Why can't android dual boot? or how can you?

joshb2118

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I really like android, but of course I am using a optimus s, and i wanted to know if it is possible to dual boot? if yes, how? if no, why not? I love that HD2, booting like 5 different OS, and that big o screen and processor, its beatiful, but for now, i would like to know about dual boot, at least to dual boot two different ROMs, but I reall y want OS's

mrinehart93

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
You CAN dualboot... it's possible. I was looking into ways to do it way back when I had the HTC Hero and started the project on porting WebOS. The problem is mainly getting drivers to work :p The HD2 can dualboot so many different OS's because it's dev community is MASSIVE.

the_maplebar

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I've wondered about that too. Dual booting different ROM's would be great. I guess it's not too difficult to switch ROMs using nandroid backups.

Really the other thing that would be associated with dual booting is to boot to boot from a ROM completely off the SD Card. That is how XDAndroid boots on my TouchPro2. Booting off the SD Card means that the system memory is only limited by the size of the sd card. My system memory is much better now that I have RebornROM, but I still only get the free Amazon app of the day that I will actually use, now if I had 8GB of system memory....

mrinehart93

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
there is a dual boot script got the HTC hero. I could take a look at porting it if you'd like. its only for android roms tho.

sblood86

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
there is a dual boot script got the HTC hero. I could take a look at porting it if you'd like. its only for android roms tho.

I was under the impression dual booting would require modified custom recovery being that the recovery is what actually works as a bootloader, so I wonder how a script would accomplish this. Despite my skepticism, I would still love to see it working ;)

joshb2118

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
if we could dual boot, there would way more things for devs to create, a port of windows 7 would be raw, i dont get how the hd2 can get windows 7 thou, isnt that like copyright? Still encouraging anyone who does find a way to dual boot...

likearaptor

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
I've been dual booting my NookColor for the past 7 months. First OS is Cyanogenmod 7 and the other is the stock OS. To boot to the second OS I just push and hold the "n" button. So it is possible with any android device