drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
andro-no-border-transparent-72res-2.png

Gingersnap Root Utility
A Team AndrophilesTM Release
[INFO]About Gingersnap Root Utility:

[WARN]Optimus S Users:

Gingersnap Root Utility does not work with the latest (ZVH) software update![/WARN]
Gingersnap Root Utility uses a modified version of the famous GingerBreak exploit to automatically root your Android-powered device and installs the necessary files to maintain a permanent root status.

Just make sure you have the pre-use requirements met, download the version appropriate for your OS, run the program and click Root. It's that simple![/INFO]
[INFO]Important Announcement!

As some of you may have noticed, the Mac OS X and Windows versions of Gingersnap Root Utility is now under the Team Androphiles brand. We are working hard to bring the Linux version of Gingersnap up to par with the Mac version, as well as adding appropriate Team Androphiles branding.[/INFO]
[WARN]Recently I have noticed that Gingersnap is being shared through websites other than Android Central and Androphiles.com that have not been attributed according to the software license governing this software. Please be aware that distributions of Gingersnap Root Utility that do not abide by the software license may contain malware and should not be trusted.[/WARN]
[INFO]Copyright Information:

Binary Distribution rules:
You may freely distribute the Gingersnap Root Utility as long as you abide by these simple rules.

1) You may not modify the Gingersnap Root Utility in any way.
2) You may not use the Gingersnap Root Utility for a commercial purpose whether or not any profit is gained.
3) You must attribute your distribution of Gingersnap Root Utility by specifying clearly that Gingersnap Root Utility is a product of Team Androphiles. You must also include a link to the Team Androphiles website (http://www.androphiles.com).

Meaning of No Derivatives:
Without going into too much detail, the license which the Gingersnap Root Utility falls under states that you are not allowed to create what are called derivative works. Basically, you are not allowed to use Gingersnap Root Utility or any of it's internal resources (including scripts) in a product which is not a direct redistribution of Gingersnap Root Utility.

tl;dr:
Don't use our work in your own software! This includes the two included shell scripts (com.sh and unroot.sh). WRITE YOUR OWN!
[/INFO]
[WARN]Gingersnap (along with all other Android modifications) is experimental software and while I have made this as safe as possible, differences in operating environments and natural disasters can cause your device to become unusable. Please make sure you understand this important fact before downloading.

Neither myself, Android Central or any other member of Android Central are responsible for any disasters that occur as a result of any hack or modification you perform on your device. Your use of this application is at your own risk![/WARN]
If you are reporting an issue, please clearly state the version of Gingersnap you are using, as well as the OS you are using it on. Also, please do not quote this first post as it can make the thread long and confusing to read.

For Windows
Pre-use Requirements: 1) You need the .NET 4 Framework. Not the Client Profile, the full .NET 4 Framework. 2) For some reason you need the Visual C++ 2008 redistributable installed. Don't ask me why. 3) You need proper drivers for your device. Your video card doesn't work without drivers and neither will your phone. 4) Your device needs to have USB debugging enabled. 5) Gingersnap should be used ONLY on a fresh reboot of your device. If you don't know what this means, reboot your phone before using this utility! Download: Download Here Changelog: Gingersnap V1.2 -- Initial release (05-19-2011) Gingersnap V1.2.1 -- Superuser.apk now installed to /data/app to allow future removals (05-21-2011) Gingersnap V2.0 -- Team Androphiles branding, add unroot process (07-24-2011)

For Linux
Pre-use Requirements: 1) You need GTK+ 2.5.10 or later 2) Your device needs to have USB debugging enabled. 3) Gingersnap should be used ONLY on a fresh reboot of your device. If you don't know what this means, reboot your phone before using this utility! [NOTE]Ubuntu users only: If you are using Ubuntu, versions less than 11.04 have a "bug" that requires you to add a udev rule to use the Android Debug Bridge (and therefore Gingersnap) as a non-root user. Instructions on this can be found here. If you are using Ubuntu 11.04 (with the latest updates), this does not apply.[/NOTE] Download: Download Here Changelog: Gingersnap V1.2 -- Initial release (05-19-2011) Gingersnap V1.2.1 -- Superuser.apk now installed to /data/app to allow future removals (05-21-2011) Gingersnap V1.3 -- Added unroot option, root process cleans up better (05-24-2011) Gingersnap V2.0 -- Team Androphiles branding, add unroot process (07-24-2011)

For Mac OS X
Pre-use Requirements: 1) You need Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.0 or later (it is recommended to use the latest update, 10.6.8 as of the time of this writing) 2) Your device needs to have USB debugging enabled. 3) Gingersnap should be used ONLY on a fresh reboot of your device. If you don't know what this means, reboot your phone before using this utility! Download: Download Here Changelog: Gingersnap V2.0 -- Initial public release of the Mac OS X version! (07-13-2011)

[INFO]Credits:
Gingersnap Utility: Me
GingerBreak exploit: C-Skills (Sebastian)
Autoroot shell script (com.sh): Droidxcon
MAJOR thanks to jondevere for being my personal guinea pig![/INFO]
[TIP]The modified GingerBreak source code is attached to this post. The filename is gingerbreak-mod-gs-src.zip[/TIP]

Last edited:

sonicbluemustang

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Well I just wished I had more phones to break. :)
I would play but I dont have any more phones. I might buy a Nexus for my son, it comes out soon. :)
If anybody wants to loan me a phone to hack an support my addiction just call me. :)

jondevere

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Does this Ginger have a soul? Oh its Ginger break. So yea still no souls. :) keep up the good work. Automation will be that bomb but code is more important. Get a book and read or u could always go fly a kite :p

jcwxguy

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I will give it a try here in about 10 min (unrooting + returning to stock)

edit: only took 10min to unroot and return to stock

Last edited:
Reactions: dvaeason

jcwxguy

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
unroot process works as well (once again, takes a min or two for it to boot all the way )

Drivers for phone

download .NET 4 framework
-after this is installed, then your computer will reboot (probably ask you to)
then
download and install Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package

Now run gingersnap (extracted from here )

then after your phone reboots (takes a min or two) run your adb shell, the type su (watch your phone when you do this, then allow) You are now rooted!!

Now that your phone is rooted, you may now install the [Custom Recovery] Xionia Clockwork (CWMA v1.2518.6) -in signature

Last edited:
Reactions: dvaeason

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Hello i am using 2.2.2version help me to root

Sent from my LG-P500 using Tapatalk

That's what Gingersnap does. It helps you to root your device. Ladies and gentlemen, we have our first Rule 4 violator! Public humiliation time.

krish.ak: Read the first post from the first word to the last word. Do you understand now? Gingersnap ROOTS YOUR PHONE WITHOUT YOU NEEDING TO MESS WITH THE COMMAND LINE.

What Gingersnap does NOT do however is help you with your reading skills. School was supposed to take care of that.

Rule 4) Failure to abide by the above three rules (mainly the first two) will result in public humiliation. No exceptions. You were warned.

Reactions: thenameisnigel

2kmy477

May 27, 2010
Visit site
*TESTING TESTING TESTING TESTING TESTING TESTING TESTING* *THIS MAY BREAK YOUR PHONE*

With that out of the way, I'd like to introduce you to Gingersnap. Gingersnap is the most simple application I have ever built. What does it do? Well, it helps you root your phone!

There's a secret though. Gingersnap (in it's current form) doesn't actually root your phone. All Gingersnap does right now is install the Gingerbreak APK and run it for you. Until the GingerBreak process can be automated (it can be, it's just a little more difficult than I had hoped), this is all you're going to get.

There are 4 rules to using this utility:
Rule 1) DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT post in ANY rooting guide thread about issues you have pertaining to use of this utility.
Rule 2) Unless your issue has something to do with this utility specifically, DO NOT post your rooting woes in this thread. Meaning: if the Gingerbreak app fails to work, go bother Chainfire and not me.
Rule 3) If you are new to Android, I HIGHLY suggest you grab yourself some good reading material and read till your eyes pop out instead of taking the easy way.
Rule 4) Failure to abide by the above three rules (mainly the first two) will result in public humiliation. No exceptions. You were warned.

Pre-use Requirements:
1) You need the .NET 4 Framework. Not the Client Profile, the full .NET 4 Framework.
2) For some reason you need the Visual C++ 2008 redistributable installed. Don't ask me why.
3) You need proper drivers for the LG Optimus S. Your video card doesn't work without drivers and neither will your phone.

Credits:
Gingersnap Utility: Me
GingerBreak APK: Chainfire
GingerBreak exploit: C-Skills (Sebastian)
Thanks to jcwxguy for being the guinea pig for the APK-based utility.

Think you're ready? The file is attached to this post.

Where can I find the LG Optimus S drivers?anyone has the link?

Kloned

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Am I blind?

Seems as though the .zip from post #1 is no longer there? Have I been at this too long and just can not see it or am I being really dumb?

**Ignore this I was being really dumb...

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad