[How-To] Simplified UNROOT and return to STOCK

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Simplified UNROOT and return to STOCK procedure

1) Download recovery.zip and update.zip
- UNZIP recovery.zip to top level of /sdcard (overwrite files if necessary) [link]
- COPY (do NOT unzip) update.zip in top level of /sdcard [mirror 1] [mirror 2] [MD5: 2db9b55305cff37a6b6e402fb8518acf] [Size: 88,007,618]
- Turn OFF USB Storage Mode when you are done, if you used it to copy update.zip to sdcard

2) Install stock recovery
- SKIP if you already have stock recovery
- SHORTCUT (optional) if you have Xionia CWMA Recovery, as a shortcut, skip this step, turn OFF signature verification, and perform Step #3 TWICE.
- from "adb shell" or "terminal" (do not type the $ and # symbols)
$ su
# cd /sdcard/000root
# /system/bin/sh install-vd.sh
# reboot recovery

3) Run ZVD update.zip
- press [Vol Dwn] button once to highlight "apply sdcard:update.zip" [pic]
- press the [Menu] button to run the ZVD updater [pic]
- after around 75 seconds (based on class 6 sdcard) it will return to the recovery menu [pic]
- press the [Menu] button to continue the rest of the install (write the radio, boot android, recreate dalvik-cache). [pic]
- after 3-7 minutes you should be booted into Android
Note #1: After 7 minutes, if your phone is still stuck at the Android logo, perform this procedure.
Note #2: If for some reason you need to re-root: ZVD [GingerSnap] [GingerBreak]

4) Reboot to recovery
- unplug usb cable, power down, wait until ALL lights are off, simultaneously press and hold [Power] [Vol Dwn] [Home] until Recovery shows up, release buttons

5) Wipe your data
- press [Vol Dwn] TWICE to highlight "wipe data/factory reset" [pic]
- press [Menu] to select
- press [Vol Dwn] SEVEN times to highlight "Yes -- delete all user data" [pic]
- press [Menu] to select

Note: If you want to scrub even your Sprint data login information and phone # from NVRAM, for example if you were to transfer/sell the phone to someone else, perform a ##786# reset from the dialer in Android (you'll need your MSL/SPC/Service Code - ask Sprint or use CDMA WS) Make sure you have the stock recovery properly installed (step 2) before you do this or you *may* brick your phone. It is worded to sound dangerous just so you pay attention. Xionia recovery 12518.6 and higher does not have brick issue.

Reference:
- Full ZVD update.zip (works from any version)
- Revert to V9 using KP500

Last edited:

pcubed

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Nice and simple, indeed!

So if I wanted to unroot and return to stock V9, I'd have to go through the LG updater again to get back to VD?

Is it possible to just restore the NAND backup I made of the VD stock before I rooted to be unrooted again?

Last edited:

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Nice and simple, indeed!

So if I wanted to unroot and return to stock V9, I'd have to go through the LG updater again to get back to VD?

Is it possible to just restore the NAND backup I made of the VD stock before I rooted to be unrooted again?
No need to go to VD, go straight to V9.

You can restore your NAND backup of VD, but it isn't necessary.

You might ask how come you can't just restore a NAND backup of stock and return a phone. You could do that and most techs would probably miss things like "su" in your /system/bin, mismatched radios, etc.

This method assures you that the recovery is stock v9, android (all of /system) is stock V9, and all your /data has been scrubbed of remnants.

pcubed

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
No need to go to VD, go straight to V9.

You can restore your NAND backup of VD, but it isn't necessary.

You might ask how come you can't just restore a NAND backup of stock and return a phone. You could do that and most techs would probably miss things like "su" in your /system/bin, mismatched radios, etc.

This method assures you that the recovery is stock v9, android (all of /system) is stock V9, and all your /data has been scrubbed of remnants.

What if I just want to unroot and run stock? Can I just restore the NAND backup? Not that I'd ever want to do anything like that, but it's good to know. =)

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
What if I just want to unroot and run stock? Can I just restore the NAND backup? Not that I'd ever want to do anything like that, but it's good to know. =)
If you aren't returning your phone to Sprint, you could just restore your NANDROID backup of stock. I'm sure you don't care that you have su, busybox, flash_image, Superuser.apk, etc. lying around :)

Last edited:

NicksOptimus

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Simplified UNROOT and return to STOCK procedure for users already rooted
(these instructions are written at a summary level so you need to know some basic terminology/techniques):

1) Manually flash the stock V9 recovery (Reference Section below). Skip if you already have stock recovery.
2) Force Flash V9 (or V8, VC, VD in KP500 reference section) - see KP500 thread - skip step (u), ie step (3) in the summary
3) Power down phone and boot into recovery (Home + Vol- + Power)
4) Choose "wipe data/factory reset" if you want everything factory fresh or "wipe cache" if you want to keep your data and run stock

NOTE: If you want to scrub even your Sprint data login information and phone # from NVRAM, for example if you were to transfer/sell the phone to someone else, perform a ##786# reset from the dialer in Android (you'll need your MSL/SPC/Service Code - ask Sprint or use CDMA WS)

Reference:

Manually flashing stock V9 Recovery image (requires root)
UNZIP flash_image and stock V9 recovery.img to /sdcard

Thanks for trying to keep it simple sfhub, appreciate your efforts. I get the steps to use the term emulator to reinstall stock recovery. But, how do I install stock ROM? I know the stock recovery does not have a install ROM from sd option.
Do I use the LG update tool? The step to install the custom ROM is confusing me.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for trying to keep it simple sfhub, appreciate your efforts. I get the steps to use the term emulator to reinstall stock recovery. But, how do I install stock ROM? I know the stock recovery does not have a install ROM from sd option.
Do I use the LG update tool? The step to install the custom ROM is confusing me.
You use the KP500 front-end to the LG update tool. If you run the LG update tool directly, it only lets you install the latest ROM. With KP500, you download the ROM yourself and specify which one the LG update tool uses.

Details are in the KP500 thread.

Reactions: NicksOptimus

NicksOptimus

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
OK. Last questions I promise.

1) Use terminal emulator on phone to get back to stock recovery
Connect phone via USB to PC and
2) Use the LG updater to flash the latest ROM

These 2 steps will set my phone back to Sprint stock and get a new one? Do I have to worry about VC/VD, etc.?

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
OK. Last questions I promise.

1) Use terminal emulator on phone to get back to stock recovery
Connect phone via USB to PC and
2) Use the LG updater to flash the latest ROM

These 2 steps will set my phone back to Sprint stock and get a new one? Do I have to worry about VC/VD, etc.?
Is there a reason you are wanting to use a terminal emulator? If you can connect to your PC, you can just use "adb shell" which will give you a terminal session on the phone, but using your PC's keyboard and screen.

For step 2, you can either use KP500, which will allow you to specify which ROM you want V8, V9, VC, VD, or you can use LG Software Updater which will only allow you to update to VD.

Personally I would suggest KP500 because it is more flexible (it uses parts of LG Software Updater to write to the phone) You might not need that capability now, but it could be useful to you in the future.

Both will work though.

NicksOptimus

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Is there a reason you are wanting to use a terminal emulator? If you can connect to your PC, you can just use "adb shell" which will give you a terminal session on the phone, but using your PC's keyboard and screen.

For step 2, you can either use KP500, which will allow you to specify which ROM you want V8, V9, VC, VD, or you can use LG Software Updater which will only allow you to update to VD.

Personally I would suggest KP500 because it is more flexible (it uses parts of LG Software Updater to write to the phone) You might not need that capability now, but it could be useful to you in the future.

Both will work though.

The reason I am reluctant to use the PC and brick my phone is I have a new Win 7 64 bit laptop and I tried ADB shell with no success. Is there any harm in using the terminal emulator though? I am very comfortable using it. Those commands in your first post should be good, right?

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
The reason I am reluctant to use the PC and brick my phone is I have a new Win 7 64 bit laptop and I tried ADB shell with no success. Is there any harm in using the terminal emulator though? I am very comfortable using it. Those commands in your first post should be good, right?
Terminal emulator is fine. Other than the inconvenience, which for you is a non-issue, there nothing wrong with it for doing that procedure.

Make sure you run the LG Software Updater installer in xp compatibility mode.

NicksOptimus

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Terminal emulator is fine. Other than the inconvenience, which for you is a non-issue, there nothing wrong with it for doing that procedure.

Got the stock recovery. On to step 2 with the LG update. Will post back soon.

NicksOptimus

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

OK, everything is fine except I get the NROM screen on boot. I wonder why?

NicksOptimus

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
What was the outcome of LG Software Updater? Did it tell you new software was available? Did it write to your phone?

LG Updater was fine. It recognized my phone and told me my software was not up to date did an update to the latest VD ROM. I don't know if I should have booted into stock recovery first and wiped cache, etc. Also, my SD card may have had stuff from before and this may have resulted in the NROM splash still showing up.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
LG Updater was fine. It recognized my phone and told me my software was not up to date did an update to the latest VD ROM. I don't know if I should have booted into stock recovery first and wiped cache, etc. Also, my SD card may have had stuff from before and this may have resulted in the NROM splash still showing up.
Oh, you mean just the NROM splash is there. Did you wipe data/cache? step (4)?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon