Optimus S on Metro PCS (How to get web/mms working?)

regime2008

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know how to help me with this? I am willing to donate money via paypal. At least 20 bucks. It seems like not many people have a solution to this, that are actually willing to share :( :(.

Anyways thanks guys, p.s. LOVE the community here. I have successfully rooted my phone and installed CM7. LOVE IT!!!

uberjam545

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
it might be a problem with the flash of the ROM I'm not sure what Metro PCS is (i also never really used cm7 alot either) but i can tell you that just the other day i was having problems with mms using reborn rom and a dirty flash fixed it up maybe its worth trying that or even a whole clean flash

regime2008

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Sorry I forgot to add in these details. They flashed the phone with just the basic settings (talk and txt). But didnt alter the rom or anything. They flashed the settings when it was fresh out of the sprint box. (Optimus S) I have since rooted the phone and put on the Cm7 gingerbread rom (LOVE IT btw)

I just need someone to help me figure out how to use cdma workshop (to actually get it working *license key or something invalid)

timkaetzel

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Sorry I forgot to add in these details. They flashed the phone with just the basic settings (talk and txt). But didnt alter the rom or anything. They flashed the settings when it was fresh out of the sprint box. (Optimus S) I have since rooted the phone and put on the Cm7 gingerbread rom (LOVE IT btw)

I just need someone to help me figure out how to use cdma workshop (to actually get it working *license key or something invalid)

There are two different ports of CM7 for our phone - Zefie's "Scott Pilgrim" version, and then the aospC version. If you go to About Phone under Settings and you see anything about aospC, then MMS will not work. Unfortunately, that has nothing to do with the provider, the ROM itself doesn't support MMS :/ if that is a major drawback, flash to Zefie's version; keep in mind that you may need to do a full data wipe since it's a different, less-recent version of Gingerbread.

Do you have network connection at all to MetroPCS? Can you make calls?

regime2008

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I can make calls and send text messages but it send as if metro pcs retailers will NOT enable data and mms on phones that were from other providers over to metro, :( but I do have the plan that supports web browsing, just need to do something with cdma workshop which I can't find a working version for...

AndroidPoker

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Hi. I'm in the same boat myself. I just got me a couple of LG Optimus S's and was told by MetroPCS stores that only the voice/txt is enabled for other provider's phones converted to their network. I'll be putting CM7 on these phones and see how it activates and post back.

In the meantime, if anyone knows a way around this, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for all the help guys! The community is awesome!

regime2008

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Thats what I was told...but I have looked on other sites such as craigslist, and found many people who flash phones. But pretty much all of them do it phone specific...havent seen any but one for the optimus s. And that was from some guy on youtube, who wants to charge a good amount to get it working....so...guess we will have to wait till someone can provide a fix... Once I find out, I will make a FREE guide so that there aren't any people stuck in this same boat. -____-

m4f1050

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: Optimus S on Metro PCS (How to get web/mms working?!?)

For Data use CDMA Workshop, enter in the EVDO section username is your phone # @mymetropcs.com and your password get the MSL from your MEID/ESN off of whiterabbit website, write them to phone, then download APN Backup & Restore and restore metropcsAPNs.xml from /sdcard/ApnBackupRestore folder.

I can't upload...but search for it, you will find it. I still haven't gotten MMS to work though..

regime2008

May 24, 2011
Visit site

My settings never stick though.... once they are written, the phone restarts, and back to the spring user name

regime2008

May 24, 2011
Visit site

OMG it worked!?!? Some how it worked! I flashed the new cm7 rom thats floating around on these forums after a million times of trying to stick the settings in qpst! Once I flashed the updated rom, I noticed a 1x bar in the top of the screen....with wifi off, I tried loading up google, voila, then did a little surfing...slow but still WORKING internet!

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

My settings never stick though.... once they are written, the phone restarts, and back to the spring user name

That is what Optimus V users are reporting too, but there must be a way to make this work. They sell boost mobile converted Optimus phones on ebay.

...And I spoke too soon. Congrats! So did the settings actually stick or is 1x just magically working?

regime2008

May 24, 2011
Visit site

That is what Optimus V users are reporting too, but there must be a way to make this work. They sell boost mobile converted Optimus phones on ebay.

...And I spoke too soon. Congrats! So did the settings actually stick or is 1x just magically working?

They somehow sticked. The phone has restarted at least 5 times just to make sure lol. But I am bout to check my mms settings, downloading apn back up/restore on this crappy 1x as we speak, but hey, I wont complain. Will post back what version of qpst I used and my method once I get to sit down at my laptop today.

m4f1050

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site

Try erasing NVItem 39939 (you can read it, 00 it out then rewrite it but do this after you write your new settings)

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

Try erasing NVItem 39939 (you can read it, 00 it out then rewrite it but do this after you write your new settings)

How do you even access a NVitem that high? CDMA workshop is limited to NVitem #'s with 4 digits.

Update!
Holly crap, it worked!

I did it using QXDM and QPST.

1. Download these rar'ed text files: Qualcomm.rar
  2. Place them inside C:\Users\Public\Documents\Qualcomm\QXDM\Vendor\Qualcomm\
  3. Overwriting the original files. If they fail to overwrite the files, right click Diag.txt, select properties and uncheck "read only". Do the same for NVItem,txt.
  4. Open QXDM
  5. If your phone isn't already recognized and connected, Go to Options > Communications and select the appropriate Target Port.
  6. Once connected, under view, select NV Browser.
  7. Scroll all the way down to item 39939.
  8. Hit read. Take note of the values, and then turn them to zero.
  9. Hit Write.
  10. Next, without touching anything else, open QPST Service Programming.
  11. Select Read, enter your MSL.
  12. Edit M.IP and PPP Config - AN entries to your desire.
  13. Hit Write and Enjoy!

Last edited:

ngmanis

May 26, 2011
Visit site
If you are using metropcs' unlimited plan then you will only be able to obtain 1x data...this is why their unlimited plan includes unlimited internet at such a cheap price.

Sent from my LG-LS670 using Tapatalk

m4f1050

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site

How do you even access a NVitem that high? CDMA workshop is limited to NVitem #'s with 4 digits.

Update!
Holly crap, it worked!

I did it using QXDM and QPST.

1. Download these rar'ed text files: Qualcomm.rar
  2. Place them inside C:\Users\Public\Documents\Qualcomm\QXDM\Vendor\Qualcomm\
  3. Overwriting the original files. If they fail to overwrite the files, right click Diag.txt, select properties and uncheck "read only". Do the same for NVItem,txt.
  4. Open QXDM
  5. If your phone isn't already recognized and connected, Go to Options > Communications and select the appropriate Target Port.
  6. Once connected, under view, select NV Browser.
  7. Scroll all the way down to item 39939.
  8. Hit read. Take note of the values, and then turn them to zero.
  9. Hit Write.
  10. Next, without touching anything else, open QPST Service Programming.
  11. Select Read, enter your MSL.
  12. Edit M.IP and PPP Config - AN entries to your desire.
  13. Hit Write and Enjoy!

If you have CDMA Workshop 3.5.x (not the one floating around 2.70) then you can read/write 5 digit NVItems... Great news you got it working and thanks for writting an alternative way! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs