Please help-Bricked wife's phone

jparaja

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
No root yet. I was on LS670zvd and was reverting to V9. LG mobile tool said complete so i disconnected usb and display was blank. computer does not recognize phone.

00_wrath_00

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
V9 doesn't support the new LCD drivers. Try following the sticky on this site on rooting with Vd drivers. Read though it a few times. I had the same problem and that sticky saved me lol. Or check out the unbrick method for some forms of brick topic here that one works too if u can't get adb working.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jparaja

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I tried the unbrick instructions and still can't get computer to recognize phone. Is phone defective? can I get some detailed instructions on how to unbrick?

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Try using the Screencast application on your computer - its a java program...

The newer optimus lcd drivers weren't included in the v9 build...

google screencast - its an official google site that has the link.

as far as the computer not recognizing the phone, do you mean in adb or not at all?

in reality, you probably didn't brick it, you probably didn't read through the whole walkthrough, including the screen part... Its just not working correctly due to the drivers.

00_wrath_00

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
From the sound of it you ll probably have to get it in emergency mode.read the unbrick method for some forms of brick post and it will tell you how to do the steps. Unless someone else has a simplier solution.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

Robchaos_

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Does your phone still make noise and power on, just nothing displaying on the screen? Will the LG update tool allow you to flash it back to VD or does that not recognize the phone either?

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
As previously mentioned, it is useful to distinguish between a phone that won't boot from one that does boot, but just doesn't display. You can read the RED warning #2 in the revert thread for more details.

BTW Android Screencast won't work if you can't get adb working (which is probably the natural consequence of your computer not recognizing the phone), so you need to solve that first.

jparaja

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
when i type adb reboot, it says device not found. I went ahead and used optimus control center 1.1 and rooted to V8 but i still cant see anything. I tried force flashing to ZVD, but keep getting phone not connected error.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
when i type adb reboot, it says device not found. I went ahead and used optimus control center 1.1 and rooted to V8 but i still cant see anything. I tried force flashing to ZVD, but keep getting phone not connected error.
You haven't answered the critical question. When you say the screen is blank, did the phone actually boot, but just has a blank screen. You can tell it booted if you hear some startup sounds.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
When you turn the phone on, do you see the LG image, before it goes blank?

Can you boot into recovery? (turn phone off, then press home + vol- + power)

The revert process uses KP500 to invoke LG Mobile Updater. Were you at the step to revert to V9 or were you done with that step and were upgrading back to VD?

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
No LG image and i can't boot into recovery. buttons at bottom are lit
How are you turning off your phone to reboot? Pulling the battery? I'm asking because I don't think the power button will turn off the phone if you can't boot into Android.

I guess my hesitation is just saying your phone is totally bricked is it is rare for that to happen just from running the LG Mobile Updater tool

Also could you answer whether you were downgrading to V9 using KP500 or you were upgrading back to VD using LG Mobile Updater tool. The revert instructions don't actually ask you to run the LG Mobile Updater tool directly for the revert portion.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
No LG image and i can't boot into recovery. buttons at bottom are lit
How are you turning off your phone to reboot? Pulling the battery? I'm asking because I don't think the power button will turn off the phone if you can't boot into Android.

I guess my hesitation before just saying your phone is totally bricked is it is rare for that to happen just from running the LG Mobile Updater tool. It is far more likely it is an LCD driver problem being misinterpreted as a brick. It is even rarer for it to break both Android and your recovery.

Also could you answer whether you were downgrading to V9 using KP500 or you were upgrading back to VD using LG Mobile Updater tool. The revert instructions don't actually ask you to run the LG Mobile Updater tool directly for the revert portion and if you run LG Mobile Updater (as you described), it can only upgrade you to VD.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I pull the battery to turn the phone off and i was downgrading to V9 because i was on ZVD.
Ok, I just want to make sure because LG Mobile Updater tools is incapable of downgrading to ZV9 on its own and you didn't mention KP500. The reason I keep asking is, downgrading to ZV9, really the most likely answer is this is misdiagnosed LCD driver problem but if you were really running LG Mobile Updater directly, that would be an upgrade and it couldn't have been an LCD driver issue.

Have you gone into recovery before using home + vol- + power or is this the first time trying. The reason I ask is you actually need to hold down those buttons for a few seconds, not just press them to turn on the phone. If this was your first time, that point might have been glossed over causing a misdiagnosis of whether recovery is coming up or not.