What's going on with the 2.3 update?

michikade#AC

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
It'll probably be back. Did you just back out of the OTA or did you see it somewhere else? The OTA will probably be repushed to your device sometime random. Happened to me like that.

Sent from my Sprint LG Optimus S running Gingerbread 2.3.3 using Tapatalk

Drumgod009

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I backed out of the OTA 3 times and it didn't come back after. When I go to my "about phone" and check for updates it doesn't pick it up either...

DoesItMatter

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Post what state you are in and ask for feedback on whether or not 2.3 is good in your area.

Some people have great success with 2.3

Others can't stand it or get much worse reception than they had with 2.2

Don't be in a rush to update if your phone is working OK.

nnJim

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Consider yourself lucky you did not install it.

2.3 has pretty much hosed my Optimus. Bluetooth is now completely unreliable and pretty much unusable, USB connection to the computer constantly disconnects and is unusable because of that. (I did reinstall all drivers etc according to many posts) reading from the SD card fails randomly. the phone locks up and I have to pull out the battery at random times. the phone locks up during SMS messaging.

Needless to say I am PISSED! (forgive my language)

I even did a complete factory reset to the phone going to a bare bones 2.3 'from the box' mode and all problems still exist.

I am trying to track down ways to go back to 2.2 now....

aaarrggghh!!!! :mad:

michikade#AC

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
And I had the opposite experience. 2.3 is fantastic on my Optimus. I haven't had any major issues at all. YMMV as always on updates. It probably didn't give me issues because I haven't rooted the phone at any point.

Sent from my Vizio tablet using Tapatalk

jonathanm1978

Super-elite full-time dad
Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
And I had the opposite experience. 2.3 is fantastic on my Optimus. I haven't had any major issues at all. YMMV as always on updates. It probably didn't give me issues because I haven't rooted the phone at any point.

You are BADLY mistaken if you think that rooting the phone at any point creates a problem with the device. If ANYTHING, this is the furthest from the truth, rooting the device can make you hava more reliable and dependable device by installing the proper firmware, plus gives you extra options and goodies.

This update messed with peoples phones that don't even know what root means, and they never had anything wrong with their phone. Consider yourself lucky, I never rooted my phone, and when this update hit it, I had no choice but root the phone or do without. And I have THREE otpimus phones on my Sprint account, and all 3 were faced with problems.

So no, rooting does not, and wont ever create more problems than this update did unless you do it wrong or don't follow instructions as they are supposed to be followed. Someone has told you something totally wrong about rooting phones.

nnJim

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
My phone is not rooted, barely has any apps on it (factory resetting took care of that anyway) and is a couple of months old.

2.3 has almost made it unusable

nnJim

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
and when this update hit it, I had no choice but root the phone or do without.

Hi Jonathan,

Sounds like rooting fixed any problems 2.3 caused?

I am hoping the fact that they pulled 2.3 from updates means they realize it was junk and are going to roll out anew update soon. But that is probably wishful thinking and might have to go the root route.

michikade#AC

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Seems to me that some people who have attempted root without knowing 100% what they're doing tend to have issues. It isn't that I was told anything wrong, it's that it seems like a lot of people have had issues because of rollback or some other issues.

I apologize if i offended anyone, wasn't expecting to have a complete backlash. I know what rooting is and what it does, and I understand that some people find higher rates of performance out of their rooted device. I also understand how custom roms work and the appeal of them. I also know OTA updates can throw a monkey wrench in said customization.

fiyah

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I talked to sprint the other day cause the update screwed up my phone. They replaced and advised me that they pulled the update for now while they work on the major bugs and will be releasing it again when done

Sent from my LG-LS670 using Tapatalk

nnJim

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I talked to sprint the other day cause the update screwed up my phone. They replaced and advised me that they pulled the update for now while they work on the major bugs and will be releasing it again when done

Wow.. good news.. What did they replace? Did they roll your phone back?

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if they were provided the tools to roll-back. I saw Sprint techs posting on the revert thread in my signature using that as a guide to rollback.

fiyah

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
They replace my phone with a new one that had 2.2 on it. Thank God. I want nothing to do with GB till they fix it

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Consider yourself lucky you did not install it.

2.3 has pretty much hosed my Optimus. Bluetooth is now completely unreliable and pretty much unusable, USB connection to the computer constantly disconnects and is unusable because of that. (I did reinstall all drivers etc according to many posts) reading from the SD card fails randomly. the phone locks up and I have to pull out the battery at random times. the phone locks up during SMS messaging.

Needless to say I am PISSED! (forgive my language)

I even did a complete factory reset to the phone going to a bare bones 2.3 'from the box' mode and all problems still exist.

I am trying to track down ways to go back to 2.2 now....

aaarrggghh!!!! :mad:

I too had those problems. I use my phone to stream music to my car via bluetooth and 3 times since the GB update came out it will randomly just stop working. It still says I am connected and it wont let my phone disconnect or reconnect until I power cycle. I just went back to version 2.2 VD a few hours ago. It was pretty simple as long as you take your time and follow the directions carefully. Of course you need to get it so your phone doesn't randomly disconnect from the computer when connected via usb - which is just a matter of luck and persistence.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
My daughter updated last week,, never rooted this phone and it is completely screwed up.

EVO-LUTION 3D

nnJim

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if they were provided the tools to roll-back. I saw Sprint techs posting on the revert thread in my signature using that as a guide to rollback.

They replace my phone with a new one that had 2.2 on it. Thank God. I want nothing to do with GB till they fix it

It still says I am connected and it wont let my phone disconnect or reconnect until I power cycle. I just went back to version 2.2 VD a few hours ago. It was pretty simple as long as you take your time and follow the directions carefully..

Thanks to everyone for all this good info.... (!)

iBowToAndroid

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
They've pulled the update until LG has an update ready. For anyone who did install it and is still having issues, you can now be flashed back to Froyo if you're experiencing GB issues - just take it to any Sprint store that does service/repair, or PM me for the file.