Rooting and Roms

jlee29382

May 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the android OS and smartphones in general. I own an LG Optimus S, and I really like it, but the internal memory is kind of horrible. I want to root my phone to free up some internal memory and get rid of Sprint ID, so I'm in the process of doing that.

What I want to ask is what exactly should I do after rooting my phone? My friends have told me to get overclock and a mod. I wanted to get cyanogenmod, but that's not supported on my phone (yet). Which mod should I get?

Thanks for the help :3

psaurus81

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
You'll need to install a custom recovery first.

Cyanogenmod is actually available for our phones but there are a few key features that don't work properly yet. I use NamelessRom v2.1 and I love it. ShellRom is brand new and looks very interesting. I'd do a bit of reading about each and decide which one suits you best. :)

jondevere

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Ok.. you can have CM7 if you dont mind that some things are a lil buggy. RebornROM is the SHIZ rite now tho. Dont use ShellROM unless u want a super stripped down ROM to edit to your own liking. Once you root you need to create a custom recovery. Once you have Root and Custom Recovery, then you can go shopping for a ROM. With all the custom ROM's you will have PLENTY of space on your phone. Over 100 Megs. Get Rooted, then go from there tho. Use Xionia Recovery IMO.

Reactions: jgdiaz731

baldboy800

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I had a bad go 'round when I rooted, but it took several hours to get everything up and running. It should be easier now using Gingerbreak. Totally worth it once you're finished though. I ran out of space on my rig after 2 weeks, and I'm pretty conservative with what I put on. After rooting, custom recovery, and RebornROM, I had over 100 MB free. Add to that the ability to over/underclock and the phone rocks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37