Gingerbread is here!

droid_filter

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
You do not need to unroot.

In fact, if you want to root ZVH, it helps to already be rooted with your existing ROM.

See the rooting ZVH instructions in my signature.

I've got to ask probably a silly question. Why don't you have to unroot? Is it because this is a full update like you mentioned before?

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I've got to ask probably a silly question. Why don't you have to unroot? Is it because this is a full update like you mentioned before?
You don't need to unroot with other updates either. You just have to have the stock ROM files in place. With this update being a full update, you don't even need the stock ROM files in place. There is really no advantage to "unrooting", removing the su support files from /system because this update just formats /system anyway.

droid_filter

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Nice. That makes sense. Thanks for taking the time to clear up any misinformation and answering our questions. I know it helps me get a little clearer picture on how all this works.

en4cersc

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Can someone enlighten me....

3 of the features of the new gingerbread update state..

Camera application update - What exactly was changed?

Power management and task killer applications - Where exactly are these?

New Keyboard - Anyone get word suggestions to work correcty? It will only suggest words from my contacts list.

Ron_Who

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Can someone enlighten me....

3 of the features of the new gingerbread update state..

Camera application update - What exactly was changed?

Power management and task killer applications - Where exactly are these?

New Keyboard - Anyone get word suggestions to work correcty? It will only suggest words from my contacts list.
Got the update yesterday, and I too noticed these things.

The camera quality is the same, and I saw nothing new or changed whatsoever. Thankfully, it didn't make an negative affect either.

Not seeing them either, but in my opinion we're better off without the task killers. Power management seems about the same too.

I couldn't stand the new keyboard, and noticed the contacts suggestions. I just downloaded the GIngerbread keyboard from the market today, and it works much better. Ironically, it seems to do exactly what this new keyboard should have been doing according to the update.

Honestly, this update didn't live up the hype. It's probably because Optimus S is a mid-ranger Android device.

Reactions: basketthis

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
It seems counterintuitive the way they made the new status icons work.

Before the GPS icon would blink when it was acquiring signal and become solid when it got a fix.
Now it works the opposite, so it begs for your attention when nothing is wrong.

Before you just had a solid triangle to indicate roaming. Now it likes to blink all the time.

The status bar stuff is so tiny. It feels they just ran a pencil over the old status bar, using it as a stencil.

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I'll keep my Cyanogenmod Gingerbread until Drew releases the next RC then I'll unroot and move on up. I'm happy where I'm at for the time being.

Sent from my CM7 LG-LS670 using Tapatalk.

Ron_Who

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Another thing that I've noticed since the update: my gmail and sync has been acting strange. When I go online via my PC, I'm notified that I have a email. However, it doesn't alert me on my phone. Once I update my profile, then it notifies me.

Has this been happening to anyone else? If I could undo the update.I would, because before I wasn't having any MAJOR issues.

mkbruin

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Still waiting for the OTA... is there a schedule, or a way to force the OTA?

Will it be easier, or harder to root with the update? I am not looking for a custom rom, I just need better control over internal memory allocations.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
my updates showing up
im unrooted if i update will it affect my installed programs or contacts/txts etc thx
It is supposed to work with your existing set up, but sometimes it can have issues. In some instances you can get recurring force closes. In rare instances your phone might not boot. You should always back up stuff you find important before any update whether it is official or not. Just a good habit to get into.

If you want to root the ZVH update you are better off following the ZVH/GingerBread rooting instructions in my signature. It is more painful to root after you've updated to ZVH (while using stock VD recovery) and later decide you want to root.

kb64

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Gingerbread started downloading sometime last night. I didn't even know it til I went to settings to see if I could upgrade, and it was already at 91%. I didn't know it would just start like that, but what do I know. I have (I'm almost embarresed to say) a completly stock phone, and it appears to be working ok. I will post more info as I have a chance to really check it out.

mcbrett

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
kb64-

When you say it started downloading last night, are you referring to an official OTA update of gingerbread or the unofficial one from a site? When I check for an update on mine- it says up to date with froyo.

mesocyclone

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm noticing a few people have reported this in other threads, with not much response. Since the OTA update, applied this morning, I'm not able to charge with a standard micro-USB cable or get a PC to recognize the device over USB. Any ideas that don't involve me rolling back?

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
If it was widespread, there would be responses. The phone I had was able to charge via usb port on notebook and via the included wall charger, both after the ZVH update.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar