Tweak to improve battery life with CM7 (Scott Pilgrim Awesomeness)

acromack

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
So since some of you were looking for it, here's the battery tweak again that I originally posted deep in the belly of the Scott Pilgrim (CM7) thread:

I originally found this information on the xda forums.. I've only tested it in the CM7 build, so it may or may not work in other ROMs. And it's been days since I first did this.. I can tell you that my battery did go from about a max of 10 hours, to nearly a whole day (24 hour period) if I kept it to light use. The highest I've seen my TWS% go during the course of a day was about 20-25% (some of my classes are in old stone buildings built to double as fallout shelters, so even roaming doesn't always work). From what I've seen around on these and other forums is that many CM7 builds (probably mostly the unofficial ports) don't have that great battery life compared to some other more established and polished ROMs, but at least this will get you to a more reasonable position battery-wise.

1. Open up the dialpad, and type:

*#*#4636#*#*

(the numbers are for 'info'; don't press call, it should automatically go to a 'Testing' menu)
  2. Go into 'Phone information'
  3. Press Menu, and select 'Select radio band' (this will result in a force close, but that's what we want.. just keep going.)
  4. Go back into 'Phone information' and scroll down to the bottom'. It will probably still say 'CDMA auto (PRL)', but the problem is this is probably a visual glitch. Or it might say 'Unknown'. Either way, switch it to something else, then switch it back to 'CDMA auto (PRL)'. Then you can turn off the radio and turn it back on with the button right underneath that.
  5. At this point, the fix has been applied, but it would be a good idea to clear the battery stats to get a fresh start. So boot into recovery and do that, then reboot. The fix *should* stick after this reboot, but I think it didn't when I first did it. But assuming it does, then you're golden. It will be like this for all other reboots. If it does not, then just do it again. You can tell if it worked if when you go into battery usage, and go into cell standby, the TWS% is much lower. I charged mine completely overnight after applying this fix and have been off the charger now for over a half hour and TWS% is still at 0% (even though cell standby is at 46% (but that's not a problem at all..), and my battery is still at 100%. Before, by this point, it would probably already have dropped 5% with the same amount I've been using it.

BKMSTR

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Using the S I was looking through the settings. I saw there were options for GSM. Would this phone work w/ GSM? With my very limited understanding of how cells actually work I thought a phone was one or the other not both?

swg0101

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
The phone would not work with GSM. Even if it would, where would you insert a SIM card? :)
Anyhow, turning on and off the Airplane Mode while charging does the same thing pretty much.

acromack

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
The phone would not work with GSM. Even if it would, where would you insert a SIM card? :)
Anyhow, turning on and off the Airplane Mode while charging does the same thing pretty much.

I'm not sure if that actually does do the same thing. I've tried it before and still ended up with crazy high TWS%'s. But it seems like this method is a bit more permanent.

And I bet the GSM part is in there as a leftover piece of some CM7 thing, since I never had this problem with any other rom, specifically TR. Then again, I don't know if it was even possible to access this menu through a method such as this in TR anyway..

swg0101

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
GSM is still in TR and nROM or any other ROMs I have used...
And the Airplane mode thing depends on how you do it - you will need to keep it charging while doing it, and let it continue to charge after you finish the workaround, so the battery stats will refresh, then unplug.
Both of these methods AFAIK only lasts until next boot...

pitmasterme

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure if that actually does do the same thing. I've tried it before and still ended up with crazy high TWS%'s. But it seems like this method is a bit more permanent.

And I bet the GSM part is in there as a leftover piece of some CM7 thing, since I never had this problem with any other rom, specifically TR. Then again, I don't know if it was even possible to access this menu through a method such as this in TR anyway..

I am running tr 1.6.2 while I wait for the sound to improve on cm7(which I absolutly LOVE!((i use streaming radio and my music player too much to not have it sound right....)) Thank you zefie, mik_os, nick7, beezy, cordell and anyone else who chipped in and continue to tweak and improve this rom). I have tried this out since i was at 50% tws. After many tries, I got tws to drop to 30%(i didn"t wipe batt stats the last time I tried before I got the 20% drop......) and so far so good. Looking forward to see if my batt life is improved... Thanks for the thread to have me check something out that I didn't know was hurting my batt life. And yes I have GSM available for me too choose from.... What would happen if I chose "cdma only" option??

tr 1.6.2
v9
cwma recovery

acromack

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Yes, CDMA will prevent the phone from roaming.

Also, I've had this method work after a reboot, but it apparently does do the same thing as the airplane mode toggle while charging (which you definitely have to redo after a reboot). After many reboots, I'm still yet to go over about 20-25% TWS at a maximum. Much better than 60-70%...

Hope this helps..

LoganShepp

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm on about 7 hours use. Heavy data/texting. 22% loss. Tws% is a constant 18% on legoROM. I think that this works real well.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk