I need help making a Custom Recovery for my Optimus S

CCGOD

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
As I just found out about rooting and such, I found the Reborn Rom and really wanted to install it on my Optimus S. I rooted my phone with GingerSnap, and its supposed to be rooted fine. I need to update the baseband, but in order to do that it says you need to make a nandroid and custom recovery, but I can't seem to figure this step out. Because whenever I try and type the code into the Adb shell, it says that the permission isn't granted or not allowed, and it won't let me flash it. I was using the the latest Xionia CMA. Can someone please help me because I've searched everywhere to figure this out, and I don't want to brick my phone!

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
As I just found out about rooting and such, I found the Reborn Rom and really wanted to install it on my Optimus S. I rooted my phone with GingerSnap, and its supposed to be rooted fine. I need to update the baseband, but in order to do that it says you need to make a nandroid and custom recovery, but I can't seem to figure this step out. Because whenever I try and type the code into the Adb shell, it says that the permission isn't granted or not allowed, and it won't let me flash it. I was using the the latest Xionia CMA. Can someone please help me because I've searched everywhere to figure this out, and I don't want to brick my phone!

Before you follow the Xionia CWMA instructions, fire up the adb shell and execute "su" (without quotes) to get a root (#) shell, then follow the Xionia instructions.

CCGOD

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Okay so I did that, and it said permission denied. So I'm pretty sure I must have done something wrong in the other steps then. Can you help me out? :confused:

sblood86

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Okay so I did that, and it said permission denied. So I'm pretty sure I must have done something wrong in the other steps then. Can you help me out? :confused:

Make sure your phone screen is on and when you get a prompt from superuser allow that.

CCGOD

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
okay so i finally figured out that I needed to download superuser :/ fail. Aha so i typed in the custom recovery stuff for xionia, and it rebooted my phone and put it into android system recovery, but its still the LG one. It says:
Reboot system now
apply sdcard:update.zip
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition
Im lost at this point aha :confused:

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
okay so i finally figured out that I needed to download superuser :/ fail. Aha so i typed in the custom recovery stuff for xionia, and it rebooted my phone and put it into android system recovery, but its still the LG one. It says:
Reboot system now
apply sdcard:update.zip
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition
Im lost at this point aha :confused:

Gingersnap installs Superuser for you... which means you are NOT rooted. Try Gingersnap again, or use the manual rooting guide.

That's why the custom recovery didn't flash. Because you aren't rooted.

CCGOD

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
So I rerooted it with GingerSnap, and the same thing happened when I went through the steps with Xionia Recovery. The LG one still came up. The reason I didn't root manually was because I can't seem to figure what the OptimusRootZVD.zip is.

CCGOD

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
nevermind i'm an idiot. The reason it wasn't working was because I had the phone connected through usb storage!!! I worked fine after I disabled. Finally I figured it out.:'(

CCGOD

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
wait can someone help me? I made the custom recovery and everything, then I wiped my data and cache partition, but when i went to install from zip for the RebornRom, it keeps saying installation aborted, unknown error. It says it can't open /sdcard/update.zip. I need my phone quickly, and I don't know what to do!!

jondevere

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Lol relaxed... Don't use update.zip option. Choose install from SD card. Then choose zip from SD

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

jondevere

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
You are attempting to install an update.zip file and its not that. Take a deep breath and look at your options :) I know u can do it

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

ath3nos

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
wait can someone help me? I made the custom recovery and everything, then I wiped my data and cache partition, but when i went to install from zip for the RebornRom, it keeps saying installation aborted, unknown error. It says it can't open /sdcard/update.zip. I need my phone quickly, and I don't know what to do!!

First, it depends on which recovery you have loaded. If you flashed Xionia recovery then from recovery menu select 'install zip from sd card', then 'choose zip'. From there select the rom. I don't run Reborn so I am not sure what the name of the file is exactly, but it won't be update.zip. You probably selected the option to flash the update.zip, which you don't have on your sd card.

CCGOD

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Okay so i figured that part out and went into install zip from sdcard, and then from there i went to choose zip from sdcard right? And the only file I could find was under /data, /local, and i pressed on the bootanimation. Then it said signature was not verified so it aborted. Then I went to the main screen and pressed toggle signature verifications to disable it. When i choose bootanimation again it said that it installed it, but it only took 20 secs at most. Did I do something wrong in there?

ath3nos

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Okay so i figured that part out and went into install zip from sdcard, and then from there i went to choose zip from sdcard right? And the only file I could find was under /data, /local, and i pressed on the bootanimation. Then it said signature was not verified so it aborted. Then I went to the main screen and pressed toggle signature verifications to disable it. When i choose bootanimation again it said that it installed it, but it only took 20 secs at most. Did I do something wrong in there?

You don't flash the bootanimation. It sounds like you do not have the rom file on your sd card. If you have the rom file on your computer you can plug your phone in and go to the mounts portion in recovery, mount the usb and open it on your computer just like any other folder. Drag the rom file to the sd card and then umount it and look for the zip again.

CCGOD

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I think thats where I got screwed up, because my computer automatically opened it in Winrar, and I extracted it to the root of my sd card instead of copying it. What do I do now then?