Bricked with no adb can't find an answer

csracing

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
edit:

back to V9 and updated back to VD. So my phone is magically working again.

Does anyone have a step by step on rooting the new LCD phones? I've tried this more times than I'd like to admit to at this point and have not gotten past the V9 flash.

Last edited:

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
edit:

Does anyone have a step by step on rooting the new LCD phones? I've tried this more times than I'd like to admit to at this point and have not gotten past the V9 flash.
Read the RED warning #2 for the revert thread in my signature.

ichihollow

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
edit:

Navigate to google.com search z4root xda first result should bring you to the developer's page on the xda forum. Download z4root.apk. install said apk on phone and run it. Done rooted v9.

I normally dont lime saying "just z4 it" but i had the same issue a little over a week ago. I tried in adb i tried in terminal emulator couldnt get it to give me a # so i got pissed downloaded z4 and it worked. Flashed recovery and rom at work and was done with it.

Dont forget, i didnt want vd, but the important part of this process is the nandroid back up before you go to vd.

csracing

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Navigate to google.com search z4root xda first result should bring you to the developer's page on the xda forum. Download z4root.apk. install said apk on phone and run it. Done rooted v9.

I normally dont lime saying "just z4 it" but i had the same issue a little over a week ago. I tried in adb i tried in terminal emulator couldnt get it to give me a # so i got pissed downloaded z4 and it worked. Flashed recovery and rom at work and was done with it.

Dont forget, i didnt want vd, but the important part of this process is the nandroid back up before you go to vd.

I can't run the z4 program because once I revert to V9 the display goes dead. I have the newer LCD phone that shipped from Sprint with VD on it already.

ichihollow

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
I can't run the z4 program because once I revert to V9 the display goes dead. I have the newer LCD phone that shipped from Sprint with VD on it already.

Do we know if the phone still understands input or does the digitizer not work also? I ask because if in v9 you can get adb then install z4 from adb and run it blind its going to be the very last thing on the very bottom of your apps list and the un root button is in the middle of the screen. Z4 doesnt take user input you just have to press a button.

csracing

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Do we know if the phone still understands input or does the digitizer not work also? I ask because if in v9 you can get adb then install z4 from adb and run it blind its going to be the very last thing on the very bottom of your apps list and the un root button is in the middle of the screen. Z4 doesnt take user input you just have to press a button.

Sorry, I'm not sure I know what you mean. I believe I can get into adb now (haven't tried since I got the phone back up and running) but I'm not sure how to install the app from adb. Regardless of where the app is on my list, how can I select it if I don't know where it is?

ichihollow

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, I'm not sure I know what you mean. I believe I can get into adb now (haven't tried since I got the phone back up and running) but I'm not sure how to install the app from adb. Regardless of where the app is on my list, how can I select it if I don't know where it is?

Pretty sure the command is adb insatall /sdcard/z4root.apk if you type adb help it will pull up a list of commands and how to use them.

Being that the apps list is sorted alphabetically z4 is going to be the bottom right most app. That being the case its going to take time and its going to be difficult and its going to take up to ten minuets per try. The way i look at it, you can keep bashing your head against the wall to try and get root in adb or you can go in blind. If i was you this is something i would try. Have you atleast tried from in vd to see if z4 works ive not heard either way.

csracing

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Pretty sure the command is adb insatall /sdcard/z4root.apk if you type adb help it will pull up a list of commands and how to use them.

Being that the apps list is sorted alphabetically z4 is going to be the bottom right most app. That being the case its going to take time and its going to be difficult and its going to take up to ten minuets per try. The way i look at it, you can keep bashing your head against the wall to try and get root in adb or you can go in blind. If i was you this is something i would try. Have you atleast tried from in vd to see if z4 works ive not heard either way.

Haven't tried z4 direct. Guess I could. I'll get the app installed and see what happens. I'll report back.

mercrapper

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site

I'm pretty sure that the you can interact with the screen, you just can't see anything. What you have to do is remember the procedure to flash update.zip when you get into recovery so you can root after downgrading to V9 because you will have to do this blind.

1 : Memorize (or write it down) the exact procedure in recovery to flash update.zip
2 : Revert to V9
3 : Reboot into recovery
4 : Perform procedure from step 1 above to flash update.zip
5 : Complete root using adb
6 : Flash a new recovery that has the correct drivers
7 : Flash the rom you want

ichihollow

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that the you can interact with the screen, you just can't see anything. What you have to do is remember the procedure to flash update.zip when you get into recovery so you can root after downgrading to V9 because you will have to do this blind.

1 : Memorize (or write it down) the exact procedure in recovery to flash update.zip
2 : Revert to V9
3 : Reboot into recovery
4 : Perform procedure from step 1 above to flash update.zip
5 : Complete root using adb
6 : Flash a new recovery that has the correct drivers
7 : Flash the rom you want

Yikes i didnt even think about this i dont know they're having problems flashing 9 or rooting once they're in 9, glad you pointed this out.

EDIT: just realized you dont have to flash v9 seeing as the rooting procedure is the exact same. I remember when the v9 radio came out after i had rooted with the adb method.

Last edited:

mercrapper

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Yikes i didnt even think about this i dont know they're having problems flashing 9 or rooting once they're in 9, glad you pointed this out.

It happened to me. I think I was the first to run into this problem (or at least report it here) ;-)

Lots of thanks to the many experts here for helping me get through it.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
That is the procedure that I followed. Got to the xonia flash and the wheels fell off from there. Somehow I got the phone to reboot by simply mashing random buttons..
I don't think you read RED warning #2 closely enough or you would have run Android Screencast and been able to view your phone's screen (running V9) on your PC. It makes it *much* easier to do things with your phone like run z4root.

csracing

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I don't think you read RED warning #2 closely enough or you would have run Android Screencast and been able to view your phone's screen (running V9) on your PC. It makes it *much* easier to do things with your phone like run z4root.

I really DID read it, several times from start to finish. Screencast would not work, kept getting some kind of error (don't remember what it said, sorry).

I agree that had it worked, this would have gone much smoother.

Won't have time to sit down with this again until the weekend. I'll try again.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I really DID read it, several times from start to finish. Screencast would not work, kept getting some kind of error (don't remember what it said, sorry).
If I were you, I would concentrate on figuring out why Android Screencast didn't work rather than trying to move on blindly using your screen.

That's just my suggestion. You are welcome to try doing everything blindly. It is doable.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
security exception:

java.net.malformedURLexception: unknown protocol: socket
Do you have the latest Java/JRE installed?

Screencast needs to download its jar file when it starts up. It sounds like either Java wasn't installed correctly or there is some classpath problem so it can't find stuff.

Also try what is suggested here (enable direct connection):
http://safeweb.tucloud.com/entries/...malformedurlexception-unknown-protocol-socket

I think they should have resolved that in the latest JRE but maybe not.

Last edited: