question about updating to VC

balak

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
hi all

I recently bought an optimus s (off craigslist) to upgrade from my heroc. Phone works great with stock, but I was using gingerbread on the heroc and would like to get that on the optimus as well..

anyways i read through the posts here and tried a few things but i am stuck. Currently my phones baseband version is LS670MV9_6040 & s/w version is LS670ZV9. I keep getting the reminder about OTA updates and I have been putting it off for now.

Since I read that ZVC cannot be rooted, I tried using the LG tool to update my phone. Unfortunately, that tool always comes back saying I have the latest version of the s/w and I cannot update any more.

I tried force flashing ZVC using the KP500 but that tool says my phone is not connected. I am using windows xp virtual m/c (virtualbox on ubuntu) for this. The phone does get connected to the virtual m/c since the LG tool connects to it.

Any ideas on how I can proceed further ? Is there a way to update the firmware using linux ? Its sad that all these companies have all the s/w to update on windoze only while the phones run linux inside..

thanks in advance!

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
If LG Software Updater says you have the latest, you probably have a refurbished phone. The phone itself might not be refurbished, but it was assigned a new MEID that is considered refurbished. Those MEIDs are not entered properly into LGs database so when you ask if there is any new software, it says nothing is available.

Your best bet is to get access to a machine that can run KP500 and force flash VC.

There may be some emulators that work, but most people mentioned they couldn't get it working.

mercrapper

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
If LG Software Updater says you have the latest, you probably have a refurbished phone. The phone itself might not be refurbished, but it was assigned a new MEID that is considered refurbished. Those MEIDs are not entered properly into LGs database so when you ask if there is any new software, it says nothing is available.

Your best bet is to get access to a machine that can run KP500 and force flash VC.

There may be some emulators that work, but most people mentioned they couldn't get it working.

You can use virtual box (closed source with USB support) running windows, but when the phone disconnects, you will have to manually "reconnect" the USB device in virtual box. Of course i don't know if that will have any negative affects on the flashing process.

I have been able to connect my phone to XP in virtual box running on Ubuntu to adb my phone, but did not try force flashing with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality36