[BRICK WARNING] - ROM Manager on the Optimus S = BRICK !!!

jondevere

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I have noticed a large flood of new androidcentral users and I know the first place that they go to is the market. With that said I know lots of new users are tempted to use Rom Manager in the hope they will get root, recovery and a rom. This should not be used on the Optimus S. This device is not supported. The results of accidental usage is a brick aka broken. If you read thru the stickies and the most commented on threads you will find plenty of users with experience as well as detailed instructions on how to achieve root, custom recovery as well as some nice custom Roms.

Good luck and welcome to Androidcentral. :)

Last edited:

uberjam545

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Re: PSA - Do NOT use Rom Manager on the Optimus S

We should send some of our roms and recoveries to whoever is in charge of clockworkmod so that maybe we could get it supported. I remember trying to install a custom recovery with it back when i had just rooted my phone.

kmshadoze

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: [BRICK WARNING] - Do NOT use Rom Manager on the Optimus S

Thank you, Had I not read this I may have bricked my phone. If we cant use Rom Manager, how does one go about installing a custom mod onto Optimus S? I am rooted and everything, but would like to get Gingerbread on there (if possible) I have been trying to find a way to do it, and was about to use Rom Manager, when I saw this post (only thing i have seen to use it)

mike9670

DROID Master
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

Thank you, Had I not read this I may have bricked my phone. If we cant use Rom Manager, how does one go about installing a custom mod onto Optimus S? I am rooted and everything, but would like to get Gingerbread on there (if possible) I have been trying to find a way to do it, and was about to use Rom Manager, when I saw this post (only thing i have seen to use it)

The Stickies have it all right there: http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-...optimus-s-recoveries-roms-kernels-themes.html

Reactions: AncientGeek

blackops1125

Advisor
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site

Go to the stickies and fine the thread:
Custom recovery, Roms & kernals
There is a step by step process for each one.

I also have noticed the influx of these posts that start out with "I used Rom manger" even though we have said time & time again that it is not supported.

sent from my Reborn Optimus

v0mitr0n

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site

ROM manager = danger .. It's a great product, but can be seen as the "easy" way to flash. My suggestion is to read up, do some homework, then follow the excellent tutorials on this site.

jondevere

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I have talked with Nick and he is gonna see what he can do to get ahold of zefie. Once we talk to him we will see about getting xionia included into rom manager so its supported and hopefully less bricks. Thanks Nick :)

I assume next will be getting approval from the rom devs to post them as well in rom manager.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site

There's honestly no point in having the ROMs in ROM Manager because (I think) you have to pay to flash/download non-CM7 ROMs. Honestly who is going to want to pay to get something that's free here?

mike9670

DROID Master
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

Newbies aren't reading this. I'm seeing more and more bricks than when I z4 rooted back on v9

huroncom

May 3, 2011
Visit site

noob question,
i have flash rom cwm recovery via rom manager,
now, my phone stuck in there,

any idea?

sorry for my bad english :D

cboekhoven

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

I think you guys are being a little over zealous on this whole do not use Rom Manager. I read this thread before I rooted and put on CM7 using Rom Manager on my Optimus S with only one hiccup and it did not brick my phone. The first time I tried to flash CM7 with RM, I did get a boot loop at the CM7 logo. I rebooted into recovery and disabled the signature verification option, rebooted again after that and it booted into CM7 no problem.

The Main thing to know is to tell Rom Manager you have an Optimus V and to diable the signature verification in recovery

Oh and I rooted it earlier this week and got bored during math class yesterday and downloaded and flashed everything in class from the phone itself. Love AC Forums and sheer boredom lol

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site

I think you guys are being a little over zealous on this whole do not use Rom Manager. I read this thread before I rooted and put on CM7 using Rom Manager on my Optimus S with only one hiccup and it did not brick my phone. The first time I tried to flash CM7 with RM, I did get a boot loop at the CM7 logo. I rebooted into recovery and disabled the signature verification option, rebooted again after that and it booted into CM7 no problem.

The Main thing to know is to tell Rom Manager you have an Optimus V and to diable the signature verification in recovery

Oh and I rooted it earlier this week and got bored during math class yesterday and downloaded and flashed everything in class from the phone itself. Love AC Forums and sheer boredom lol

Yes you can use ROM Manager without bricking your phone, if you know what you are doing. The issue is that there are plenty of folks to don't know what they are doing and they choose the wrong option then they have a brick.

Until the Optimus S is specifically supported in ROM Manager, the safest thing to do is tell people not to use it. Or at least use EXTREME caution.

Reactions: Ebonh1

jondevere

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Bottom line... It's not a supported method until like drew said... Til they have Optimus S as an option. Most that want to use ROM Manager are looking for an easy way out and are in a hurry and brick their phone. So I think the sticky is warranted.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk