1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Force install to SD not working on Optimus S

I am trying to follow instructions to force moving of apps to SD card (to free up memory on my phone). I have a stock V which is not rooted. Also, I accidentally installed the OTA (damn those one click installs) not sure if that causes any issue.
    On running the following command:

adb shell pm setInstallLocation 2

I get a message which says:
    [1] Killed pm setInstallLoc...

When I try to install new apps they still go to main memory and those who won't want to budge from the mail memory still have the move to SD card grayed out.

Strangely when I set it back to default value - 0, I get no such error.

Any suggestions?

ROM
    CM10 (Deck) 10/29

First of all, what rom are you running? (If anything other than stock).. Also, if you've installed the VC update, are you root again? That update kills root I'm pretty sure, and you might need it to do this.

I'm pretty sure this only works for unprotected apps (excluding more 'system'-type apps such as phone and contacts, the same probably goes for mail). But if you move everything else, you should have plenty of room for those protected apps to stay. I have well over 100 apps installed, and still over 70mb free on internal memory (most things are installed to the sd card).

You might want to use Titanium to do it instead, which works much better IMO. You can batch move all apps (and deselect your widgets and whatever other apps you don't want to move), and it'll do all the work for you right there. It should also be able to move some of those protected apps if you really want to.

Even easier, in the CM7 build (Scott Pilgrim Awesomeness), there's an option in the settings that does this same thing, but actually works. Then any new apps will install to sd card automatically.

I've tried that same method for an unrooted Optimus S. It goes through all the correct motions, but no luck.

ROM
    Kraven's CM9 ICS

I do the same thing even if rooted and it keeps putting it back to 0 [Let device decide] or something like that. I even tried the apps they have on the market.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Dogg, unfortunately I still am stuck with the problem.
    acromack, to answer your question, my phone is rooted but still on the stock VD ROM (undid the VC OTA update, went back to V9 using this thread of the forum, rooted using steps mentioned in the thread and then used LG update tool to move to VD).
    Here is what I get:
    adb shell
    $ su
    su
    # pm getInstallLocation
    pm getInstallLocation
    0[auto]
    # pm setInstallLocation 2
    pm setInstallLocation 2
    [1] Killed pm setInstallLocation 2
    # pm getInstallLocation
    pm getInstallLocation
    0[auto]
    #
    Forum experts, any help here?

TIA
    Last edited by androidjim; 04-08-2011 at 02:08 PM.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Folks with root.
    i was able to finally get off all the stubborn apps using titanium backup (had rooted this afternoon, so hadn't used it yet).
    I had 38MB free before, now 125 .

Quote Originally Posted by androidjim View Post
    Folks with root.
    i was able to finally get off all the stubborn apps using titanium backup (had rooted this afternoon, so hadn't used it yet).
    I had 38MB free before, now 125 .
    What apps did you remove?
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by mercrapper View Post
    What apps did you remove?
    Lot of junk apps .
    I guess the biggest was z4root, I think it was ~25MB.
    Yahoo mail, facebook etc were other notable contributions in top 10.
    Thanked by: