[How-To] Rooting LS670ZVD with GingerBreak (no reverting and OTA works too!)

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Rooting the LG Optimus S with software version LS670ZVD

If using the command line scares the pants off of you and you do not want to take the time to do your homework, you may use Gingersnap, a one-click rooting utility.

[WARN]Certain anti-virus/anti-malware software are falsely reporting gingerbreak as a trojan/virus. That is because by definition it is. It exploits a security vulnerability in Android to give you a root shell. Please understand this important fact before telling me that I am distributing malware. Thanks for your understanding.[/WARN]
Big Fat Disclaimer:
1) Make sure you read this guide in it's entirety before attempting root.
2) If you need clarification on any of the steps outlined in this guide, ask before experimenting!
3) As with all Android modifications/tweaks, there is ALWAYS a risk of bricking your device. Make sure you understand all of the steps in this guide before attempting to root your device.
4) Last but not least, I am not responsible for bricks due to your mistakes! You are performing these steps at your own risk.

This guide will work no matter how you updated to LS670ZVD. Therefore KP500 is NOT needed whatsoever!

WARNING: If you screw up on ANY of these instructions, you will have to reboot your phone and try again starting from step 1!!!

NO LONGER RELEVANT: This guide assumes you have added the Android SDK tools directory to your PATH variable. Instructions for Windows 2000/XP can be found here. Instructions for Windows Vista/7 can be found here. With the latest version of the Android SDK, the default tools folder is "platform-tools" which is in the "Android\android-sdk-windows" folder in Program Files. With some versions of the Android SDK the default tools folder is simply "tools" which is in the "Android\android-sdk-windows" folder in Program Files. Your mileage may vary.
Techneek TV (mrinehart93) has a great video tutorial on how to do this in Windows Vista/7. Watch it here.

The su, busybox and gingerbreak binaries as well as the Superuser app are included in OptimusRootZVD.zip, which is attached to this post. The ADB binary can also be found in this file (you won't need ADB in the Windows PATH variable). Thanks DroidXcon!
Make sure you extract the files to an easily accessible folder.

Much kudos to Sebastian for releasing this exploit.

Special thanks to Nick7, Zefie, Beezy, KSmithInNY, and everyone else who tries so hard to free this awesome device from the hands of LG. You guys rock.

Now, on to the guide.

1) Fire up a terminal (cmd.exe on Windows)

2) Change to the directory where you extracted the files from OptimusRootZVD.zip
cd C:\wherever\you\put\the\files
3) Prepare the /data/local/tmp directory with write permissions (THIS IS REQUIRED!)
adb shell
rm -r /data/local/tmp
mkdir /data/local/tmp
exit
4) Push the required files to the /data/local/tmp directory
adb push gingerbreak /data/local/tmp/gingerbreak
adb push su /data/local/tmp/su
adb push busybox /data/local/tmp/busybox
adb push Superuser.apk /data/local/tmp/Superuser.apk
5) Fire up the shell
adb shell
6) Change to the /data/local/tmp directory
cd /data/local/tmp
7) Set correct permissions. REQUIRED: If you don't do this you will be slapped.
chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/*
8) Run gingerbreak (this can take a while, so please be patient. If it gets stuck for more than a few minutes, reboot your phone and try again from step 1. This will automatically give you a root shell if successful.)
./gingerbreak
If that doesn't work, you can try
/data/local/tmp/gingerbreak
9) Mount the /system partition read-write
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /system /system
10) Change to the /data/local/tmp directory
cd /data/local/tmp
11) Copy su and busybox to /system/bin
cat su > /system/bin/su
cat busybox > /system/bin/busybox
cat Superuser.apk > /data/app/Superuser.apk
12) Set correct permissions on su and busybox
chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox
13) Exit the shell
exit
exit
14) You're done! You may now reboot and have fun with your rooted Optimus!
If you followed all of the instructions correctly, Superuser has already been installed.

CUSTOM RECOVERY

Now that your phone is rooted, you may now install the Xionia CWMA recovery kernel.

You may elect to use drellisdee's Custom Recovery,
but it will cause issues if you have a device with the new LCD display (which means use Xionia CWMA unless you're feeling adventurous AND know exactly what you're doing) but Xionia CWMA is generally the better choice for most users. Drellisdee's Custom Recovery has been updated and doesn't have any LCD display issues anymore.

NANDROID BACKUP

Now that your phone is rooted and has a custom recovery kernel, you need to make a nandroid backup. Boot your phone into recovery mode by firing up a Windows command prompt and issue the following command:
adb reboot recovery
Your phone will reboot to recovery mode. Once it fully boots to recovery mode, navigate to "backup and restore", then "backup" and your phone will make a nandroid backup for use when you screw something up by being a NOOB.

Last edited:

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Any particular reason why Norton AV is reporting rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin as a Trojan.Gen.2?

rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin is not included. gingerbreak is. And technically they are both malware because they EXPLOIT the Android kernel. This has been discussed so many times it's not even funny.

BloodyHaze

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
H:\Root>adb shell
'adb' is not recognized as an internal or external command
operable program or batch file.

H:\Root>rm -r /data/local/tmp
'rm' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

H:\Root>mkdir /data/local/tmp
The syntax of the command is incorrect.

H:\Root>exit

Did i skip/do something wrong? :|

Reactions: Nickd010

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
H:\Root>adb shell
'adb' is not recognized as an internal or external command

H:\Root>rm -r /data/local/tmp
'rm' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

H:\Root>mkdir /data/local/tmp
The syntax of the command is incorrect.

H:\Root>exit

Did i skip/do something wrong? :|

Yeah you don't have the adb platform-tools in your PATH variable.

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Do you even have the platform-tools installed? If so, can you post (a) the full directory path to adb.exe and (b) the path that's in your PATH variable?

arnlib

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I was able to follow through to the last step. Now I am getting a notice saying

- "Removed SD card - SD Card removed. Insert a new one."

The card remained in the sd slot throughout without being touched. I tried to unmount and remount after getting this message. Notice persists. Any ideas what might be going on?

NOTE:
Step 4 instructs to
"adb push gingerbreak /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage"
Was it supposed to say
"adb push gingerbreak /data/local/tmp/gingerbreak"

Reactions: drewwalton19216801

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
NOTE:
Step 4 instructs to
"adb push gingerbreak /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage"
Was it supposed to say
"adb push gingerbreak /data/local/tmp/gingerbreak"

Hahaha whoops! I used the LS670ZVC guide as a template for this guide. I thought I'd fixed all those names, but I guess not. Nice catch!

Reactions: arnlib

Halucin8

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
1st time trying this

I didn't see anythign in your how-to about drivers should i be reading multiple posts or where do i get them and where should they be installed?

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
I didn't see anythign in your how-to about drivers should i be reading multiple posts or where do i get them and where should they be installed?

LG Mobile Support tool is what you want. I'm on my phone ATM so I can't post the link easily but google is your friend and so is the outdated ZVD rooting guide.

Your video card wont work without drivers and neither will your phone.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance