Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Activated, no data - help please

Hi all,

Let me start by saying this site is great - I've spent the last few days on the site searching and trying to figure out what I can do. I bought an optimus s on craigslist after verifying the ESN was clean. Well, when I tried activating it on line, the esn seems to be tied to a HTC touch pro 2. I can get voice and sms, but no data. How can I fix this? I know I cant call sprint cuz they think it's a touch pro 2, but I dont want to be out the money I spent on the phone. Any thoughts? Also, I tried playing with the phone settings on CDMA workshop to see if I could get the data to work, but no luck so far. Any help would be appreciated. Last, I was able to root it and put the clean rom version, but still no luck.

Global Posts
    2,539 Global Posts
    ROM
    HydroROM

Default Re: Activated, no data - help please

AFAIK, if the ESN is for an entirely different device data won't ever work.

Side note, how did you verify the ESN was clean? IMO if the ESN is for a device you don't even own it is most definitely NOT clean.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by drewwalton19216801 View Post
    Side note, how did you verify the ESN was clean? IMO if the ESN is for a device you don't even own it is most definitely NOT clean.
    Thanks for your reply, it sounds like i'm stuck, but hopefully someone has some other option. As for the ESN, I called sprint and told them I was going to buy a phone and wanted to make sure I could activate it - I gave them the esn and they said it was ready to activate, but I didnt activate it over the phone cuz I wanted to root it first.

Anyone have any ideas as to what I could do with the phone now aside from use it in airplane mode all the time to browse the internet via wi-fi?

ROM
    Rooted Jellybean, CM 7.2

Quote Originally Posted by pmjunior View Post
    Hi all,

Let me start by saying this site is great - I've spent the last few days on the site searching and trying to figure out what I can do. I bought an optimus s on craigslist after verifying the ESN was clean. Well, when I tried activating it on line, the esn seems to be tied to a HTC touch pro 2. I can get voice and sms, but no data. How can I fix this? I know I cant call sprint cuz they think it's a touch pro 2, but I dont want to be out the money I spent on the phone. Any thoughts? Also, I tried playing with the phone settings on CDMA workshop to see if I could get the data to work, but no luck so far. Any help would be appreciated. Last, I was able to root it and put the clean rom version, but still no luck.
    One of the forum posts has a Stock VD nandroid dump.

Make sure you have this recovery flashed:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-...rc-sprint.html

Then - do a current nandroid backup

Then - do a wipe of data/cache

Then - restore this stock VD nandroid backup:

Gingerbreaked Stock VD

Let the stock VD bootup - but don't do any setups whatsoever, just let it boot.

Once you get in the ROM, goto Settings -> About Phone

Scroll down, Update PRL, then Update Profile, then reboot phone.

Once thats done - see if you have data.

If you do have data, go back into recovery and restore your nandroid backup you did at the
    start of this post, or flash whatever new Rom you want to try.
    Soylent Green Is People!
    Sprint - Samsung Galaxy S3 --- Rooted, Tweaked, & Obfuscated
    Jellybomb Domination 20.7.0 with all bloat removed - Philz Touch Recovery 6.0
    KToons 11/4/13 TW Kernel -- MK3 Modem/Radio -- PRL 25016
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by DoesItMatter View Post

Gingerbreaked Stock VD

If you do have data, go back into recovery and restore your nandroid backup you did at the
    Thanks for your post - I'll try this tonight and see if it works.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Gingerbreaked Stock VD

So, your directions worked - sort of. Let me explain:

I am able to have 3G access, the only thing is that it is down most of the time. If I toggle airplane mode, it will come back monemtarily, then be gone again. I've done a quick search on google and the forums and nothing seems to stick out (there was one post on a data issue similar to this on the Virgin network, but when I clicked the link the info was gone).

Any help on this issue? Once again, thanks for your help!

ROM
    Rooted Jellybean, CM 7.2

I am able to have 3G access, the only thing is that it is down most of the time. If I toggle airplane mode, it will come back monemtarily, then be gone again. I've done a quick search on google and the forums and nothing seems to stick out (there was one post on a data issue similar to this on the Virgin network, but when I clicked the link the info was gone).

You need to find one of your closest towers for testing.

IF you are near the tower and can get 3G or data signal, then it is working.

Sprint recently lost a bunch of roaming contracts in certain areas, so their coverage has gotten bad in some states.

If you can get a PRL update and Profile update, your data should be working.

Wireless Tower Locations from Sprint

Check that for locations close to your area.
    Soylent Green Is People!
    Sprint - Samsung Galaxy S3 --- Rooted, Tweaked, & Obfuscated
    Jellybomb Domination 20.7.0 with all bloat removed - Philz Touch Recovery 6.0
    KToons 11/4/13 TW Kernel -- MK3 Modem/Radio -- PRL 25016

Gingerbreaked Stock VD

Followed your instructions and I am getting a network timeout when I try to update prl or profile, any ideas?

ROM
    kraven cm7/CM9

are you paying the $10 extra data plan? See if the htc touch requires that. Probably not legal anyways activating that phone

it looks like you are blacklisted or something is wrong with the credentials of the phone.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

You need to find one of your closest towers for testing.

IF you are near the tower and can get 3G or data signal, then it is working.

Sprint recently lost a bunch of roaming contracts in certain areas, so their coverage has gotten bad in some states.

If you can get a PRL update and Profile update, your data should be working.

Wireless Tower Locations from Sprint

Check that for locations close to your area.
    I checked that link and it does take me to sprints site, but the map only indicates new or future towers. It might help to mention that I live near downtown Los Angeles, and up until I switched to the optimus reception was really good. Voice coverage is good, but data continues to come in and out, and switches often from 3g to 1x. I'll try and drive around with the intention of testing the signal this weekend when I have more time and report any new findings. For now, I'm a little nervous about changing the rom since it's been such a trek trying to get data to work.

Oh, one more thing. Every time I try to update the prl I get a network time out - it seems as soon as i activate that request the data drops all together. Any ideas?

Thanks again.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by thekraven View Post
    are you paying the $10 extra data plan? See if the htc touch requires that. Probably not legal anyways activating that phone
    Before activating the phone I already had an old "fair and flexible" plan that included data and messaging - since i'm on an old plan, I'm not subject to the $10 add on.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by dov717 View Post
    Followed your instructions and I am getting a network timeout when I try to update prl or profile, any ideas?
    I also got this message but I left the phone alone for a long time and when I checked it again the data indicator (1x) had come up - when I saw it i updated the profile and it worked just fine (the download of the profile). After that data has been functional (more or less)