Setting Voice Dialer and Voicemail in custom roms

the_maplebar

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I moved off of the stock rom a last week and I'm loving it. The phone is faster and more stable now. I just have a couple of convenience issues that would be really nice if there is a way to hack the settings.

1) Voice Dialer action - I use a bluetooth headset to make a lot of calls in the car and I used to be able to make calls using the voice command button on my headset. This used Sprint's voice command (which is not installed I think?), but it would be really nice to use Google voice actions instead.

2) Speed Dial 1 to go to voicemail - I switched to Google Voice for voicemails a few weeks ago in anticipation of rooting and using custom rom's. I realize that mostly I'll be using the google voice app which downloads the voicemails, but for years I've been able to hold down 1 to go to voicemail for settings or whatever and now it goes to Sprint's voicemail which is not in use.

Reactions: TPeterson94070

the_maplebar

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
After some digging around I found the solution to the voice command. In my testing Google Voice Actions would not pickup anything from the bluetooth mic (even with A2DP), so I figured I should just go back to Sprint Voice Dialer.

There is a flashable zip in the nROM thread.
There are also instructions in the RebornRom thread for installing the apk without resetting the custom button mappings

I realize that this information has been posted before, but it would be nice if these common modifications were put someplace prominent for those of us who weren't active back when these now dead ROM's were started.

Titus37

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks a lot for calling attention to these instructions! After installing Reborn ROM, I missed the voice dialer. I now have the Voice Dialer working when I long press the voice dial button. When I hit the Bluetooth button, nothing happens, though. Is there a way to make the Bluetooth button work again?

Titus37

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
How is this for strange? The first day I used the newly installed Voice Dialer, my bluetooth headset could not activate it. Today, when I pushed the bluetooth button, Voice Dialer came up. CRAZY!!!!

Reactions: TPeterson94070

the_maplebar

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Glad to hear it's working. Good to know that someone else finds these instructions useful. I have also switched over to using Dialer One. This has speed dials built in along with smart T9 searching. I have a couple speed dials set, but I have not looked further into changing the speed dial for 1 to go to Google Voicemail.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21