For those interested in a official 2.3 sprint upgrade for opt s

dizzle16

May 4, 2011
Visit site
I went over to androidforums.com today (just to check a link) went over to the optimus s forum where there is a post similar to one on this site with a title like "optimus s ships with 2.3 according to sprint.com" and apparently there is a woman who called sprint to verify this and was told it is true from an actual sprint representative. She was also told that optimus s owners may take their device into a sprint corporate store and have their phone manually updated to 2.3. I cannot confirm this as I'm on E.S.T and if sprint isn't closed it will be in 8 mins and I just don't feel like calling lol. But anyone who wants to check it out head over to androidforums.com>and choose LG optimus s like you would here and look for title I listed above. Me, myself am a little TOO happy with my root and cyanogenmod 7 so I have absolutely no interest in the official upgrade as my phone is just too sweet as it is lol

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

dizzle16

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: For those interested in a official 2.3 sprint upgrade for opt

I figured what the heck might as well try. The following was verified by sprint with MY OWN EARS LOL: The LG optimus s DOES, I REPEAT, DOES NOW SHIP WITH ANDROID 2.3. however all of us suckers who bought it before last week can't get it lol. Its not available as an update, but it DOES NOW HAVE 2.3 STOCK. boy would I be pissed if I actually wanted that update lol. Feel free to make your own calls though guys. Its worth a shot.

P.s. my opinion now is the update wont ever arrive, but this will be used to lure new customers. " We offer the LG optimus s which is free if you sign up with us today
It offers the newest version of android blah blah blah

scrosler

ROM Developer
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site

WOW, Just WOW! It does say on the website that it now ships with 2.3.

But on the same note Sprint said that is a mistake and it does not ship with 2.3.

Not sure who to believe: http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/72526

I think I will swing by the sprint store tomorrow and see what they say.

Last edited:

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site

WOW, Just WOW! It does say on the website that it now ships with 2.3.

But on the same note Sprint said that is a mistake and it does not ship with 2.3.

Not sure who to believe: Sprint Community: LG Optimus S 2.3 Android Update....

I think I will swing by the sprint store tomorrow and see what they say.

That's an interesting find! I'm tempted to call my local Sprint store and get the final truth.

scrosler

ROM Developer
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site

For the hell of it I tried the LG Update tool and it said I had latest version, VD.

Just sayin...

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site

For the hell of it I tried the LG Update tool and it said I had latest version, VD.

Just sayin...

I just talked to Sprint Customer Care. As per the conversation, it was confirmed that new Optimus S devices do indeed come with Android 2.3 Gingerbread, and Sprint is in the process of pushing an update, but the representative I spoke with could not however confirm a specific timeline.

I bet here in not too long we'll have the update.

EDIT: I tried that too, just before calling Sprint. No dice.

EDIT 2: The OTA update will be un-rootable guaranteed. But if they also push it through the LG update tool (which they should), it will definitely be rootable with that.

Reactions: manny29

scrosler

ROM Developer
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site

I just talked to Sprint Customer Care. As per the conversation, it was confirmed that new Optimus S devices do indeed come with Android 2.3 Gingerbread, and Sprint is in the process of pushing an update, but the representative I spoke with could not however confirm a specific timeline.

SWEET!

hamagc

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site

EDIT: I tried that too, just before calling Sprint. No dice.

EDIT 2: The OTA update will be un-rootable guaranteed. But if they also push it through the LG update tool (which they should), it will definitely be rootable with that.

Unrootable period or until someone figures it out. There's always a way :)

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site

Unrootable period or until someone figures it out. There's always a way :)

Remember how ZVD was originally rooted? That's how the 2.3 update will be rooted too. No exploit, just pure hackery. Technically speaking the rooting method/guide for the 2.3 update has already been written, pending the actual release of the update. Again I must say, the OTA update will be unrootable, but the version that the LG Mobile Support tool installs won't be.

EDIT: Also, we have KP500. If it's unrootable, those who accidentally updated have an easy way to revert.

Last edited:

sblood86

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site

Remember how ZVD was originally rooted? That's how the 2.3 update will be rooted too. No exploit, just pure hackery. Technically speaking the rooting method/guide for the 2.3 update has already been written, pending the actual release of the update. Again I must say, the OTA update will be unrootable, but the version that the LG Mobile Support tool installs won't be.

EDIT: Also, we have KP500. If it's unrootable, those who accidentally updated have an easy way to revert.

Revert back to VD and root from there lol... Still easier than reverting from VD to V9 on the new screens ;)

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site

Revert back to VD and root from there lol... Still easier than reverting from VD to V9 on the new screens ;)

Yep! All I will have to do is copy-paste the original ZVD rooting guide and switch a few version names around then bingo!

hamagc

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
I tried going to my corp store but they closed at 6. Ill go in the morning. See if I can get an update. See what they have to say lol

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
I tried going to my corp store but they closed at 6. Ill go in the morning. See if I can get an update. See what they have to say lol

Yeah that is my plan for tomorrow too. Here's a bit of advice: check the SW version on the floor model. If that's running Gingerbread and they won't update you demand a device swap if you want it bad enough.

scrosler

ROM Developer
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site

Do that then do a System Dump. We are counting on you ;)

But for real... post a system dump after you get the upgrade.

Edit1: Also, can the baseband be grabbed without root? Prolly not but just figured I would ask.
Edit2: Thats of course assuming it cant be rooted right away...
Edit3: And post the software version and baseband version...

Last edited:

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
No system dump without root. And I guarantee the OTA/in-store update will be unrootable. I'll be getting a system dump when the update rolls out via LG Mobile Support.

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Not true....

"adb pull /system"

Works fine on both un-rooted phones I have (Evo 3D and Optimus S)

Yes, I returned to stock just to test this... lol

Have you used that to make a ROM?

EDIT: Err, never mind I was incorrect. But I bet there will be a radio update involved so until root is acquired a system dump doesn't do much good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junkie XL