Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #26  

Default Re: [BRICK WARNING] - Do NOT use Rom Manager on the Optimus S

Quote Originally Posted by turbo talon dl View Post
    So is there a way to COMPLETELY repair the damage to the recovery? I understand enough to break the phone so I could probably learn how to fix it. Gotta figure out how to get back into adb shell.
    Xionia Recovery thread...

[Custom Recovery] Xionia Clockwork (CWMA v1.2518.6)
    Thanked by:
    turbo talon dl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jondevere View Post
    I successfully recovered from ROM Manager after many hours of failing on my own. Jondevere saved my stupid @$$ from buying another phone. I had files in the wrong place and didnt extract properly. Didnt accept the super user because the screen kept locking up, and I want typing adb shell some of the time and getting the $ and # signs. The Xionia Clockwork recovery works well and my phone was back to the reboot screen. Just make sure all the files are sent directly to the F:\ (root). Jondevere pretty much talked me through the process and helped me figure out where and when I was going wrong. Communication is key and small details can make a world of difference. Describe exactly how, where, and what you're doing and placing things. Who woulda thought that one out of eight bits can cause a problem?

Yes, I wish I had read this as well. Here's the situation I am in, any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have an Optimus S.

I was running Reborn like a champ, I thought I'd try the 04282011 zeffie build for S&Gs. When I tried to flash it (after wiping everything), it said it installed successfully, but sits at the second (red and silver) lg screen.

So I ran my nandroid back to Reborn. After doing some reading, I was under the impression I needed to update my recovery to clockwork 3.0 or higher for 2.3 based roms. So I downloaded CW and updated with the latest rom for Optimus V figuring hey, what the hell, its close enough (N00b!). Went and opened the new recovery, wiped my phone, and tried the install of CM7 again. Its doing the same thing, sitting at the LG screen. I waited almost 30 minutes.

NOW, the CW recovery doesnt see my nan backup that Xionia's did. Its there on my card, CW doesnt do it. If I cd and ls on the sdcard, I can see the old backup just chilling there. I can't flash my reborn rom because of the "amend scripting is no longer supported on 2.3 Gingerbread" deal. I can't load (to my knowledge and research this morning) a new recovery FROM a recovery, even using ADB (I get to the last step "# flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img" and I get a "Failed error -1" message).

So, can anyone help me:
    - Describe how to load another recovery through ADB? Remember, I cannot get into a rom to use terminal
    - Can I adb my nandroid backup thats on my sdcard? CW doesn't have a nandroid option, just their own backups (or at least it doesnt see the one I have on there)
    or
    - Tell me how I can permanently brick this thing so Sprint doesn't know I tried this and get a new one using the insurance I've paid for years and never used :-P
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #29  

Try to fix with e-mode

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

i did the rom manager thing and now my optimus s only boots to the sprint logo and stays there... i told rom manager i ad a optimus v and then i did a flash rom option then reboot then now stuck at sprint screen edit: i can access <3ea> android sstem recovery... just dont kno where to go from there

i almost did this but saw there was no opt for opt s so decided to wait and read glad I did

I used rom manager and now all my google services are gone and my home button doesn't work! How can I get everything back to normal. Someone help me please!!!! I'm also a newb at all of this.
    Last edited by LocoMonoPendejo; 08-10-2011 at 03:40 PM.

ROM
    Drew's Stable CM7

Quote Originally Posted by LocoMonoPendejo View Post
    I used rom manager and now all my google services are gone and my home button doesn't work! How can I get everything back to normal. Someone help me please!!!! I'm also a newb at all of this.
    Did you make a Nandroid backup after you rooted but before you installed and used Rom Manager? If so, I would imagine you could just boot to recovery mode and just restore from that backup and be fine. If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me. I'm moderately new with the world of rooting.
    Rom: Drew's Stable CM 7.1.0 (Gingerbread 2.3.5)
    Custom Recovery: Xionia Clockwork Recovery

ROM
    Drew's Stable CM7

I emailed the Dev of Rom Manager and asked if he could put a warning in the app description so other Optimus S users don't get the app and brick themselves.
    Rom: Drew's Stable CM 7.1.0 (Gingerbread 2.3.5)
    Custom Recovery: Xionia Clockwork Recovery
    Thanked by:

I had already rooted and flashed my Optimus S, then added rom manager. I have not tried to change roms since, I will remove it... Thanks guys.

Oh, I forgot I did see they now support the Optimus V and used that setting.
    DROID Master

Global Posts
    791 Global Posts
    ROM

Optimus V does not equal Optimus S

ROM
    ThundeROM 1.8.3

so how do i fix this if i did use rom manager? i didnt see this thread until after my phone turned into a paperweight
    Punk a$$ b1tcH

This procedure might be helpful to you.

Un-Brick method for SOME forms of brick
    Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch - Elocity A7

I just gotta say...I really wish rom manager would start supporting the optimus s because i followed the custom recovery thread line for line, word for word, and it doesn't work on my device. Which i highly don't understand. Please ROM manager god! Work your greatness! lol

Quote Originally Posted by jas2743 View Post
    I just gotta say...I really wish rom manager would start supporting the optimus s because i followed the custom recovery thread line for line, word for word, and it doesn't work on my device. Which i highly don't understand. Please ROM manager god! Work your greatness! lol
    same story for me too!

Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    ROM
    DECKS ICS -MASON KERNEL

Quote Originally Posted by jas2743 View Post
    i followed the custom recovery thread line for line, word for word, and it doesn't work on my device.
    Read through the thread, first few pages, and last 3-4 pages, you should be able to get it to work.
    enjoying my ics evo4g

ROM
    ThundeROM 1.8.3

I used ROM manager to put a custom recovery on my optimus s. and failed miserably. whenever i went to reboot my phone afterwards, i thought everything was ok. i unlocked my phone and i didnt have service and none of the default apps that come with the phone were gone. Dialer, contacts, Browser, etc etc. I tried reverting back to my backup but none of the apps worked except for the games. go figure right? So when i tried to put a stock rom into the phone, i think i bricked it. the only folder left in my phone is the "clockworkmod" folder. if anyone can help me out, that would be great. I'm thinking maybe if someone can send me an entire backup of their phone so i can put it into the root of the sd card to see if it will work. or any suggestions to try would be great! thanks

Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    ROM
    DECKS ICS -MASON KERNEL

Quote Originally Posted by Kamron View Post
    This procedure might be helpful to you.

Un-Brick method for SOME forms of brick
    try this, it may work, but cant promise anything
    enjoying my ics evo4g

ROM
    ThundeROM 1.8.3

that doesnt work my phone is missing folders to make it work. can anyone upload a backup of their rom, kernel, or whatever is needed to get my phone back to normal? or does it not work that way?

EDIT:

I got that to work. But now my phone screen doesnt show anything. the only way i can see my screen is through screencast. When I go into screencast and click explore, there are 6 items. those 6 items are: config, persist, cache, sbin, data, and root. they are all "denied" how can i change this?
    Last edited by markhardy0877; 08-23-2011 at 01:01 AM.

I can promise you its not the end of your phone. Jondevere can help you fix it. Make sure you can tell him everything you ARE doing so he can kinda figure out what you're NOT doing. Just make sure you unzip all the stuff to the root of your SD card. Get the drivers for your phone and your USB debugging, SU, all that stuff... It CAN be fixed and my phone is living proof. Its providing the internet connection for me to be able to write this message.

ROM
    ThundeROM 1.8.3

I fixed my phone thanks for everyones help!

OMG I had it downloaded and installed ready to use then I came onto android central to find a good rom and saw this. <333 thank you so much!
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #49  

Quote Originally Posted by imhumanoid View Post
    OMG I had it downloaded and installed ready to use then I came onto android central to find a good rom and saw this. <333 thank you so much!
    Your welcome, good thing u read first

Can ROM Manager be used on the Optimus S to change roms on an already rooted Phone?
    I am currently using ReBorn ROM 2.1 (moving to ReBorn v2.2.4), Which I thought came with ROM Manager, I ask because of the Brick Warnings posted here on using ROM Manager with the Optimus S
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast