stock deodex theme template

sheit

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I am looking to flash the "de-odex'ed" stock template. Currently running V9 Stock rom rooted with custom recovery.

If I download the "stock deodex theme template", (from the theme thread) can I modify this removing the Sprint apks that are currently gone off my phone now?

W_Installer.apk
Sprint_App_Updater.apk
SprintZone.apk

Also Will i need to reinstall any apps or data after flashing the template?

Thanks again.

sheit

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Well i went ahead and tried it and failed. First failure was a message saying files were missing, obvioulsy because I removed them. I then went on and flashed it without removing the files, seemed to work but after the phone loaded half my apps were force closing.

Any ideas? help..... Would love to get this figured out so I am able to use the themes.

picasticks

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Well, depending on how versed you are in the ways of Linux, you could just deodex it yourself. I just did this yesterday (I used KP500 to force flash stock VD and wanted to start fresh) and it didn't take long. Here's a basic introduction.

I wrote a little script to deodex a single file. Nothing fancy but it works for me.

Code:
#!/bin/sh

# put the path to 'system/framework' here, i.e.:
BCP=../framework

ODEX=`echo $1 | sed 's/\.\(jar\|apk\)$//'`.odex
if [ -f "$ODEX" ] && [ -f "$1" ]; then
        baksmali -d "$BCP" -x $ODEX
        smali -o classes.dex out
        aapt add $1 classes.dex && rm $ODEX
        rm -r classes.dex out
fi

There were only 3 files I had to deodex manually (run baksmali with -c) ... sorry can't remember which ones but lge-res.apk was either one of them or the -c. The guide I linked explains how to figure out what to include with -c.

If all of that just made your head spin, you could just download a V9 ROM and rip the files you need out of system/app and system/framework. (Just make sure to replace *every* .jar/apk+.odex pair with a deodexed .jar/apk, leave no orphans behind). I've not tried that and it might not work, so no promises. Make backups of these dirs first!

sheit

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I will give this new "fixed" template a shot and post how it goes. May I ask what was changed in this file compared to the one posted on the THEME page.

Ryan.

EDIT*: Same issues with apps force closing - no connection when trying gmail - exchange email app wont work etc... I also still see odex files in system/app should that be the case?

Do i need to reinstall all apps? What about using titanium backup? connection issues...?

Last edited:

picasticks

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
EDIT*: Same issues with apps force closing - no connection when trying gmail - exchange email app wont work etc... I also still see odex files in system/app should that be the case?

No, if there are still odex files then they will be read instead of the dex inside the .jar/apks. That would possibly explain the other problems you are having.

sheit

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
So do you think the flash isnt taking? It has to be at least to some point to mess everything up.

Should i wipe data before flashing? and if so can i use titanium to bring my apps back or will that bring back odex issues?

picasticks

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
So do you think the flash isnt taking? It has to be at least to some point to mess everything up.

Should i wipe data before flashing? and if so can i use titanium to bring my apps back or will that bring back odex issues?
I haven't tried to flash it, I'd have to download the zip, open it and look in the update-script to even see what it's trying to do. So, Nick7 or somebody else will have to advise you on that. If you flash it and there are no error messages then it should have worked.

Don't wipe data as the zip is not a full ROM, it just replaces certain files. If you are sure that the flash is working, but also leaving the odex files behind, you could

rm /system/app/* /system/framework/*

prior to flashing or alternately

rm /system/app/*.odex /system/framework/*.odex

after flashing. Clear cache, dalvik and reboot.

sheit

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I tried to change the code in the update-script , but now it says it is not verified and fails. I have also tried your code to remove the files before flashing - but fails both in adb shell and in android terminal.

# rm /system/app/*.odex /system/framework/*.odex
rm /system/app/*.odex /system/framework/*.odex
rm failed for /system/app/AccountAndSyncSettings.odex, Read-only file system

EDIT*: used root explorer to delete files.

Last edited:

sheit

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Seemed to be working but i have no accounts and sync in the setting menu, unable to get any google applications to work.

I will restore for now and when i got more time I guess i will just figure out how to get to the VD baseband w/root so i can use the nameless rom instead.

Thanks for the help.

picasticks

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
If you are already rooted in V9, just use the LG updater and a Windows box to update to VD, then reboot recovery, then flash Nameless.

If you aren't rooted in V9, just use the LG updater and a Windows box to update to VD, then use the gingerbreak exploit to root the phone.

There are tutorial threads for both of these with all the details.

p.s. To rm the odex files like I explained before, remember that /system is mounted read-only. That is what "read-only filesystem" is trying to tell you. You just need to remount it rw before you can delete files. i.e.: mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system

sheit

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the help I did get the adb shell to work and remove the odex as you explained before I flashed the v9 stock deodexed template - but still alot of force closes for some reason.

So basically I am looking toward the "Nameless" rom instead. I am permanent root using z4 and added custom recovery on v9, so i can just use the update tool to get to vd and keep root?

Thanks again.

picasticks

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
So basically I am looking toward the "Nameless" rom instead. I am permanent root using z4 and added custom recovery on v9, so i can just use the update tool to get to vd and keep root?

Yes, just use the LG updater, it'll update you to V9 but not touch your custom recovery. The do "adb reboot recovery" do a full wipe and flash Nameless.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThatDude