Stuck in the Muck

Ranji

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
OK, I've recently been trying to get some things done to my phone, which have led me on a merry chase of do me first, no me, no me, etc.... I'd originally wanted to enable JIT on my phone as I'm hoping to boost performance in my emulators so that I can play them with sound, but without the lag it incurs (works fine w/o sound, but Phantasy Star IV was not meant to play deaf...fanboy aside...). If it matters any in that department, I'm using the Tiger emulators there.

Anyways, along the road, I'd learned I'd needed to do a custom recovery/backup before enabling, which led me to needing to root my phone. I then find out that because of the version I have on my phone, I need to downgrade it first (Lists my model number as LS670, build ZVC, kernel 2.6.32.9, baseband LS670MVC_60401001...basically every update that has been released til now was installed).

I went about the process of downgrading that I'd seen on one of the threads here, and keep encountering the "PC can't find my phone error" with the LG app you use. Then I come to find out that some LCD driver update I have won't be present and will shut down the screen on my phone if I can downgrade. I got fed up at this point (working til 4am on it kinda sapped me...)

Long story aside, I'm so screwed up now, I'm not sure what I need to do, let alone how to do it... I've given you guys every bit of information I can think is relevant or useful in hopes you can help me at least get this thing rooted so I can work from there.

Thanks (and sorry)

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
If you have VC, JIT is already enabled.

I listed an outline of what to do in your situation in the RED warning #2 in my signature.

If you can describe what step you are at and what you are stuck on that would help us provide you with what to do next.

Otherwise, you can just force flash VC and start from the beginning.

Reactions: Ranji

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

Ranji

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Well, I got that going finally, goofed and was in tools instead of platform-tools... And I can do step 4 up until the adb resets, I keep getting $ instead of #.

Disregard, finally got it going.... took 7 run throughs... I have Superuser Free on my phone now...

Last edited:

Ranji

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
OK, I'm working on Custom Recovery now, and I'm getting stuck on the line
# mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak

Gives me "failed on 'system/etc/install-recovery.sh' - No such file or directory"

Also, I just noticed, ThundeROM doesn't allow me to install it if I'm using V9??? So do I have to upgrade again and then magically re-root my ass?

Last edited:

O.a.T.

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site

Gives me "failed on 'system/etc/install-recovery.sh' - No such file or directory"

Also, I just noticed, ThundeROM doesn't allow me to install it if I'm using V9??? So do I have to upgrade again and then magically re-root my ass?

Re: mv. As long as you are sure you have typed the command correctly, don't worry about it, just go onto the next step.

Re: TR1.7. Believe you can still flash it but you won't be able to update PRL/Profile. No overclocking either. Maybe a few other things that you are used to if on TR1.6.2. If you want the full TR1.7 experience, there is a "shortcut" that has worked for some (no resulting LG Logo hang) while preserving your apps by RobChaos, but still no overclocking.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

The "mv" error is expected. Some installs will have that file depending on how you got to your current version. It'll revert some of your changes, so it is best to move it out of the way. If you don't have that file, then you wouldn't have had the problem in the first place.

The ThundeROM that is posted doesn't. You'll get Hands Free Activation popping up.

What you want to do is install the stock V9 recovery image. Then use the LG Software Updater to update to VC (do not use the OTA VC update)

Then you can root the V9 Recovery using rage and copying your su/busybox to /system/bin

As I mentioned, I outlined what to do in the RED WARNING #2 section of my signature.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Ok... I've used LG to update to VC again, and I've got all the files for this guy here...

http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-...-guide-rooting-software-version-ls670zvc.html

Tried running through it once now and after running rage, I still get $. I keep getinng this now...
You are running rage from an adb shell with phone booted into stock V9 Recovery partition right?

As you saw before, rage depends on a race condition which doesn't always hit gold. You may need to try several times before it works. Sometimes throw in a phone and PC reboot helps the timing.

Ranji

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I just re-downgraded to V9 per your sig thread. Now before I run back to VC the same way, should I root??

Also, I'm not entirely sure what you're ask there, I have the following in my root

update.zip (from the ZVC thread)
xionia.img
xionia_cwma_12518.4.img
bash
busybox
flash_image
rageagainstthecage
su
and v9recovery.img

If a filetype wasn't mentioned, that's because I wasn't given one.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I just re-downgraded to V9 per your sig thread. Now before I run back to VC the same way, should I root??

Also, I'm not entirely sure what you're ask there, I have the following in my root

update.zip (from the ZVC thread)
xionia.img
xionia_cwma_12518.4.img
bash
busybox
flash_image
rageagainstthecage
su
and v9recovery.img

If a filetype wasn't mentioned, that's because I wasn't given one.
If your goal is to root, the point of reverting to V9 is to install the stock V9 recovery partition. This is the key to allowing you to root VC later on. Now to install the stock V9 recovery partition, you need to first root V9. For others this is a much easier process because they just run z4root and it usually works the first time. That however is probably too much to do with a blank screen, so you need to fall back to the rage method to root, which can take several attempts.

After you obtain root with rage, then the first thing you want to do is to flash the stock V9 recovery image. You'll run something like
flash_image recovery /sdcard/v9recovery.img

Once that is done, you proceed to use the LG Software Updater tool to upgrade back to VC. The LG Software Updater tool will not touch your recovery partition as it upgrades to VC. Thus when you are done, you'll have a stock V9 recovery (which will have the blank screen) and a stock VC Android, which will display fine.

At this point, reboot into your V9 recovery.

Then you can root by running rage on the stock V9 recovery (as mentioned earlier, your screen will be blank, but your adb shell session will be fine). Don't forget to run the V8->V9 update.zip first (this is the part you'll need to do blind) or you won't be able to open your adb shell session.

Ranji

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
OK, well, here's the next part... Apparently I don't suffer from the LCD issue, so I used z4 this time to root. It rebooted the phone
and I reinstalled superuser, and tweaked minfreemanager just to see if it would work. It did, so I opened up command prompt again and attempted to use the line you gave me both in and out of the 'adb shell'

OK, got a terminal app that says I have, and when I put 'su' into the shell it changed me over to #. I run the line you give me and it says flash_image not found

Should point out that I get # in both the termianal app and the PC.

Last edited:

mercrapper

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
OK, well, here's the next part... Apparently I don't suffer from the LCD issue, so I used z4 this time to root. It rebooted the phone
and I reinstalled superuser, and tweaked minfreemanager just to see if it would work. It did, so I opened up command prompt again and attempted to use the line you gave me both in and out of the 'adb shell'

OK, got a terminal app that says I have, and when I put 'su' into the shell it changed me over to #. I run the line you give me and it says flash_image not found

Should point out that I get # in both the termianal app and the PC.

You have to copy the flash_image file from the sdcard to /system/bin
but before you do that you have to remount /system as writable.

from TE (or adb shell)
su
mount -o rw,remount /system
cp /sdcard/flash_image /system/bin
flash_image recovery [full path to recovery image]

Ranji

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb shell
$ su
su
# mount -o rw,remount /system
Usage: mount [-r] [-w] [-o options] [-t type] device directory
# cp /sdcard/flash_image /system/bin
cp: not found

that's what I'm getting there

mercrapper

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb shell
$ su
su
# mount -o rw,remount /system
Usage: mount [-r] [-w] [-o options] [-t type] device directory
# cp /sdcard/flash_image /system/bin
cp: not found

that's what I'm getting there

Oops, that version of mount has a different syntax

try this
mount -r -w -o remount /system
/sdcard/busybox cp /sdcard/flash_image /system/bin
flash_image recovery [full path to recovery image]

Ranji

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
OK, it took everything on that one now....

So I just use the LG tool to update to ZVC now, then I boot it in recovery with the v9recovery.img?

If so, how do I do the second?

mercrapper

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
OK, it took everything on that one now....

So I just use the LG tool to update to ZVC now, then I boot it in recovery with the v9recovery.img?

If so, how do I do the second?

What recovery image did you just flash?
You are already rooted, you should not have to flash the V9 recovery again, you already did that (after which your screen was blank when you went to recovery).

The recovery you just flashed should be one with the new display drivers so you can see what you are doing.

If you still have V9 of the ROM (your screen is blank when you boot normally), then you will have to flash VC using the LG Tool (Or you can flash a custom ROM with the updated display drivers).

What carrier are you on?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers