Installing Debian Squeeze on Android Optimus S - Walkthrough

uamadman

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm actually trying to get the Ubuntu Jaunty Version working at the moment. Everything appears to be intact but when i go to upgrade I get errors. My current goal is Ubuntu 10+ since flash seems to have more support coming from that direction.

Good Luck and Post your results :)

bigsupersquid on XDA just offered up a more friendly gui you might be interested in on my post over there.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm actually trying to get the Ubuntu Jaunty Version working at the moment. Everything appears to be intact but when i go to upgrade I get errors. My current goal is Ubuntu 10+ since flash seems to have more support coming from that direction.

Good Luck and Post your results :)

bigsupersquid on XDA just offered up a more friendly gui you might be interested in on my post over there.
if I browsed the S forum over here more often I'd have contributed earlier. I usually hang over in the V section, though.
at some rev ubuntu dropped support for the armv6 in our optimuses (optimi?)
you'll want to check on that.
@trekkie, while bash will run in the terminal, you also have to set some system variables and a full path to the linux system, (and have the loop image mounted :p), then you must
Code:
chroot /path/to/image /bin/bash
to be running in linux instead of just changing the shell you are using in terminal.

Last edited:
Reactions: uamadman

uamadman

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I've been researching a bunch and trying things. I couldn't get jaunty or karmic to install tightvncserver. I think it has something to do with the sources.list.

I've read in a couple places that the ARMv6 was dropped, but then i read some bug fix forums saying natty 32bit was fixed to be compatible with both ARMv6 and v7.

I don't know enough to simply DL and install it. so more research ^.^

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
did the package manager say it couldn't find tightvncserver?
you can try this:
first off, make sure /etc/apt/sources.list has the lines uncommented (and present) for deb-src and not just deb.
you can duplicate your deb line(s) with deb-src at the beginning, for example:
Code:
deb http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy main restricted universe multiverse 
deb-src http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy main restricted universe multiverse
this probably doesn't match yours but should demonstrate the basic idea.
Code:
cd /tmp
apt-get update
apt-get build-dep tightvncserver
apt-get source tightvncserver -b
to build it from source. it'll take a while.
then ls /tmp to see the full name of the .deb
Code:
dpkg -i filename.deb
where filename.deb is the name of the package your system just built in /tmp
to install.
good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: uamadman

uamadman

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
4 Steps to Linux on your Optimus S

Pre-Installed Requirements:
Kernel/Recovery: Xionia CWMA v1.2518.6
ROM:The Scott Pilgrim ROM (CM7 Gingerbread, Zefie Edition)

1. Download
Debian Squeeze 138MB - Basic install. 1.5gb .loop drive no packages installed.

Scheduled: Debian Squeeze - Pre-installed with tightvncserver/lxde/get-flash-plugins with hulu support requires 3gb of space.

Optimus_S_Xionia-cm7-Debian-Restore 101MB

2 Extract
Extract debiansqueeze.zip to the root of your sd card
Extract Optimus_S_Xionia-cm7_7-04282011backup.zip into /clockworkmod/backup/

3 Back up everything

4 Boot Recovery and Flash Restore

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
hey, nice simplification.
might want to list specifics of what people will get (in debian) when they flash that.
oh, and did you register the google sync on that before backup? if you did, the system'll have personal data embedded. I was oblivious and posted a system dump from my ln510 I thought was clean on another forum and months later was informed it wasn't as clean as I thought and had to remove the upload for personal privacy/safety.
I really liked zefie's work, then he got his S smashed and moved on to some new device and stopped devving stuff translated for the V.

athanos

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm working on picking where zefie left off, but keep getting a "make: no rule to make target bacon" error I'm trying to track down. Something changed in CM sources to cause the error and so far none of the CM community has responded to my request for help.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm working on picking where zefie left off, but keep getting a "make: no rule to make target bacon" error I'm trying to track down. Something changed in CM sources to cause the error and so far none of the CM community has responded to my request for help.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

good to hear you're picking up the torch :cool:
I couldn't get xionia kernel to compile from his github source either, but that could've been my noobishness getting in the way. the makefile was looking for stuff in /home/zefie and I am too new to the process to fix it :-\
best of luck.

uamadman

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
hey, nice simplification.
might want to list specifics of what people will get (in debian) when they flash that.
oh, and did you register the google sync on that before backup? if you did, the system'll have personal data embedded.

