Version LS670ZVD for those of us with refurbished phones

neilgoldstein

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I started a new thread, but if this was unnecessary let me know.

Those of us with refurb phones have a unique problem covered in a couple of other threads here. The LG updater tool will no longer work for us. I wanted to throw a couple of scenarios out to the community here for solutions.

1: Do we think that there will ever be an easy root method for LS670ZVD? and in that case maybe just wait for it?

2: Is it safe to use the KP500 tool to flash LS670ZVD on to our phones ( I haven't had the nerve to try yet, but might). And, if so, does it matter if the phone is already rooted? Custom Recovery? V9? VC?

3: Is there a way to 'fool' the LG recovery tool into flashing anyway. After pouring through the threads here, I see that we know the URL that it uses to check, and both the correct, and incorrect responses. Maybe some way to intercept the request by modifying the hosts file on the PC, and then re-route to a simple web server that returns the right response.

I used the URL that the tool gets as a correct response to get a copy of the update cab for VD.

Here it is: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8320427/LS670ZVD_12.SD_12.P60675.cab

Thank you in advance for all of the information here. It has been a fun ride so far!

Also.... can we at least turn off the update notifications somehow?

Last edited:

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
To answer your questions:

1) There already is. But it requires updating from a ROOTED VC or V9 with Xionia Clockwork recovery kernel installed prior to VD updation (yes that's a real word).

2) Yes, you may use KP500. The same rules for (1) apply.

3) That's what KP500 is for.

neilgoldstein

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
To answer your questions:

1) There already is. But it requires updating from a ROOTED VC or V9 with Xionia Clockwork recovery kernel installed prior to VD updation (yes that's a real word).

2) Yes, you may use KP500. The same rules for (1) apply.

3) That's what KP500 is for.

Thanks for the reply.

1) I know about this one. I got my system back to V9 with the recovery kernel. I guess I was wondering what everyone's thought's were about an easy root exploit being found, or are these LG developers getting better at blocking us?

2) I think I'll try this, but I hadn't seen an example of anyone else doing it yet. I successfully used KP500 to go back to V9

3) I know that KP500 will get me there, but in case I decide to be a chicken s--- and not do it, I was looking for a way to suppress the messages. Also, I have some family with the Optimus S that use the WiFi Hotspot Hack, and are not rooted. I help them remotely, but do not wish to talk a non-technical person through rooting/updating/KP500/etcetera. It would be great if I had a way to stop the update nags for them.

Once again, thank you!

dafluke24

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I have a refurb optimus running v9 with TR 1.6.2. I went ahead and did the following steps to get on VD with TR 1.8.

1. Reboot into recovery and made nandroid backup of current TR 1.6.2.

2. Restored my nandroid to when I was rooted and only had ThunderC recovery running stock rom --> not sure if this is necessary but I did it anyways as precaution. Others can chime in if this step was necessary or not.

3. Force flashed to VD using KP500 (skipped force flashing to VC)

4. After force flash, phone rebooted --> phone was no longer rooted

5. ADB reboot recovery and restored nandroid backup from step 1 and reboot phone.

6. Once phone reboots, ADB reboot recovery again and wipe Dalvik Cache and Cache

7. Flash VD compatible rom and reboot --> I used ThundeROM 1.8

8. First boot may take longer than usual to boot up.

9. Enjoy VD update with custom rom of your choice.

This is how I was able to go from V9 TR 1.6.2 to VD TR 1.8. Also did cold boot without the LG logo hang. It actually boots up faster too. So here's proof of this method working.

EDIT: wifi tether in TR 1.8 works too. They may have taken away wifi hotspot from us, but wifi tether for rooted users still works great.

Thanks go the following:
sfhub - KP500 force flashing thread
robchaos - updating your rooted v9 to VC without losing all your data thread
KSmith & Beezy - ThundeROM thread

Last edited:

chiphead

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
It works using kp500. Just do some reading and learn from other's mistakes. Android rooting isn't for the meek at heart. Nothing is ever 100% guaranteed.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon