it is the rooted ones. Though I never told them I was rooted, I blamed the brick on the OTA, like we all did ;)

Root, Hack, Mod, Enjoy, Long live the Cyanogen powered Optimus S :D

dafluke24

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
They may be pulling ther update, I am sure they are overwhelmed with replacements due to us rooters, lol. I doubt the update bricks stock phones the way it is the rooted ones. Though I never told them I was rooted, I blamed the brick on the OTA, like we all did ;)

Surely there can't be THAT many rooters vs actual normal users. I think we're a small minority. :)

O.a.T.

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
I have gotten a total of 3 replacement phones from sprint, one was new but still labeled a refurb. The other 2 were refurbs but were locked out from using the LG Upgrader Tool. We contributed this to the changing of the MEID not being registered with LG. Anyway, all 3 of the replacement phone came with V9 on them, they never "flashed" them to VC, at least as of 5 days ago. They may be pulling ther update, I am sure they are overwhelmed with replacements due to us rooters, lol. I doubt the update bricks stock phones the way it is the rooted ones. Though I never told them I was rooted, I blamed the brick on the OTA, like we all did ;)

Root, Hack, Mod, Enjoy, Long live the Cyanogen powered Optimus S :D

I am aware of some "bricks" occurring to stock phones being caused by the OTA VC update. My good friend, a Sprint employee, refused to quantify, which I thought was strange.

Last edited:

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Also there are various reports of people who run the OTA update and experience slowdowns or other strange behavior. If those users wipe data/cache and restore stuff, everything works ok, but I don't think that behavior is the desired one for an OTA update that nags you forever until you give in.

cordell

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
I am aware of some "bricks" occurring to stock phones being caused by the OTA VC update. My good friend, a Sprint employee, refused to quantify, which I thought was strange.

Rooted stock, or just plain ol stock? I wouldnt doubt it, stock phones bricking due to VC update. With all the issues this is causing the community.

lichan

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
The question now, if we held off updating, should we continue or go do the LG update method, before it is removed? The next version will be even harder to root.

O.a.T.

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Rooted stock, or just plain ol stock? I wouldnt doubt it, stock phones bricking due to VC update. With all the issues this is causing the community.

He was thin on details, but I gather there were some new phones out of the box that were being updated with VC, via OTA, at the store, at the time of purchase. Others also came in, but he isn't able to tell if they were modded. Again, not sure of the numbers as he was rather elusive about that.

sonicbluemustang

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
So your saying that they will send out another OTA update to remove VC? I'll believe that when I see it. I actually believe they will send out Gingerbread before that will happen.

zefie

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Their best bet is to cease OTA and to switch to only LG Updater.

Why? OTA seems convenient for someone who doesn't know anything about how the phone works, right? Yes and that is the problem. The user needs to know what is going on so the user knows the dangers.

Also OTA needs to be packaged differently to conserve bandwidth. This is not only to save Sprint money, but to help ensure that 200 Optimus S on the same tower in a city doesn't kill everyone's data access. This is also why it is rolled out in stages.

If the user does not know how to update the phone, or does not want to bother with LG Updater, Sprint has always offered free updating service for anyone who brings their phone in, so this doesn't hurt either.

At the VERY least, LG's recovery installer needs to have a minimum battery requirement check. Does it?

dafluke24

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
So your saying that they will send out another OTA update to remove VC? I'll believe that when I see it. I actually believe they will send out Gingerbread before that will happen.

Nope I never said that about another OTA update to remove VC. The tech didn't mention anything about plans for those who already updated to VC. I'm just stating the fact that the VC OTA update is no longer or should be no longer available. I'm sure there are alot out there on both V9 and VC, but those on V9 should no longer get the nag message to update to VC.

Zefie, I agree with you 100%. OTA is more convenient, but too many variables that can go wrong.

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
I think Sprint needs to realize that they can't stop the people that want to OWN their phones and STFU about it.

And the VC update is still available with the LG tool.

phufool

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I actually like the VC update, it fixed my problems with the SD card and random restarts and I have no problems with the VC update. :(

pitmasterme

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
So should I do the update? Is it worth it? I've read that some have better batt life and signal strength. While others can't power down their phones for fear of going through some crazy steps to get access to it again..........

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

twobit

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
I have had some usb tethering issues since i installed the update and it doesnt seem to matter what rom i run either

Treo_Robb

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
FYI - I was *just* prompted to install LS670ZVC OTA update. Previously I was being prompted to install LS670MVC. This prompt came right after I updated to VC via the LG updater using the instructions provided by Robchaos_ on how to update to VC from V9 without losing all your data, etc...

mr.longbough

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
I bricked my phone on purpose (very much a pain to unroot 4 times for hardware related issues with my speaker and physical power button) got an lg "referb" turned out to be brand new. I am on v9 and never got nagged about ota update instead when I checked for giggles it said I was up to date. Lg update also says I'm up to date at v9. not going to update bc tr 1.6 works for me and I haven't issues with my signal battery sd card or anything with the replacement. Odd though that they would pull vc ota.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1