I'll update the post in a bit later tonight and I'll be adding a download with vncserver and the gui installed plus maybe synaptic.
I built the the restore without adding any personal info. installed from .spk and never had to touch any of the Google features.

I nailed down the reason why my cpu was pegged out, there was an issue the first time i did my lxde install, every install after has been much better. On top of that i figured a way to make the linux installer more tolerable and will be updating the diy.

uamadman

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Updated the Original Walk-through for spelling, accuracy and updated a few bug work-arounds/fixes.

Last edited:

uamadman

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
This is still alive. I'm working on a few things. :) Stay tuned.

note to self: sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/$(lsb_release -cs).list --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list && sudo apt-get -q update && sudo apt-get --yes -q --allow-unauthenticated install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get -q update

Last edited:

eko3484

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure if this is the place to ask for help, but I did everything and installed it. The only problem is that the desktop is all white lol it isn't there. Everything seems like it worked though. Any advice? Should I start over?

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure if this is the place to ask for help, but I did everything and installed it. The only problem is that the desktop is all white lol it isn't there. Everything seems like it worked though. Any advice? Should I start over?
it sounds like you don't have a desktop manager installed. if you tap the screen and see a black "X" for a cursor then you need a package like xfce or gnome installed.

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
4 Steps to Linux on your Optimus S

Pre-Installed Requirements:
Kernel/Recovery: Xionia CWMA v1.2518.6
ROM:The Scott Pilgrim ROM (CM7 Gingerbread, Zefie Edition)

1. Download
Debian Squeeze 138MB - Basic install. 1.5gb .loop drive no packages installed.

Scheduled: Debian Squeeze - Pre-installed with tightvncserver/lxde/get-flash-plugins with hulu support requires 3gb of space.

Optimus_S_Xionia-cm7-Debian-Restore 101MB

2 Extract
Extract debiansqueeze.zip to the root of your sd card
Extract Optimus_S_Xionia-cm7_7-04282011backup.zip into /clockworkmod/backup/

3 Back up everything

4 Boot Recovery and Flash Restore

This didn't seem to install debian for me... I'm not sure what happened...

uamadman

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
it seems like my instructions were a little mis-informative.

Did you unzip the squeeze.zip file and place it on the root of your SDCard?

if not try again, open your terminal emulator and type linuxboot

uamadman

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
When you run linuxboot it should replace itself with the following line in your terminal emulator.

root@Linux-ARMEL:/

if it does all is golden :)

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Get a greyish screen in vnc AND
Getting this in terminal:
$ export PATH=/data/local/bin:$PATH
$ linuxboot
Linux LOOP FILE ALREADY MOUNTED !
Starting Linux without mount anything.
To exit Linux, exit all thread and
exit the FIRST bootdeb at LAST !!!
/dev/block/loop0: 0 /mnt/sdcard/Linux.loop
/data/data/com.galoula.LinuxInstall/bin/busybox LOOP FILE IN USE MOUNTED !
/usr/sbin/startdeb: 2: /etc/init.d/ssh: not found
root@Linux-ARMEL:/# vncserver -geometry 600x480xauth: (argv):1: bad display name "Linux-ARMEL:2" in "add" command

New 'X' desktop is Linux-ARMEL:2

Starting applications specified in /root/.vnc/xstartup
Log file is /root/.vnc/Linux-ARMEL:2.log

root@Linux-ARMEL:/#